TT GO 930 and SD card

Hi everyone
As a first time buyer of TT and ignorance involved, I had no idea about the external SD card but anyway, here is my question.
I started saving favourites and after around 30 + savings, the TT said that I had no more space for more favourites, this is when I realised that I had to buy a SD card.
Now my question is, how do I get all the favourites moved in the SD card and more importantly, will the new favs be stored in the SD card?
Any suggestions on how to go about doing all this, will be very appreciated. Remember, I'm a newbe so please make it simple to understand.
Thank you all in advance.

Dimitri

The issue is not the size of the card but, rather, the maximum number of favourites you can store (in a file called mapsettings.cfg which resides in the specific map folder). I think it is 48.

Many find it more convenient to download a program called poiedit from PoiEdit - Main and open the mapsettings.cfg file in poiedit.

Now, create a custom poi category called, say, My_Favourites and save each of the favourites (using poiedit) as an individual poi that goes into your custom category. Then put that My_Favourites.ov2 file directly into the specific map folder. You can have as many individual poi's as you want in that category, no limit.

Name the file "_My Favourites" (without the "") but notice the _ sign added at the start of the file name, this will put the POI file at the top of any POI index pages saving you scrolling through them all - Mike

Once you have the file in the ov2 format use Windows Explorer to copy the file to the map folder on your device, it will be named North_America or Western_Europe.

With the file in the correct folder the POI category will show up on the device - Mike

The issue is not the size of the card but, rather, the maximum number of favourites you can store (in a file called mapsettings.cfg which resides in the specific map folder). I think it is 48.

Many find it more convenient to download a program called poiedit from PoiEdit - Main and open the mapsettings.cfg file in poiedit.

Sorry guys but I'm really confused. Where do I find this file? Is it part pf TT? I did a file search and nothing came up.

You will find the MapSettings.cfg file in the North America map folder or whatever region map folder you are using - Mike

SD Card recognition in TT920

I am looking at all the threads I can find and I think I have tried everything suggested except for formatting the SD card. I have a SanDisk card reader but have no idea how to format the SD calrd. I have bought both a 2GB SD and an 8 GB SDHC and neither seems to get recognized by the Tom Tom. It does get recognized in the reader and in my laptop as a removable drive, but I can not get Tom Tom Home to recognize what is on the card even after I backed it up. I am lost. Please advise. Thank you.

You do not give enough information to give specific advice.

For example, the Go series of models, the 7x and 9x models, using the application of 8.3 or higher, can handle sdhc cards up to 32 gigs in size.

The other models cannot use sdhc cards with any sort of reliability at all. The best for the XL series is a 2 gig sd card.

GO 930, SD Card, Greyed out Menu options

My new TT 930GT arrived yesterday and have been taking as much advice as I can find on this wonderful forum. (Explorer Backup etc).

I noticed there was little free memory on the internal "drive", so reformatted a 4Gb SD (non-HC) card as FAT32 on my PC and inserted it.

As the TT had bizarrely, I thought, apparently come without voices installed, I told TT Home to use the SD card to install stuff.

The voice went on and all seemed well.

Then I was exploring TT Home as it was unfamiliar to me having only used Home 1.5 with my IPAQ previously.

I thought I'd try a backup just for the heck. "Your TomTom does not support this". Plan a route? "Your TomTom does not support this". Had a quick search on here and saw someone had had a problem with an SD card. I removed the card and next time I ran Home, I was able to perform the functions which were not available with the card inserted. Yes, I had tried selecting "install to Internal Memory" before this, but that made no difference.

So how can I get an SD card to work without it disabling many functions within Home and, who knows, elsewhere? Does it have to be an SDHC?

Thanks.
John

Use Explorer to make sure the application is on internal (all the loose files). Keep the card for maps, mp3 files, photos. The Loquendo and voice folders seem to work best if on internal as well.

Sometimes, in its stupidness, Home installs things NOT where you said. For example, you have it install a computer voice and select internal but it really does it on the card or on both.

So, hunt around with Explorer to see what is where.

Also, try a pin reset on the unit.

Will carefully nose around, thanks. I don't want to break anything. Maybe try with a fresh SD card?

It's working well at the moment. Free Map updates worked for both W Europe and N America maps. It was slow downloading, though, and the W Europe one failed after an hour or so. Retried this morning and it worked well, if slowly. Even my Internet connection here in slow old Spain is not that slow!

Just had my first test drive and I love this machine! Just one thing: 100% volume seems a bit quiet.

John, I would suggest you move one of the maps to the SD card and leave everything else on the device, this way is cleaner and easier to understand whats going on as Home has a tendency to mess things up if you spread voices and other files between the two storage mediums - Mike

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply I had left the page open when we went shopping and replied when I got home!

As for the volume make sure you deselect the tick box for "Link volume to car speed" or is it "Link volume to noise level" as this option tends to do the opposite as to what it should do! - Mike

Thanks Mike. Volume: Will do that. The speed related setting is checked at the moment.

What's the safe way of moving a map to SD? Should I get myself an SDHC first?

We are off to the USA in the not too distant where TT will come into its own. So I guess I'll keep the N. America map on the device and move Europe to the card. We won't be going far in Spain before that trip.

Though I'd been using TomTom on my IPAQ for quite a while, I feel I am now in the world of proper TomTom. I'd downloaded a new Spain map last year and could not understand why all the new roads were not on it (subsequently discovered that map not updated since 2007. Feel I ought to get my money back! But that's off topic, again).

They are certainly on now. Much better. So pleased I made the move.

I'm not Mike...........:D

Yes, get a FOUR gig sdhc card and simply use Explorer to move one of the specific map folders to the card. Your unit will find it when you go to Manage Maps-->Switch maps.

Thanks.

Just been looking at Mapshare. I seem to be setup for Mapshare for the W Europe maps but not for the N America ones. I can't see how to get those.

Sorry for being a pest.

Not a pest at all..........

Once you get the mapshares for one map, then use the Emulator to Manage Maps--Switch maps and select the other map. Then get out of 'Opeate my Go' and do the Update My Unit again.

Another way is to use Home and Device--Switch device. Select the card where the other map resides. And do the 'Update....." again.

Got it. Gosh, it's easy when you know how. It's just a matter of finding the how. How do people who have not found this forum manage?

I am now trying to register my product online. I have been entering the Device Code as the required Product Code, but that is obviously not right. Where do I find the Product Code? I have reams of stuff in front of me from "System Information" in the Help menu on Home, but no product code there. It's not on the box. Not on the CD sleeve. Can't find it in any menus. Sorry.

Ask a Question