How do I modify lexicon and Regular expression in XL

I am trying to fine tune the "Charlotte" computer voice (frenchCA) on my Tomtom.
The problem is that in the map, the road designations are english. All roads are designed as "Hwy" even the small country road.
I have been playing with the lexicon and the varius configuration files ( .ycf, .lcf, etc)
I have been quite successfull with the lexicon file, translating most of the things with a correct prononciation.
At first Charlotte was saying "ve 40" trying to pronounce Hwy 40. Now she says "autoroute 40"
By setting the debug file in loquendoTTS dir, I was able to catch a lot of errors from missing configuration files (that should have been in the package). I made all of them and now there are no more errors.
For some unknown reason even if I set the lexicon file to my own, the system is still asking for the RoadNrUsEnglish file. But that is not the concern for now.

The problem I have is that I would like Charlotte to say road 138 instead of Hyway 138.
This should come from the regular expression file (.rex)
There are some translation for US roads in the RoadNrEnglishUS.rex file. I tried modifying that so that roads with 3 digits should be named roads and 2 digits hyways.
So far no luck.
What I would like to know is how the 2 files (lexicon and regular expression) relate or interconnect together.
If I change " Hwy = autoroute" in lexicon file, then should I look for Hwy or autoroute in the .rex file.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I wanted to make sure one would understand the context.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ask a Question