Go 720 "usb device not recognized"

Hello,
When I try to connect my Go 720 to my computer (any computer) it says unknown device "usb device not recognized"

it always worked before. Other wise the navigation device works fine. I just can not connect it to my machine to update it any more.

I am using XP pro

Ok, i will do that.

I also went to device manager/universal serial bus controllers/unknown device/properties
and it says "no drivers are installed for this device"

Are there drivers I would need?

Thank You for your replies

Had the same thing happen last night on my 740. Tried twice and got the same error as you. I was getting ready to try a pin reset but decided to unplug the usb cord, reconnect and try again. There was some delay, then it connected as it should. Have no idea what the problem was.

Had the same thing happen last night on my 740...........I was getting ready to try a pin reset
That would have been interesting, where does the pin go on a 740? - reset needs the power button holding down until the device re-boots, not all TomTom units have a reset hole these days - Mike

Shouldn't be necessary. Try the reset first.

Sorry I didnt get back sooner, had to get to work. Just finished a 13 hr shift

Dumb question, when I do the reset thing everything will be lost and wiped clean correct? (favorites and whatnot)

Nope. A pin reset may cause you to reset your time. No other settings will be lost.

Ok, Thats good. 1 last question and I'll leave ya alone LOL,

I never did this before, does the unit have to be turned on?
how long do I have to keep paper clip in?

I know, probably dumb questions but ide rather ask then screw this up further

Worked like a charm.
After reset it connected to PC and I have already updated and backed it up.

Thank you so much for your help

FYIW, you're not alone - quite. Although I don't get the error message as you do, I find that every time I update something on my 720 now via Home, I have to use a pin reset to get the USB connect to even begin. So rather than a bad USB negotiation, my 720 doesn't even produce anything on the plug that would indicate a need for it to Windows. I plug the 720 into the USB cable, turn it on, and am not even asked if I am interested in connecting to the computer. This was true under both 8.302 and now 8.350.

In all cases, a pin reset has resolved this connection issue immediately, so now I just do the reset before I even connect the cable unless I'm just going to be charging it.

connecting to the computer

After downloading an update to my GO 720 at the end of April (unusual update because it said it would restart the GPS after downloading, never done that before) the unit has not been able to connect to the computer. It will work after a reset, but not connect to my computer. However I have managed a work around. First, try to log into the computer through the docking unit. When it asks if you want to connect to the computer, say Yes. This is where my GPS dies. I then use the reset button (hold down for at least 25 seconds. TomTom service advice) then replace it on the docking unit. I then restart the unit. It connects to TomTom Home straight away and I can check for updates. Heck of a workaround. I blame it on the software update. But who knows. Hope that helps.

Ask a Question