Considering TomTom -- But Questions

I am a US-based user who is considering TomTom and Garmin for a low to mid-range GPS. I am familiar with Garmin from an older unit, but the maps are horribly out of date and it probably doesn't pay to update them. I do not need Bluetooth or high-end features, and do not care to pay for them.

I like the fact that TomTom has IQ Routes and what appears to be a much better POI database. One of my primary uses for a GPS is for locating restaurants, hotels, attractions, etc. when I travel, and I noticed that even the new Garmin units are missing quite a few both close to my home and in distant cities where I have traveled.

Both units appear to route slightly differently, but neither perfectly. The Navteq maps appear to be slightly more accurate than TeleAtlas in my area, though I've found errors in both.

I do not like that TomToms do not appear to set the time from the GPS source--this is basic functionality that Garmin has had for YEARS. The fact that the TomTom units do not automatically boot up when an external power source is applied is mildly annoying, but something that I could live with.

It appears that TomTom is moving toward EasyMenu on their low and mid-range units in the US, and that right now is an absolute deal-killer for me, primarily for one reason: no text directions. I do not fully trust the routing of any GPS unit, so I always review turn-by-turn directions to familiarize myself with the route calculated. I've heard about the secret "demo" mode on the EasyMenu systems, but from what I understand, that simply simulates driving the route, which isn't going to work when I pull over to route to a POI and want to review the route before I start driving again.

If TomTom is moving new systems to EasyMenu, what is the risk that they will "upgrade" older systems (like the 340) which now have full menus, and cripple them with EasyMenu in the future? I have to say, I don't think that TomTom is doing themselves many favors with EasyMenu. They've removed functionality that set them apart in the low and mid-range GPS products, and actually created something that is more feature limited than the Garmins they are competing with (which do show turn-by-turn text directions).

Does anyone have any thoughts or inside information regarding TomTom's plans for EasyMenu, or should I be safe if I choose an older unit (like the 340 or 540?)

Thanks,
JKG

It is only the new devices that are getting the dumbed down menu, they won't be applying dumbed down menus with reduced capability to the older models, how long this approach to releasing devices with dumbed down menus continues will only be known by TomTom but if units keep being sent back or sales figures drop then I would expect them to have a serious re-think.

Should the day ever arise where dumbed down menus/ reduced functionality are applied to the higher end Go devices then I am afraid I wouldn't have one in the car and it would be time to take a long hard look at some of the other hardware manufacturers devices - Mike

I'm probably out of date but what EasyMenu is?
Anyway, I thought every TT unit, regardless of high-end or low-end, does have turn-by-turn text direction. No?

No.

The newer versions come with 'Easy Menu' which has significantly fewer menu options, including viewing the route as text.......

Should the day ever arise where dumbed down menus/ reduced functionality are applied to the higher end Go devices then I am afraid I wouldn't have one in the car and it would be time to take a long hard look at some of the other hardware manufacturers devices - Mike

I completely agree. The main reason I bought my TT was for the features it had. I don't want nor would I own a "dumbed down" device. If TT continues to map their devices down this road they will lose my business. I want and am ready to pay for more useful features, not less.

Ditto to everyone who commented on EasyMenu. Sales and returns will dictate the lifespan of EasyMenu. If dumbed-down interface = more sales (like it did for the Garmin Nuvi), then it'll stay. If it results in returns, it'll die a short-lived death.

I do not like that TomToms do not appear to set the time from the GPS source--this is basic functionality that Garmin has had for YEARS. The fact that the TomTom units do not automatically boot up when an external power source is applied is mildly annoying, but something that I could live with.

You can sync to the GPS, so that the minutes are based on the satellite, and the hour is custom configured. (Tomtom doesn't recognize timezone so you have to input the hour)

Ask a Question