GO930 Doesn't Find mp3's on SD card

I have an 8 GB SD card installed in a GO930. The unit will find the mp3's in the internal memory but not on the card. I deleted the mp3 file from the internal memory so the only mp3 file is on the card but it still doesn't find it. The software version is 8.351.

tia,

Dwight

And it is a sdhc card, not a sd card?

When you look at the contents of the card using Explorer, does anything show up?

Try another card?

Although most people can use large-capacity SDHC cards in that model with no problem, TT themselves only recommend cards up to 4GB.

It would be worth trying another card (even a very small one with just a few mp3s) as an experiment..

Also the TT cannot cope very well with mp3s recorded at 320kb bit rate and cannot play ones recorded at variable bit rate at all.

Do you still have the sample music tracks that were in the mp3 folder on the internal memory?
Try one of those in an mp3 folder on a different card.

Try another card?

Although most people can use large-capacity SDHC cards in that model with no problem, TT themselves only recommend cards up to 4GB.
And at that, they continue to insist that these units support ONLY SD (not SDHC) cards -- they don't seem to realize that firmware 8.302 changed all that.

A 930 running 8.351 should handle an 8GB SDHC card just fine.

Like dhn says, time to look at the card with the PC over the USB interface.

And at that, they continue to insist that these units support ONLY SD (not SDHC) cards -- they don't seem to realize that firmware 8.302 changed all that.

It's not quite that bad...
You might not have seen this chart as I just realised it has "UK" in the URL

Which memory card for additional maps?

But it DOES say you can use SDHC (or micro SD which is HC anyway) in everything from the Gox20 forwards.

The odd thing is they still insist on 4GB max at the top of that chart.

They also never updated the page to mention the new "Class" ratings used nowadays for read/write speed.

dwightr8, what is the speed of the memory card that isn't working, it should have a class number printed on it?

If its too slow the TomTom will reject the card and simply not use any of the files stored on it - Mike

To give some comparison between the old speed ratings mentioned on that TomTom webpage and the new Class ratings...

SD_Card_Speeds.jpg

(More info on Wikipaedia here).

Last edited:
The card is a Kingston 8GB "50x" which according to the Kingston website is 7.5 mb/s so I guess that would equate to class 7.5 (or at least class 6). I did try an older SanDisk 512mb card (don't know the speed) and it worked fine so I assume the TT either doesn't like my particular card or doesn't like 8GB cards in general. I'm going to buy a 4GB card today and try that. I expect it should work. It's a bit frustrating if I can't use a bigger card as I have a lot of music and pictures I would like to load on.

Thanks again,

Dwight

The latest twist. I played around with the 8gb card for a while this morning and suddenly the TT decided it was ok and started playing music from it. I had to go to town (15 minute trip) and all was well. I turned the unit off when I went into a store and when I came out and turned it back on it suddenly wouldn't find the music on the card any more. I had put some pictures on the card and those still show up but not the music. I brought the unit in and hooked it up to the computer and can see everything on the card in explorer but the unit still can't find the music (it still displays the pictures ok). I had moved the European maps over to the card to free more internal memory and when I go into "Manage my GO" in Home it shows the maps as being on the card shows the correct free memory on the card. It just doesn't want to play mp3's from it. Very strange.

Dwight

There have been plenty of stories about problems with memory cards and some of them turned out to be bogus cards purchased off of resellers on EBay. You didn't happen to get this card on EBay or some other online auction site or retailer?

No, the card actually came with a computer I bought a few years ago and I've been using it off and on since in laptops and cameras and it has always worked fine.

Dwight

NI've been using it off and on since in laptops and cameras and it has always worked fine.

Ahh.. that might be relevant.
I think some cameras produced some slightly odd formatting of cards.

No-one has actually mentioned re-formatting yet. Have you done that?
Are you sure it is formatted to Fat32 and not anything else?

Think you are going to have to try a different card.

Ask a Question