TomTom XL question

TomTom Model(s)
XL
I've got a TomTom XL that I am thinking of mounting on the handlebars of my ATV. I live in West Texas where there are miles and miles of ranchland, thus no charted roads or trails. I have a small Garmin Vista that I have been using that will chart a track from where I start and at the end of a ride, you just follow the track back that it charted and can find your way back to where you started from.

I haven't figured out how or even if this TomTom has some feature that will do the same thing. The Garmin has a tiny 2 inch screen and I am hoping the TomTom can do this same thing because of the much larger color screen.

Anybody know of a answer for me, how or if this TomTom XL will do that ?

Thanks, Rick

You really need to stick with a Garmin handheld (recommend free maps at gpsfiledepot.com for topo maps). The TomTom and Garmin automotive units really do not approve of being taken far off of known roads. They get a bit lost, and will not produce track files of your trip that you can download or view on the unit.

Your Vista, while a capable performer in its day, has been supplanted by a whole bunch of new models over the years. I still have my old Summit HC, but haven't fired it up in some time since I picked up the Oregon 450, and now they have units with even bigger and easier to read screens that my Oregon.

The viewable area on my older Oregon 450 is 3" diagonally, and the resolution is pretty good. I mount mine to my bike when I'm out riding the trails. See if you can spot one of these at a retail outlet. With newer (though more expensive) units out now, an Oregon 450 can be had for around $215~$230.

The newer Montana series has a 4" diagonal screen, though the best price on one of those is closer to $460.

Ok great advice, I will try and find an Oregon.... Just need something to find my way back from where I started from without spending the night lost somewhere with coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats and feral hogs, all of which will eat you..... LOL

Ask a Question