Considering a Used GO930

Hi Everyone,

Hope the Christmas Season is treating all us well.

I am looking for a GPS that can do:

• MP3
  • FM
  • AUX
It appears that the closest thing I can get is the GO930.

I read a lot on the forum and it says that I will have to downgrade to older Firmware. I couldnt really find the post that shows you how to do that.

Questions:

1. If you want Mp3, FM, AUX, will you go for a 6 year old GO930?
2. Are there newer models that will satisfy my needs (wants)?
3. Where can i find the post that show you how to downgrade a GO930 Firmware?
4. Where can i download the old firmware nowadays?

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
Nelson

1. With that feature list, you're after an x20 or x30 unit for sure.
2. These features began disappearing (starting with the FM modulator) on the x40 models and have not returned since.
3. Why would you want to do this? Backing up can be a problem if you run into a situation where the older code requires an older bootloader.
4. We can point you to that if you can identify a) what version you want, or b) what you're trying to accomplish so we can get you the right version.. assuming it is possible to go from 'where you are' to 'where you want to go'. We'd first need to know the unit's current code level. See item #3, above.

Unless you plan to drive outside of Australia, the price of the 930 with its extra maps might be a bit more expensive than the 730.

In either case, be advised that a 6 year old unit may well need a battery transplant. They're not expensive, and we do have one or two tutorials that show you how to do it.

1. With that feature list, you're after an x20 or x30 unit for sure.
2. These features began disappearing (starting with the FM modulator) on the x40 models and have not returned since.
3. Why would you want to do this? Backing up can be a problem if you run into a situation where the older code requires an older bootloader.
4. We can point you to that if you can identify a) what version you want, or b) what you're trying to accomplish so we can get you the right version.. assuming it is possible to go from 'where you are' to 'where you want to go'. We'd first need to know the unit's current code level. See item #3, above.

Unless you plan to drive outside of Australia, the price of the 930 with its extra maps might be a bit more expensive than the 730.

In either case, be advised that a 6 year old unit may well need a battery transplant. They're not expensive, and we do have one or two tutorials that show you how to do it.

Hi Canderson,

Thanks for your prompt reply. (sorry for the double post!)

Yes, i heard that FM Transmission is disabled in newer Firmware, hence before I use "Buy-it-Now" on ebay, i better make sure that I can downgrade it to a Firmware that allows FM (which is the primary reason why I want a 930)

As for why i want a 930 rather than a 730, I really have no logical reason why i want that. Just that 9 is greater than 7? I don't know their spec.

The price of the 930 listed on eBay australia was $120, which i think is reasonable? :)

Cheers!
nelson

The differences between the 730 and 930 are few. The 930 adds an inertial navigation device that tries to track your location through tunnels and the like. It also comes with additional maps (here it was U.S. and Europe), and has 4GB of internal memory to manage the larger map set. Apart from that, there are no differences that I can recall.

While there are some nicer alternatives to using the FM modulator if you have "Aux In" capability on your vehicle's audio system, if you want FM, you'll want to use this little workaround that has kept users pretty happy and keeps TomTom out of trouble with local radio regulatory agencies: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=473677#473677

In essence, it was decided that 'dead air' was not allowed, particularly in the UK, so TomTom allows for FM direction transmission on the 720/730,920/930 units by having you also send *.mp3 music through your FM at all times. Of course, the first sharp user just made up a dead quiet *.mp3, played in continuous loop juke box mode, and that was that! The old link at the site mentioned above isn't there now, but since moderator Andy posted it, he probably knows where you can get a copy. With that solution, you wouldn't need to back up to an older version, and as noted, it may not be possible to back all the way up to it (8.302?) if the device has been updated to 9.XXX code as it should have been. We can sort that after you have it in hand and know the firmware version for certain.

The differences between the 730 and 930 are few. The 930 adds an inertial navigation device that tries to track your location through tunnels and the like. It also comes with additional maps (here it was U.S. and Europe), and has 4GB of internal memory to manage the larger map set. Apart from that, there are no differences that I can recall.

While there are some nicer alternatives to using the FM modulator if you have "Aux In" capability on your vehicle's audio system, if you want FM, you'll want to use this little workaround that has kept users pretty happy and keeps TomTom out of trouble with local radio regulatory agencies: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=473677#473677

In essence, it was decided that 'dead air' was not allowed, particularly in the UK, so TomTom allows for FM direction transmission on the 720/730,920/930 units by having you also send *.mp3 music through your FM at all times. Of course, the first sharp user just made up a dead quiet *.mp3, played in continuous loop juke box mode, and that was that! The old link at the site mentioned above isn't there now, but since moderator Andy posted it, he probably knows where you can get a copy. With that solution, you wouldn't need to back up to an older version, and as noted, it may not be possible to back all the way up to it (8.302?) if the device has been updated to 9.XXX code as it should have been. We can sort that after you have it in hand and know the firmware version for certain.

Hi Canderson! Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I have just bought a TOMTOM 930 and is pleased with it so far =)

Thanks again and have a Happy New Year.
nelson

Let us know what version firmware you find on the unit and we'll talk about the FM issue again then.

Where are you based Nelson? If you're in the UK or Europe, the GO940 still had the FM modulator, MP3 player and aux out.

Best Tomtom ever made as far as I'm concerned.

Ask a Question