TT GO 930 and SD card

No, not there either. I find DeviceSerialNumber & DeviceUniqueID but neither is accepted by the TomTom "Register My Product" Page.

But then, just found this in "Find Your Answer"

Question
Where can I find my product code?
Answer
Most TomTom products do not need a product code. Maps with version 7 or higher are activated automatically.
Only NAVIGATOR 7 maps and maps prior to version 7.xxx come with a product code.

So it would seem no longer possible to use the "Register My Product" facility. Perhaps TomTom ought to change the page accordingly?

Normally, just connect your unit to Home. It'll recognize you don't have an email address (account associated with it, if new). It then offers a screen where you enter an email address and password and that's it! Your account is set up with that unit. Doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper format: (e-mail address removed).

Yes, luckily I had already read the advice on here not to use an existing account for another TomTom device. So that probably saved a lot of hassle.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

We are off to the USA in the not too distant where TT will come into its own. So I guess I'll keep the N. America map on the device and move Europe to the card. We won't be going far in Spain before that trip.
I think it makes no difference what you keep where but I put my W&CE map on the SDHC card for the trip to the UK two years ago.

If you haven't done it already I suggest you make a Custom POI category for your trip and enter all known possible locations as individual POIs rather than make itineraries for your trip.
This give you the flexibility to change anything anytime.

Because TYRE seems to keep the coordinates and address in separate registers I use it to Rename the address by prefacing it with something meaningful like Sea World, Aunt Martha, etc. and leave about 5 spaces before the street address. If you have 30 - 40 POIs, sorted by distance from whatever current location, starting like 56933 5th Ave. doesn't help much if the town has trailed off behind the right margin.

I think it makes no difference what you keep where but I put my W&CE map on the SDHC card for the trip to the UK two years ago.

If you haven't done it already I suggest you make a Custom POI category for your trip and enter all known possible locations as individual POIs rather than make itineraries for your trip.
This give you the flexibility to change anything anytime.

Because TYRE seems to keep the coordinates and address in separate registers I use it to Rename the address by prefacing it with something meaningful like Sea World, Aunt Martha, etc. and leave about 5 spaces before the street address. If you have 30 - 40 POIs, sorted by distance from whatever current location, starting like 56933 5th Ave. doesn't help much if the town has trailed off behind the right margin.

Great ideas, thanks. What are the advantages of POIs over Favourites?

My learning curve is easing off a little. I tuned my car radio and TomTom together. But now it tells me I have to be playing music to get voice guidance over the radio, which is a bit of a pain. (My old Kangoo is a bit noisy and, on Spanish roads and tracks I have a job hearing the internal speaker even at 100%).

I assume there are technical reasons for this?

Favourites tend to get wiped out with map updates and you can't have phone numbers stored against each location, custom POI files can be moved between devices and survive updates as well allowing phone numbers as well as not being limitted to 24 or 48 entries in a single file.

As for the FM Tx it's down to a stupid EU law that makes it illegal to transmit without audio such as the gaps between nav instructions, playing music is continuous so they locked the FM Tx to only work when music is playing, load a silent mp3 track and set that playing all the time and all you will hear are the instructions from the nav unit - Mike

Favourites tend to get wiped out with map updates and you can't have phone numbers stored against each location, custom POI files can be moved between devices and survive updates as well allowing phone numbers as well as not being limitted to 24 or 48 entries in a single file.

Aah! So that's where my favourites went.

As for the FM Tx it's down to a stupid EU law that makes it illegal to transmit without audio such as the gaps between nav instructions, playing music is continuous so they locked the FM Tx to only work when music is playing, load a silent mp3 track and set that playing all the time and all you will hear are the instructions from the nav unit - Mike

Does it apply if you are using N America maps? There used to be a thing (TT Navigator 6) that, if you loaded NAM maps, you got the drivng safely warning screen. For EUR maps you did not.

So clever, the silent MP3 track idea! Now there's lateral thinking. Who's the track by? (Only kidding). Can't think of a witty answer off hand. I suppose "Silent Night" would be an option?

Does it apply if you are using N America maps? There used to be a thing (TT Navigator 6) that, if you loaded NAM maps, you got the drivng safely warning screen. For EUR maps you did not.
TomTom does not make a different OS for Europe and the NA market so your FM action is the same.

I am surprised that you say the driving safely warning screen does not show on European maps, unless you bought your device in Spain, not the UK.
Anytime I switch to the UK map I get that warning.

On second thought, as I am typing, you have to check the radio button to warn you when switching maps.

TomTom does not make a different OS for Europe and the NA market so your FM action is the same.

I am surprised that you say the driving safely warning screen does not show on European maps, unless you bought your device in Spain, not the UK.
Anytime I switch to the UK map I get that warning.

On second thought, as I am typing, you have to check the radio button to warn you when switching maps.

Yes. Pretty certain I got the warning screen when using a NAM map and not when using Europe (Navigator 6 on IPAQ).

It was discussed here

Thanks for the link to the silent track. Wish they'd play that in our local supermarket!

This thread has now gone completely off the original topic. My fault.

I've done some searching on this and it seems I may be missing some Speech Recognition files?....

I am using on my wonderful new 930T the Spoken Address (dialogue) for my map of Spain and it brings up my road first time. I'm impressed!

But when I go and try it on my North American maps, the Spoken address options are greyed out. Is this to save space and are the files still available for download, please?

Should I start a new thread next time?

Often what happens with units with multiple maps (like the 920 and 930), only speech files for the location you live (Europe or NA) are available for the respective map. See if you have Cspeech files in your NA map, there should be about 53 of them.

Often what happens with units with multiple maps (like the 920 and 930), only speech files for the location you live (Europe or NA) are available for the respective map. See if you have Cspeech files in your NA map, there should be about 53 of them.

Yes they are there. Once I get my SDHC card I'll copy one set of maps to that and then there will be room for the Cspeech files. That's why they have not been installed I guess. No room for them. There really should be more internal memory on these.

Incidentally, I also went to check what was in the Western_and_Central_Europe.zip and there was an error opening the file, rather worryingly. I have a back up copy of what's on the device. Am I covered or can I download it again (it was a free update map).

Thanks for all the help. This forum is just magic.

I have now copied the North America maps to an SD card, and added to that directory the Cspeech files I found in the North_America.zip file from the downloaded maps within the TomTom Go Download directory.

I then deleted the North_America directory from the internal memory on my 930T (having backed it up onto my PC, again!).

The Spoken address options now work. Thanks for the advice. As mentioned above, as there is insufficient memory to load the lot, on a unit sold in Europe, they omit installing these Cspeech files for the North America maps. A bit of a TomTom botch really.

Yes. Pretty certain I got the warning screen when using a NAM map and not when using Europe (Navigator 6 on IPAQ).

It was discussed here
I am not talking about the acceptance of an agreement.

I am talking about the warning for a non-UK device to Drive on the left side of the Road when opening the UK map.
Inversely, if yours is a UK unit and you open the map of Spain or the US and have set the option, it should warn you to Drive on the right side of the Road.

I am not talking about the acceptance of an agreement.

I am talking about the warning for a non-UK device to Drive on the left side of the Road when opening the UK map.
Inversely, if yours is a UK unit and you open the map of Spain or the US and have set the option, it should warn you to Drive on the right side of the Road.

Not seen that. But then I noticed that "warn me which side of the road to drive" is set to "never" in Safety Preferences.

Going back to this, if I may:-
I have now copied the North America maps to an SD card, and added to that directory the Cspeech files I found in the North_America.zip file from the downloaded maps within the TomTom Go Download directory.

I then deleted the North_America directory from the internal memory on my 930T (having backed it up onto my PC, again!).

The Spoken address options now work. Thanks for the advice. As mentioned above, as there is insufficient memory to load the lot, on a unit sold in Europe, they omit installing these Cspeech files for the North America maps. A bit of a TomTom botch really.

On further investigation (ie messing around) I found that speech recognition was not working on UK maps. Checking the W Europe map directory on the device I found that only a few of the Cspeech files had been installed. I went back to the Home-downloaded map files (downloaded as part of Latest Map Guarantee update) and I find the zip file is damaged. I tried to repair it but cannot extract any files from the "repaired" file. This is a bit upsetting as I have been diligent in backing everything up on my TomTom as I've gone along, but never thought to back up the map files from TomTom Home.

If I restore the original W Europe maps to the device, move the LMG-downloaded files and then run LMG again, will it let me download again?

Thanks,

If you rename the download folder to downloadold, you should get (again) the map being made available.

Just download the set of files by clicking Here then use WinRar to extract the files from the download straight to your Wetsren_Europe map folder, much more reliable than using Home - Mike

Thanks guys. Mike, the map folder on the device or Home. How does the whole system know to allow me to use these maps?

Mike means to extract the files to the Western_Europe map folder on the device.

The application software knows how to deal with the files once they are there.

Ask a Question