TT1 randomly gets formatted

Ok, so the day after I got this, I plugged it up to my computer to update the maps and see what all I could do to it. Somehow I ended up screwing it up, as it was saying that there was no Navigator App on the SD card. I tried formatting in thru my laptop's card reader, but had no luck in getting it to work. Then I tried it on my friends, and formatted a new 2gb card.

This worked! I was on top of the world, I had created a custom splash, and also added all kinds of POIs that I downloaded. Then today it did that same thing as before. This time I remembered the sequence of events:

1. TT1 working fine
2. Turn on TT1 and plug in USB. YES, connect to Computer
3. TT home starts and finds what's installed on TT
4. Windows tells me I have inserted a flash drive. I choose to explore it.
5. I go to create a new folder in my offroad1.6 directory. Windows gives an error.
6. TT home still shows it as connected, I try to click eject but it says its busy
7. I Let windows stop the USB device and unplug it.
8. Now windows says the card is not formatted and TT home does not recognize it!!!! When disconnected the TT won't boot, showing the error that the card has no software on it.

How can I fix this?

Use FAT not FAT32 or NTFS when formatting the card.

TomTom, most MP3 players, digital cameras, etc., use FAT. If you have a Mac, I'm not sure what you do, but if you are on XP or Vista, you specifically do not want to format the card FAT32 or NTFS.

In XP Windows Explorer, right-click on the SD card, then choose FORMAT

Select FAT from the drop-down options for "FILE SYSTEM". See the example link below.

I don't know for sure if this is where you are having a problem, but it is an easy step to check. Good luck.

Click Me!

thanks for the tip, but that is what I did to eventually get it working. The main problem I had was just the fact that it got screwed up in the first place. I guess it has somthing to do with not ejecting the unit form TOMTOM Home. I used the windows stop hardware since TT Home kept telling me the unit was busy, when it really wasn't.

I have a USB card-reader that I use for the memory card in my digital camera, and it frequently won't "stop" when I tell it to. Sometimes the Windows "stop hardware" doesn't work either. I've gotten into the habit of just shutting off my computer when I want to remove the card reader, just to be safe.

Maybe that's the best thing to do with your TT and its card, once you get it properly formatted?

B

Ask a Question