TT ONE firmware 6.56 released

After some trouble installing the 2006 maps and the 6.56 firmware the weekend I took the ONE for a drive this morning.

- First thing I noticed was that the device was completely discharged, strange it was fully charged when I turned it off last night.

- Driving from my house towards the highway the ONE wanted me to turn left at an intersection with a 4 lane street, with no light, what, there is no way to cross that street at that location. The old ONE would let me turn a few streets before where there was a light.

- Driving North towards Santa Monica on the 405, the ONE only told me to take the 10 East when I was right on the exit. This is not right, the old maps would tell me 2.0 miles before the turn that I have to turn.

- Getting to the office I switched the ONE off, I noticed that it took much longer than normal to turn off. And instead of turning off, the ONE resets and reboots. It kept on doing this, it never wants to turn off. No wonder the batteries ran out last night.

I tried call TomTom support, all I keep getting is all circuits are busy, try again later...

fixed my problem. i guess i had a defected device before. just got a replacement from Dell and went through same motions of upgrading it. everything is done and it works great.

alex

After some trouble installing the 2006 maps and the 6.56 firmware the weekend I took the ONE for a drive this morning.

- First thing I noticed was that the device was completely discharged, strange it was fully charged when I turned it off last night.

- Driving from my house towards the highway the ONE wanted me to turn left at an intersection with a 4 lane street, with no light, what, there is no way to cross that street at that location. The old ONE would let me turn a few streets before where there was a light.

- Driving North towards Santa Monica on the 405, the ONE only told me to take the 10 East when I was right on the exit. This is not right, the old maps would tell me 2.0 miles before the turn that I have to turn.

- Getting to the office I switched the ONE off, I noticed that it took much longer than normal to turn off. And instead of turning off, the ONE resets and reboots. It kept on doing this, it never wants to turn off. No wonder the batteries ran out last night.

I tried call TomTom support, all I keep getting is all circuits are busy, try again later...

Did you install the USA & Canada map or the North America map?

ptr727, did you install the app from the DVD? The odd behavior of your ONE reminds me of what I went through. The first time around, I just installed the maps only and left the app on the device, and it acted just as you've described. The solution for me was to completely wipe everything off the SD card (after a full backup, of course) and start from scratch, installing the app AND the maps and any voices from the upgrade DVD. From there, everything was back to normal again.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I installed USA & Canada map, the North America map does not fit on my 1GB card.
2GB card :p

I've installed USA_and_Canada and I have a lot of space left. However, I hope the North America map is more of an upgrade cause the USA_and_Canada sure isn't in my area.

ptr727, did you install the app from the DVD? The odd behavior of your ONE reminds me of what I went through. The first time around, I just installed the maps only and left the app on the device, and it acted just as you've described. The solution for me was to completely wipe everything off the SD card (after a full backup, of course) and start from scratch, installing the app AND the maps and any voices from the upgrade DVD. From there, everything was back to normal again.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I tried several install techniques:

Worst: Any order and any update that allows the new ONE 6.56 firmware and QuickFix to install. From my experience all problems stem from the 6.56 firmware update.

Best: Format SD card FAT32. Install the USA & Canada map (I have a 1GB card) and voices from the 2006 DVD, and install the application from the 2006DVD. Do not let HOME update the ONE application installed from the DVD, stay with the application from the DVD.

Todo: I have yet to drive on the same highway with the map and application from the DVD to test if it resolves some of the problems I experienced with the DVD map and 6.56 app. During the week I take "avoid freeways" routes and they seem ok so far.

I tried several install techniques:

Worst: Any order and any update that allows the new ONE 6.56 firmware and QuickFix to install. From my experience all problems stem from the 6.56 firmware update.
If you want to test with the 6.52 firmware I still have it...

nextourer, the maps are identical, it's just you get more POI data with the North America maps. Also, you get water masses, but the road data is the exact same.

Yeah, that stinks. Here's hoping for improvement NEXT time.

Is anything better in your area? Or is it mainly the same?

I am now running the USA & Canada maps and the matching application software from the 2006 DVD, I did not apply the online upgrade of the application, all the maps, voices, and application software comes from the 2006 map DVD.

Here is another example of how the 2006 map routing is broken:
Coming from Santa Monica driving East on the 10 with a destination that requires taking the 405 South towards Long Beach. TomTom 2006 map tells me my next turn is the 10 East, the distance about coincides with the 405 South turnoff but it says 10 East, and I am already on the 10 East. About 50 yards from the actual 405 South turnoff TomTom tells me to take the 405 South, if I didn't know where I was going and I wasn't in the correct lane I would not have been able to take the offramp!

The old maps would tell me to take the 405 South 2 miles before the turnoff.

Is anybody else experiencing routing problems?

if I didn't know where I was going and I wasn't in the correct lane I would not have been able to take the offramp!
I have a few of those here in New england too, but luckily I've been riding Motorcycles for 20+ years and seem to know every road up here like the back of my hand. It's rather intersting to see the route that TT takes me on sometimes. It's different and not the way I would have chosen. But it does get me there. On ocassion it wants me to jump a 4 foot curb or us someone's "U-Shape" driveway as a short-cut, but I ignore that, usually make that spot a favorite real quick so that when I am home I can update TeleAtlas, then remove the "favorite" (Is there a better way of doing that? - don't post reply here, PM me if it's already posted, or post the link to it here please)

But for someone not from around here... yeah that could be serious trouble!

it's not a perfect device, it's a guide. I believe when you turn your TT on from a cold boot, it has a disclaimer about just that... (I think so they can't be sued if you follow the device's direction and kill someone).

it's not a perfect device, it's a guide. I believe when you turn your TT on from a cold boot, it has a disclaimer about just that... (I think so they can't be sued if you follow the device's direction and kill someone).

I agree, but my point was really that the original maps that came with the device did not exhibit any of these problems, it is only a problem with the new maps.

aka data entry clerk typo :D ....or something along those lines... something didn't pass QA that's for sure!

(are we QA???)

Ask a Question