Tripmaster / Height

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I need help with installing Tripmaster and Height. On the "le Web Bazar" website, it says to rewrite some of the ttn file code so the two are compatible. I can't find the ttn file anywhere after installation, only ttninit folder, with appears to be very complicated to play around with. Any help is appreciated, I used to have it working fine but something in getting a map upgrade and switching to Windows 7 has messed things up.

On another note, I am getting a Windows error every time I connect to my computer, suggesting I reformat the TomTom. I close the window and everything works fine. Should I reformat? The idea of reformatting scares me, sounds like causing a problem where everything appears to be working fine now.

Thanks, Andy

Hi Andy. I'll be very happy to help but can't for a day, or even next week (Nov 14th). So keep checking back . . .

I played around with things until I managed to get it to stop working altogether. Luckily, I had backed it up, so things are working again. Look forward to your advise.
Andy

Tripmaster installation Update

I installed the program for plug-in compliance, as per the instructions on Le Web Bazar, which brought Tripmaster and Offroad Navigator back to life, the flashing is now gone. I found (at loast) the ttn file, and made the changes as stated of Le Web Bazar using UltraEdit. Sadly, Height did not come back, and Tripmaster and Navigator started flashing again, so something is going wrong.
One thing I notice is the number of ttn files I have now. There is ttn, ttn.bak, ttn.old, and ttn.old.bak I'm sure I can delete some of these, but not sure which ones to delete.
I had all this working before a map upgrade. I can't remember what I did a few years ago to get it all working properly, but I can't seem to duplicate that now.

. . .On another note, I am getting a Windows error every time I connect to my computer, suggesting I reformat the TomTom. I close the window and everything works fine. Should I reformat? The idea of reformatting scares me, sounds like causing a problem where everything appears to be working fine now.

Thanks, Andy

Andy, I haven't heard of a situation where connecting your TomTom to Win7 results in Windows suggesting you reformat the TomTom! I wouldn't do it!! You might double-check that 'error' which comes up when you connect - does it suggest checking for errors on your TomTom? For now, just disregard it until it can be sorted out.

I installed the program for plug-in compliance, as per the instructions on Le Web Bazar, which brought Tripmaster and Offroad Navigator back to life, the flashing is now gone. I found (at loast) the ttn file, and made the changes as stated of Le Web Bazar using UltraEdit. Sadly, Height did not come back, and Tripmaster and Navigator started flashing again, so something is going wrong.

Before making any more changes to your TomTom, if you have not already done so, I would make a backup. See this link for detailed instructions.

Now to the crux of your problem. Height and Tripmaster and OffRoad can live together on the same Tomtom, although they both use a "ttn" file. You just need to install both plugins and this 'ttn' file and modify the line LD_PRELOAD in the ttn file I'm providing (not Height's ttn) as follows :

LD_PRELOAD=/mnt/sdcard/plugins_hook/plugins_hook.so:/mnt/sdcard/Height/height.so ttn

. . . The above is the correct file data which is the opposite from what is suggested on Le Web Bazaar. Remember this is for the version 9.xx navcore. This is how I have it working with my XL340 with App 9.061. However, my XL One with App 8.010 does not use the plugins. Instead, I have to use a 'mnu' file which is part of the sdkregistry folder newly created so that these additional programs show up in the TomTom menu.

Do you recall whether or not you were using the "mnu" system when you previously had yours working? If so, you shouldn't need the plugins_hook to get it to work.

Let us know if you have any questions.

When I connect the TomTom, message comes up stating "There might be a problem with some files on this device." IT suggests I Scan and Fix. So far I have closed the window, and nothing appears wrong. I am a bit worried about the Scan and Fix option.

Tripmaster and Offroad Navigator are working now, but not Height. I am using Navigator 8.351, Windows 7, NA map 880.381, Tripmaster 3.1, Offroad 3.0. I don't see Height in my menu, so that indeed may be the problem. I use Menubuilder to play with the menus. Maybe I somehow uninstalled height, althou I see it when I use explorer to check the TomTom. I think I needed the hook to get it working before, but it was a few years ago and I really don't remember.

Andy

Andy, I have had the same "Scan & Fix" message come up when connecting my TomTom. I have chosen to say OK and let it do the scan; at the conclusion of the scan and fix, there has always been a statement saying that it didn't find any errors and so it didn't fix anything (that I know of). Go figure!

It sounds like your only problem right now is getting a correct installation of the Height program. The author of that program has changed his webpage in the last year or so; previously I could download the version of Height I needed and do the manual install. Now, the script is written such that it will only install from his homepage if you connect and let it do the install. I would recomment you go ahead and try that procedure. See author Joghurt's webpage. Click on Help/Installation then click on "check this" and read through some helpful information on how to do the necessary changes to the height.cfg file using WordPad or similar (so that height will appear correctly on the TomTom screen) BEFORE trying the installation. By the way, height should not be part of the menu program; it only appears as a display number.

Hope this helps.

Alfie,
That was helpful, I have Height working exactly the way it should, however
Tripmaster and Offroad are now flashing again :(
Now to try to get everyone working together...

Andy, it is my understanding that you shouldn't need the hook program IF you are using Navcore 8.xxx . . . I don't use hook in my TomTom OneXL, and all three programs work normally. Later on today I'll post which versions of Tripmaster and Offroad I successfully use.

I'm still confident we'll have yours working again . . .
icon6.gif

Andy, my installed and working versions on my TomTom OneXL:
**Offroad ver 2.2
**Tripmaster ver 2.5

In addition, my ttn file for Height is as follows:
#! /bin/shLD_PRELOAD=/mnt/sdcard/Height/height.so ttn

Note that mine operates off the memory card.

Have you by chance downloaded and installed newer versions of both Offroad and Tripmaster?

Alfie,
Yes, I have the latest versions of both, Tripmaster 3.1 and Offroad 3.0. Working with the "hook", but then I can't get Height to work, then when Height gets going Tripmaster and Offroad flashing again. I guess I need to find the right order to install everything.
Andy

Andy, I still believe the answer is to modify your ttn file using UltraEdit or WordPad.
Have you do this? On a previous post I had only included instructions mentioning the LD_PRELOAD line, and perhaps you left out the other two lines . . . which may have mislead you. Sorry!

Your entire ttn file should look like the three lines below. The modifed third (red) line reflects the correct order of the plugins_hook and the height.so.

#! /bin/sh
rm /mnt/sdcard/plugins_hook/*.hook > /dev/null 2>&1
LD_PRELOAD=/mnt/sdcard/plugins_hook/plugins_hook.so:/mnt/sdcard/Height/height.so ttn

My suggestion would be to make a backup of your 'original' ttn file (e.g. ttn_bak), then go ahead and cut/paste all three of the above lines into your new ttn file. Save it like before, into the root of your TomTom.

Leave all your other programs 'as is' for right now.

I hope I have this correct! Let us know how it works.

Afie,
I tried again, and Height showed up, with Tripmaster and Offroad. The problem was Heights numbers were flickering, and showwing the screen ID rather than the altitude. When I went through the steps to adjust the config file, it did nothing. I then tried to tweak a bit, and the 920 would not turn off, and when I reset it would not go anywhere, until I stated it on the charger, and undid everything through explorer.
So now I'm back to square one, but the TomTom is working, Height is visible, and Tripmaster and Offroad are flashing and unusable. ...and so it goes.

Andy

Afie,
I tried again, and Height showed up, with Tripmaster and Offroad. The problem was Heights numbers were flickering, and showwing the screen ID rather than the altitude. When I went through the steps to adjust the config file, it did nothing...
Andy

Andy, these abnormalities would be normal at this stage of modification of height -- it would display the screen id. and there would be some flickering, although it doesn't flicker enough to bother me :)

The next step would have been to replace the below code lines #5 and #6 in the height.cfg file with the id numbers displayed on your TomTom (see my numbers for my device below).

To get both id numbers, change to day - or night - mode (wherever you weren't) and enter those numbers in the below code.

Is that what you did??

x32 # x-position of height-numbers in real pixels, between 0 and about 300-400
y4 # y-position of height-numbers in real pixels, between 0 and about 220-250
h-80.0 # geoidal separation, value will be added to height, meter or feet
mf # mode, "m" for meter, "f" for feet
d19028 # screen identifier for when to display height, day colors
n8500 # screen identifier for when to display height, night colors
s2 # font size, value between "0" (small) and "3" (big).
f0 # font color, "1" = black, "2" = white, "0" = day/night-automatic
al # alignment: "l"eft, "c"enter, "r

I'm excited you were able to get the three programs 'almost' running after the 720 upgrade some years ago. Let us know how you do with the above modification of the height.cfg file changes . . . good luck!

The problem is loading the different shared libaries (files.so) from one single ttn file. Joghurt and Escor (developers of Height and TomPlayer) developed a solution for this using a different method loading shared libaries through ttninit. Roussillat (developer of Tripmaster) doesn't use the ttninit package for now so I think it will never work using the current versions of the 3rd party software. Check out this page: h t t p : / / o p e n t o m . o r g / D a t a B a c k b o n e.

Ask a Question