SD Card for Go930

TomTom Model(s)
Go930
Hi, I am updating my Go930 maps and find the 4GB internal memory not sufficient, so I am installing an external SD card. What is the largest SD card I can fit? and can I use the 4GB SDHC card for example?
Ged

If your running one of the newer Navcore versions above 8.3 you can use up to a 32GB SDHC card.

For your device Navcore 8.351 is the newest version.

If your running and old Navcore version ( 930 started with 8.0 ) then you can use up to a 4GB SDHC.

Last edited:
Need help on what SD card to use

I have purchased a new 930 GO and looked on the TomTom site for the recomended SD memory size. 8 Gig SDHC was recomended. I then called TomTom and they confirmed this. The next time I called TomTom the rep. said do not use more than 4 gig and not high capacity. This will slow down the system too much and it will lag during operation. She said that everone at TomTom knows this. The next time I called back and inquiried the Rep. said that was not true and to use the 8 Gig High Capacity. Now I realy confused. Please help!

Performance Hit with SD Card

I have tried using a Class 6 8GB SD card in my 930. I transferred all of the files from the internal 930 memory to the SD card. I found that routing took about 20% longer with the SD card, versus internal memory, in back to back tests. Needless to say routing and rerouting takes long enough as it is... so now I am just using internal memory.

I suppose it might be a good idea just to carry an SD card with a backup in case the internal memory gets hosed, but I've never had that happen.

Last edited:
Ever since app 8.350, the new bootloader slowed down the reading of SD cards.

I keep everything on internal, and only leave music on the SD.

Did you ever run 8.350/8.351? The bootloader included in that version is what slowed down the SD. Bootloaders cannot be downgraded, so that slow SD speed will remain even if you downgrade your application.

and only leave music on the SD.

Even music can slow down if you use mp3 tracks sampled at 320KB/S even 256 will show a difference to normal audio, this fault goes back quite some time prior to the slow down of the SD card read speed, I just use the car system for music or my iFone via Bluetooth which does work even at 320KBP/S these days and leave the nav unit to do what its good at rather than being a "Jack of all trades" - Mike

I got the sense that 8.350's bootloader only slowed down writes to the SD. So it wouldn't have an impact with playing music.

Ask a Question