GO930 Mini USB broke

Just eyeballing it, but that certainly does look like a dandy replacement. Go easy on the ground lugs so that you don't lift the traces during replacement. Is the old one still solidly connected to the board?

Thank you for the reply and advice.

I have not opened the tomtom, but by the looks, it is solidly connected to the board.
The pin separator has come off and I can see only 5 pins inside the socket.

Attachments

• IMG_20140504_213136~2.jpg
    IMG_20140504_213136~2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
That's good -- glad it broke that way and not away from the PCB as is often the case (as often happens when units drop from windshield/dash while connected). The soldering job itself isn't all that bad, either.

Thank you so much for your help.
I bought the socket and it really looks very tiny for soldering (picture attached). So I was looking for near by mobile/laptop repair shop to fix it. I could not find one and now I decided to DIY.
I don't have the soldering kits. I would appreciate, if you can suggest one to buy from the site : http://cpc.farnell.com/soldering-irons-mains-operation&getResults=true
This is one time job and I don't want to buy an expensive soldering gun.

Once again, thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20140524_112016.jpg
    IMG_20140524_112016.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 384
After posting my previous message, I managed to find a mobile repairing shop. He refused to take the work and told, the device may not show the correct gps position after the fix and he suggested to buy a cheap one form argos.co.uk.

So, back to square one.

Let's start with this: "...the device may not show the correct gps position after the fix". Baloney. The repair of the connector has naught all to do with GPS accuracy. The components involved aren't even near each other on the board.

I'd try another shop.

Thanks for the help all the way. I managed to find another shop and got it replaced.

Now, it is charging with my computer USB port but not with car cigarette lighter charger.

Note : In the past, it used to charge with LG mobile charger, not any more after the socket replacement. So, no problem in the car cigarette lighter charger.

Now what could be the problem?

I assume you are using the stock TomTom charger in the car?

I can't think of anything at ALL that would cause it to charge from a PC but not from a car charger unless the car charger has problems of its own. It sounds as though your repair has been completed correctly if you can charge and talk to your unit with your PC.

One of the ways that the connector can come loose from the board is if the unit falls with the cable connected. I am wondering if the charger connector is still making good contact. Do you have another non-TomTom USB car charger that you could try? There aren't many being sold with the mini-B connector these days (they're almost all micro-B), but if you have one, please try it. If not, there are still a few around that are pretty inexpensive (example >> http://www.amazon.com/YarMonth-Prem...CMCQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402494832&sr=8-4 )

Ask a Question