Tomtom XL map share and updating problem

I'm trying to help a friend who has bought a tomtom XL, which is a few months old. He's trying to download map share update to his tomtom but a message is coming up in Tomtom home saying that his map or device is incompatible. Here are the details of his Tomtom:

App 8.014
32MB RAM (free: 4.7mb)
GPS V1.21
Map United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland v725.1883

Also, when he tries to update his tomtom in tomtom Home, the updates he can get show up, but he can't download them because it says he has no free memory.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest how we can solve these problems.

Hi there...

If he just bought it very recently I would suggest that he trys to get the latest map onto it, he needs to create his own account via TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems and use a valid email address. Once he has done this he needs to download home 2.6 to his pc, back it up and then request the most upto date items. And it should update his map to either version 8.15 or 8.25 however, this should be done within the first 30 days of use but give it a go. As far as I am aware V7.25 is not compatable with Mapshare however, I have never tried it on that version

Good luck

V

Hi there...

If he just bought it very recently I would suggest that he trys to get the latest map onto it, he needs to create his own account via TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems and use a valid email address. Once he has done this he needs to download home 2.6 to his pc, back it up and then request the most upto date items. And it should update his map to either version 8.15 or 8.25 however, this should be done within the first 30 days of use but give it a go. As far as I am aware V7.25 is not compatable with Mapshare however, I have never tried it on that version

Good luck

V

Hey Vorlon,

His satnav is over 30 days and hence he can not get the latest map from Tomtom. In terms of whether v.7.25 is compatible or not, I found this:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

Tomtom say that "to use TomTom Map Share? technology, your TomTom device needs to be running application version 7.xx and map version 675.xxxx or higher."

Considering his application is 8.xx and map version is 7.25, map share should work should it not?

Two thoughts:

First - was the XL bought on ebay or second hand? If the map is pirated, HOME will recognize it and refuse to update it.

If it wasn't pirated, you could try wiping out the application and reinstalling it. This should also fix the free space issue. A couple of considerations before doing this;
- HOME will only give you app 8.010, which isn't compatible with a traffic receiver so don't do this step if he uses traffic.
- These steps are a full wipout of the tomtom, if there's anything on the tomtom (mp3's, voices, etc) this will wiped out as well. Also preferences will be reset.

1) close HOME
2) use windows explorer, set it to view hidden/system files, and copy everything with windows explorer from the tomtom to a folder on your computer. Make 1000% sure the map folder copied correctly
3) format the tomtom drive as fat32
4) copy your map folder from the computer back to your tomtom
5) open HOME, click disconnect, unplug the tomtom, power it off/on, and let it start up until you see the X
6) then plug the tomtom into your computer, say "yes" to connecting to your computer, and update the application with HOME. It will probably take multiple updates
7) download your preferred voice (don't waste space on additional ones), and download quickgpsfix

Two thoughts:

First - was the XL bought on ebay or second hand? If the map is pirated, HOME will recognize it and refuse to update it.

If it wasn't pirated, you could try wiping out the application and reinstalling it. This should also fix the free space issue. A couple of considerations before doing this;
- HOME will only give you app 8.010, which isn't compatible with a traffic receiver so don't do this step if he uses traffic.
- These steps are a full wipout of the tomtom, if there's anything on the tomtom (mp3's, voices, etc) this will wiped out as well. Also preferences will be reset.

1) close HOME
2) use windows explorer, set it to view hidden/system files, and copy everything with windows explorer from the tomtom to a folder on your computer. Make 1000% sure the map folder copied correctly
3) format the tomtom drive as fat32
4) copy your map folder from the computer back to your tomtom
5) open HOME, click disconnect, unplug the tomtom, power it off/on, and let it start up until you see the X
6) then plug the tomtom into your computer, say "yes" to connecting to your computer, and update the application with HOME. It will probably take multiple updates
7) download your preferred voice (don't waste space on additional ones), and download quickgpsfix

Thank you for all the advice!

Firstly, the tomtom was brought off ebay, and due to your very helpful response, I'm beginning to think the map may well be pirated. Until you pointed it out, I didn't even know that maps could be pirated! I don't want to try wiping out the application until I'm 100% sure it isn't pirated so can you please tell me if there is any way of checking.

You best bet is to contact support, however, since it is purchased of Ebay they will not offer you any type of warrenty nor use of the most recent map. Buying TomToms on Ebay is a risky business as you dont know where or who they really come from. If you have had the device a while then there is not much you can do but to buy yourself a new map if the map is a fraud... the quickest and safest way to mail me a screen shot of your sysinfo from the TomTom I can take a quick look and possibley see if you have a cracked map. Send to me via the boards please dont disclose any type of serial number on open boards. The admin know me on these boards and you are safe with me...< hoping for an admin back up here lol >

Have Fun

V

I'm trying to help a friend who has bought a tomtom XL, which is a few months old. He's trying to download map share update to his tomtom but a message is coming up in Tomtom home saying that his map or device is incompatible. Here are the details of his Tomtom:

App 8.014
32MB RAM (free: 4.7mb)
GPS V1.21
Map United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland v725.1883

Also, when he tries to update his tomtom in tomtom Home, the updates he can get show up, but he can't download them because it says he has no free memory.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest how we can solve these problems.

beats myself over the head with a frying pan....OK I have just thought about something.. Can you please check what the memory capacity of the device is??? I totally Missed your quote about memory.. I dont think its to do with dodgy maps! its your memory capacity.. Can you advise what TomTom XL you have please? Do you have a memory card in the device? if so please connet your device to home and it will show you 2 lines with internal memory and external memory..Can you please tell me what the memory capacity is? and whats left?

Have Fun

V

beats myself over the head with a frying pan....OK I have just thought about something.. Can you please check what the memory capacity of the device is??? I totally Missed your quote about memory.. I dont think its to do with dodgy maps! its your memory capacity.. Can you advise what TomTom XL you have please? Do you have a memory card in the device? if so please connet your device to home and it will show you 2 lines with internal memory and external memory..Can you please tell me what the memory capacity is? and whats left?

Have Fun

V

Hey Vorlon,

Thanks for your response.

His tomtom is a XL 30 series with a total capacity of 1GB memory and no possibility for external memory. When I tried adding updates for him, it came up with many updates but upon trying to install them, it said total memory being used was above 900mb and total free space was 0mb. When I tried joining map share, it said your device does not currently support this service. Have I answered your question or would you like more info?

If you want to try my steps in the prior post, it should definitely fix the "no free space" issue. Maybe the space is causing the mapshare bug also.

Once you follow the steps I posted, you'll know if you have pirated maps, because you'll get a "no maps found" error after completing all the steps. If this happens, you could:

1) restore to the prior state by reformatting the tomtom and copying all the files from the windows explorer backup back to the tomtom

or

2) delete the map folder on the tomtom and buy a legitimate map. Tomtom will not let you buy a map that won't fit on the device.

Very True if the TT is saying no memory it wont let you install anything.. YOU MUST back the map up first properly tho, otherwise you may loose it but TBH the map is so far out of date it maybe worth just biting the bullet and buying a newer upto date version however, it may cost more than what you paid for the TomTom..

Good Luck

V

If you want to try my steps in the prior post, it should definitely fix the "no free space" issue. Maybe the space is causing the mapshare bug also.

Once you follow the steps I posted, you'll know if you have pirated maps, because you'll get a "no maps found" error after completing all the steps. If this happens, you could:

1) restore to the prior state by reformatting the tomtom and copying all the files from the windows explorer backup back to the tomtom

or

2) delete the map folder on the tomtom and buy a legitimate map. Tomtom will not let you buy a map that won't fit on the device.

Hey mvl, thanks for your advice, but I do have a problem with actually implementing your prior post. Whilst I can use a computer, I am not an expert so have no idea what you're actually talking about in your previous post! If you could please please simplify it a little so that even a novice could understand I would be most grateful.

Again thanks for all your help.

Because of the risk of messing up your tomtom/computer, I'd recommend asking a friend who's more familiar with Windows computers to do the steps.

Thinks like formatting are common PC repair steps, but can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

You could go to "remove items" in HOME, and remove everything except for your maps and application and your preferred voice. This is easier and less invasive, but may not save you as much space.

Because of the risk of messing up your tomtom/computer, I'd recommend asking a friend who's more familiar with Windows computers to do the steps.

Thinks like formatting are common PC repair steps, but can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

You could go to "remove items" in HOME, and remove everything except for your maps and application and your preferred voice. This is easier and less invasive, but may not save you as much space.

Yes you are definitely right in that I shouldn't attempt this myself and end up causing more damage then to begin with. I have tried the 'remove items' option in home, but the only thing that comes up is:

Applications: 1 size:12mb
Start-up images: 2
Shut-down images 2

This is it, there is nothing about maps, or anything else for that matter.

Home has always been able to see maps on my tomtom. (you're choosing the "items on device" tab, not the "items on computer" tab, right?)

If Home can't see your map, then either the tomtom has corrupt memory, or pirated maps. And you'd have to follow one of the solution steps below.

Home has always been able to see maps on my tomtom. (you're choosing the "items on device" tab, not the "items on computer" tab, right?)

If Home can't see your map, then either the tomtom has corrupt memory, or pirated maps. And you'd have to follow one of the solution steps below.

In fact I think you may be right about the corrupt memory. Today I tried clicking on 'back up and restore' in the home menu and then 'back up my device' and it came up with the following error:

ERROR: DesktopLib/Backup/Scan/Wrapper: Error during scanning for backup/restore items.
@ .\framework\BackupScanThread.cpp(90)
-
DesktopLib/Backup/Scan/PathDoesNotExist: Trying to scan a volume that does not exist F:\.
@ .\framework\BackupScanThread.cpp(148)

in .\framework\BackupScanThread.cpp:90
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:84
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1032
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Does this indicate a corrupt memory? If not, what does it indicate?

"Trying to scan a volume that does not exist F:\"

Is the "F" drive your TomTom or a disk partition on your computer?

"Trying to scan a volume that does not exist F:\"

Is the "F" drive your TomTom or a disk partition on your computer?

I'm sorry but I really do not understand what any of it means! I would have no idea if it's on the tomtom or the computer.

Ask a Question