Regular SD Card for Tom Tom Go 930

TomTom Model(s)
930T
I am using Tom Tom Go 930 .

I have Lexar Platinum II 32GB 300X 45 mb/s

Can I use that to copy all my maps to that sd card ?

Because at the moment some of map(s) are reading from internal memory and some from sd card. I would like to copy all the maps from internal memory onto sd card so can save internal memory..

Could someone please tell me the procedure how to do this and make it read all the maps from my sd card instead of reading from internal memory ?

Thanks

With the card installed in the device and the device connected to the computer, open Windows file manager and you should see two drives represented by tomtom internal and the sdhc card as external drives. Simply copy the specific map folder from internal to the drive represented by the sdhc card. Once you are SURE the map folder has been copied to the sdhc card, delete it from the drive represented by the TomTom device.

Just be sure that your 930 firmware is up to at least version 8.302 or it won't work properly with a card larger than 2GB. There were of course many updates since then, but we never know whether users update their units or not.

Like you, many of us prefer to have our map sets on SD card, leaving whatever remains in internal memory.

Before performing any major moves, we recommend that you are sure you have a full backup of the content of your device, preferably done in this manner >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Would the Tom Tom Gp 930 be able to read a 32 gbs capcity sd card or more ?

What is maximum capacity it would able to use or is there a limit ?

Thanks

Due to FAT32 limitations, 32GB is the largest card that would work in that unit - or anything else that uses a FAT32 format, and it's actually a formatting problem. It MIGHT be possible to use 64GB, but would require that the card be partitioned into two 32GB partitions.

There's not many reasons to go as far as 32GB on a 930 to begin with. That's a ton of content for one of these devices!

Due to FAT32 limitations, 32GB is the largest card that would work in that unit - or anything else that uses a FAT32 format, and it's actually a formatting problem. It MIGHT be possible to use 64GB, but would require that the card be partitioned into two 32GB partitions.

There's not many reasons to go as far as 32GB on a 930 to begin with. That's a ton of content for one of these devices!

So Tom Tom Go 930 device only accepts Fat32 format ? It won't read SD cards formatted to exFat ?

Thanks

You're talking about a device produced in 2007, maybe 2008, and you need to remember that TomTom already got into a pissing contest over the FAT file system to begin with -- and sadly, the rest of the Linux community was MIA during the legal battle. exFAT is most definitely proprietary, and Microsoft isn't required to make a deal with TomTom for a restrictive license. exFAT is loaded with patented concepts, and so far, no one has been able to reverse engineer around them. It's pay for play, and so far, there's been no need for 64GB cards on TomTom devices, so there's certainly been nothing spurring them to approach Microsoft about a license.

Again, what do you plan that requires > 32GB?

When I got my 4 GB SDHC card in 2008 the original OS was still 7.xxx. To load the Europe map, which was part and parcel of the deal, it had to be a 4 GB SDHC card, neither a plain SD card nor a MicroSDHC.

7.xxx did not support writes to 4GB SDHC. Not sure how you could have gotten that to work. Your unit would have been, at a minimum, trying to update the MapSettings.cfg file when any map on the card was being used. Generally, firmware before 8.302 would read what was on the card, but writing was a major issue. That's why we had to encourage people who hadn't paid attention to updates to update their firmware to 8.302 or beyond when the maps 'grew'.

There were some 'interim' 'sorta SD' cards at 4GB that predated SDHC, but these were a non-standard extension of SD. Those worked on some consumer equipment, including some TT units. You sure you didn't have one of those as opposed to SDHC?

No, that original card is still in the 930.
I went back to my CS issues and see that it was shipped with 8.002.

Edit

Poor choice ow words.
Not the card but the device was shipped with OS 8.002.

Last edited:
Never had one of the 9XX models here, just 7XX.

Would be curious to see an image of any 4GB card that TomTom shipped prior to firmware 8.302.

Ah, OK. That makes sense. Still, there's no way that a true SDHC card should have worked properly with 8.002. Would have been, at best, read but not write. That's why when we were having to recommend backing up a build or three at one point that users with SDHC cards did NOT attempt to move back prior to 8.302. Even the bootloader was different at that point.

I can only search the last 200 post under my name.
If I could search the first 200 from 2008 I could probably get more details.
At one time I had kept every OS installed on the PC. I believe Andy_P on the Pink, later Green UK forum supplied some of the URLs for downloading. That is also how I could get back to 8.302 from 8.351.

The 930 came with the map of USA_Canada_and_Mexico. There was not enough space left to install the Europe_2GB map, the reason why I bought the TomTom instead of a low cost Magellan.
Had a hell of a time to get CS to give me that map. the first line people had no idea that it was included in the purchase price.

Ask a Question