Go930 and MP3s on an SD card

TomTom Model(s)
Go930 (NA, NZ, West Europe and OZ Maps) XXL540(Oz Map)
Hi all,

Got around to putting some Mp3 files onto an SD card for the 930.

Copied them across using an SD- USB adapter on an XP platform PC.

Put the SD card in the 930, which read the file array (I remembered to put the MP3 files in an MP3 directory:)) and then happily decoded them and played to a radio via the FM link.

Good so far.

But when I wanted to upload some more files via the adapter, get a "do you want to format this card" message - Huh:confused:

SD card back in the 930 - connect to PC as an external device and there is the directory and the files it contains. Appears I can transfer more material via this link;)

But why?

I'm guessing that the 930. which I think has a linux based OS system, might have overwritten the boot sector to make it compatible during the original read of the array, so now the PC thinks it is an unformatted card.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Alan

Try re-booting the PC as it shouldn't be doing that at all, I take cards out of the devices on a regular basis and they allways read correctly in the PC card reader - Not too sure why your card is behaving this way but I am sure its not a fault with the TomTom thats caused the issue - Mike

But when I wanted to upload some more files via the adapter, get a "do you want to format this card" message - Huh:confused:

SD card back in the 930 - connect to PC as an external device and there is the directory and the files it contains. Appears I can transfer more material via this link;

Don't know but when I bought my 4 GB SDHC card almost two years ago It came with a USB to SD adapter. When I asked the sales assistant why he said some cheap multi-readers cannot handle HC cards.

I have never taken the card out in 21 months and just use it as an additional drive letter to which I drag things with Windows Explorer.

On a lark, I just tried and sure as heck the card is not recognised in my reader by immediately when I put it in the USB adapter.

Hi,

And thanks for the responses.

The card is a San Disk 4 GB SDHC card and the adapter is a SanDisk micromate with an SDHC logo, so I'm guessing it is neither of those.
But I can confirm Mike's expectation that a reboot would fix the problem.

Anyway it appears that I can load more files via the 930 in its desk dock, so there is a fall back position.

Cheers

Could be file corruption. You could try copying everything from the SD to your computer (using the 930 as a card reader), then formatting the SD using your computer's card reader, and copying back using the computer's card reader.

In my experience the 930 is a faster card reader than my built-in computer's SD reader. I don't see a need to bother with a separate SD reader unless you'd rather keep the 930 in the car.

Ask a Question