TT1 V4 vs TT1 V3

TomTom Model(s)
TT1
I purchased a TT One last week and after reading this forum now realize I do not have the V4. I went by the store and they do have the V4's (I must have gotten the last older one) The store will exchange for a V4, but before I do, I am wondering what are the differences?

I know the maps are 665... vs 660... and are internal vs SD card
I know there is a different chip in the v4, however am uncertain which is better.
and I believe I read the V4's battery discharges quicker, but not by much.

I'm not sure about speed, memory size, difference in 660 maps vs 665

Are these facts true and does anyone know anyother differences?

I want to make sure I get the better of the 2 and it's worth the hassle with the store to exchange.

Whatsup, I own a One NE (V3) and I'm very happy with it. I've upgraded to the latest map set (v665) and have a 2GB card with a variety of custom POI's loaded as well - only problem encountered since I bought the unit was a faulty 12v charger cord. The cord was replaced for free!

Would I buy the V4? No! After reading some of the posts concerning the newer version you'd probably be better off with the V3 for the time being until all of the kinks are worked out. If you can afford it then why not get a more expensive model in lieu of the One altogether?

As for your other questions I'll have to defer to a more knowledgeable chap, like DF! ;)

ML

haha...thanks Mike, I help wherever I can :)

I'm not sure about speed, memory size, difference in 660 maps vs 665

In term's of speed, I assume you are refering to the Hammerhead vs. SirfIII. Yournav.com has reviewed the ONE XL, which has the the Hammerhead chip, and they consider it basically the same but you can read it hear - http://yournav.com/content/review/326/TomTom_ONE_XL_they_grow_up_so_fast.html

The difference between the 660 vs. 665 really depends on your area. In my case, I really haven't seen any improvement. The only thing that has changed is the POI databse between the two. I would have to say the 665 is better than the 660 because the 660 had a couple of restaurants in my area that either moved or out of business still listed.

I think there are really no major differences between the two.

Mike... Did you have to purchase v665 map. Tomtom support said that was my only option to upgrade map. Also how big is sd that comes with the tt1, the 2 gb is something you bought right?

DF ... so you think other then the minor map differences the v4 wouldn't have much advantage. The 1 gb internal flash drive has me intrigued as well.

I guess my main concern is that they may have "upgraded" in order to cut cost at the cost of quality.

Mike... Did you have to purchase v665 map. Tomtom support said that was my only option to upgrade map. Also how big is sd that comes with the tt1, the 2 gb is something you bought right?

DF ... so you think other then the minor map differences the v4 wouldn't have much advantage. The 1 gb internal flash drive has me intrigued as well.

I guess my main concern is that they may have "upgraded" in order to cut cost at the cost of quality.

The map for the "V3" version was updated automatically when I logged into TT Home for the first time. No charge! I don't think that policy has changed.

The switch to the single Hammerhead chip on the V4 was indeed a cost cutting tactic. Additionally, some of the navigation load was pushed to the main processor. Now, the main cpu's processing cycles must be shared between navigation and the user interface. As a result, the "V4" may show a slight performance decline. TomTom has stated that they don't think the typical user will notice much of a difference.

The onboard memory of the "V4" is just shy of 1GB. It can accommodate the 6.65 map package, but little else. If you want to add any additional functionality or a larger map (e.g. 6.75 - 1.4GB) to the device, you will need to invest in a 2GB SD card. The onboard memory and the external memory cannot be used concurrently. When the SD card goes in, the onboard memory is switched out.

In my opinion, there is no compelling reason to favor the V4 version...unless you have no interest in adding extra functionality or tend to worry about losing the memory card. One way or another, you are likely to opt for an external SD card...and use it exclusively. Add to the mix the fact that the V3 SiRFIII chip-set is dedicated to navigation, it's clear to me that in this instance, NEWER does not imply BETTER.

In answer to your questions WHATSUP, I got the v665 maps for only $6.00 (shipping fee) back in June via USPS; TomTom offered free upgrades except for a minimal shipping fee. If you can download it from their site then you can save a few bucks! You might find a thread here on the forum explaining the program. As for the One's original memory card, it's 1 gig. There's another thread here on the forum that will guide you through the process of upgrading to the 2GB card if you want to go that route.

Decisions, decisions, decisions! ;)

ML

The onboard memory of the "V4" is just shy of 1GB. It can accommodate the 6.65 map package, but little else. If you want to add any additional functionality or a larger map (e.g. 6.75 - 1.4GB) to the device, you will need to invest in a 2GB SD card. The onboard memory and the external memory cannot be used concurrently. When the SD card goes in, the onboard memory is switched out.

Just a thought here.... I see people wanting to upgrade to a 2gig SD card, from the 1gig SD that came with their v3. Whats the difference of that and adding a 2gig card to the v4 that uses the internal 1gig flash memory? Seems an equal to me. Niether can use both memory at the same time.

Add to the mix the fact that the V3 SiRFIII chip-set is dedicated to navigation, it's clear to me that in this instance, NEWER does not imply BETTER.[/SIZE]

Can you navigate AND use the user interface at the same time? I'm a new owner, so I dont know. But I have only been able to do 1 at a time, so it would seem to me it doesnt really matter if there is a dedicated chip for both funtions or not. Am I wrong?

I guess I'm saying I dont see a plus of one version over the other.

On Edit: Ok, I see how the one chip doing both process' could make things a bit slower. Being as I dont have a V3 to benchmark with, I dont know the differences.

Last edited:
People want to use a 2G card when they want to install the North America map on their unit which requires at least 1G.

Ask a Question