TT 720 - Device Timeout

Hi,
I'm having some real issues trying to get my 720 connected to the PC.

Every time I connect it to the docking station and try to interact or upload/download I keep getting a Windows message -

Windows Device Timeout - The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk2\DR11 was not completed before the timeout period expired.

I've deleted/reloaded the Home software several times (original version, Version 2.0 and Version 2.1), cleaned the PC of all the TomTom files I could find, and am at a loss as to what it could be.

As a reference I have plugged the device into another PC and uploaded the updates from that machine but unfortunately it is on dialup, not broadband, and is not convenient. I'm running XP, have 512Mb of RAM, and 1.3Gb processor so don't think the system is struggling.

Please, please any help would be great.

Thanks Colin.:)

A shot in the dark....

You say ou have XP but do you have Service Pack 2 installed? The reasn I ask that is USB 2.0 is not recognized by Windows without it. If indeed it is installed, are you sure all USB ports -- especially the one you've connected the dock to -- are 2.0? If no, that may be the problem........data is simply not getting transferred fast enough (and the operation is timing out as a result).

If you are on a USB 2.0 port, then I'm not sure what else to suggest (other than contacting TomTom support)

Hi dhn,
thanks for the reply. I've just had a look at the system set up on my PC but cannot find any info. as to weither it is USB 1 or 2. I believe I do have service pack 2.

One thing I have just tried though is connecting to my wifes newer laptop and it connects, reads, backs up and downloads no problem so I guess she has USB 2 and I don't.

I tried to compare the driver details of both PC's on the Device Manger window and they seem both identical to look at i.e. Driver version, Driver Date but I don't know if this is relevant to identifying USB 1 or 2?

It seems strange that it worked first few days I connected to the PC, then I started to have some glitches, now it locks up when trying to connect - all on the internal memory. But it seems to be able to read the plug in SD card connected in the TomTom. Would you think that points to a USB speed problem i.e. it can read SD card O.K. but cannot take the streaming info. of the internal memory?

Thanks again,

Colin.

Ask a Question