New TomTom Mapshare Reporter

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
TomToms new Map Share Reporter is an online tool that gives you a fast and simple way to report changes to TomTom maps. This is the successor to the Map Insight service Tele Atlas created a few years ago.

See here:
Map Share Reporter

and the tool here:
Map Share? Reporter

So if I'm reading it right.... Despite the name, errors you report this way DO NOT get ported over to normal MapShare? :(

Correct. Nothing has really changed in the process itself

.But being able to use better tools and cleaner interface to report errors may encourage more users to take the time. Repetitive reports on some of the most glaring errors may get them noticed.

The bigger problem is Tomtom doesn't appear to have a handle on how to process the numerous reports they already were receiving. Having even more reports won't make the process faster IMHO.

FWIW, Tomtom's made substantial improvements to its maps in my area since about map 860.

I consistently saw improvements in map errors through around map 835, then from 840-855 I saw lane guidance improvements but no corrections to road errors. Then from 860 onwards, I saw the fast pace of road corrections again.

I had about 50 known problems in map 835, and the same 50 in map 855. But now with map 875, over 30 of the 50 problems have been fixed.

So they're finally listening to all the mapshare reports again.

Random 2 cents.

Map corrections I've submitted to TeleAtlas/TomTom have yet to be processed.

Map corrections I submitted to Navteq took years to process, not sure if they actually resulted in much action.

Map corrections sent to Google took months to be processed and I was sent a message after they were processed and after the changes took effect including a direct link to the map area that was corrected based on my suggestion.

Here in the NJ/NY area, there are still major highway changes, years old, that are not reflected, and I cannot take a trip without encountering a wrong one way street or a supposed through street that isn't. I doubt I'll continue even trying to report errors.

Frustrating, eh?

Have you used the new tool?

It does seem that for a couple of years, those in charge of implementing mapshare changes at TomTom were not as 'committed to task' as they should have been.

The last year, a new team has been put in charge of that area and have had an awful lot of catching up to do.

Just persevere.......

The map the new tool is using, at least for my area, is at least a couple revisions behind the current TomTom map on my device. There are some road changes (mostly highway) that are present on my device map but not on the online one. Makes it hard to report changes when you don't know if they are actually already made or not.

I submitted my backlog of issues today. It was very easy, much easier than using a Tomtom device.

I'll post back if any of them change status from "pending'.

If anyone finds a status change, could you post it as well? And also whether the actual map was fixed? It would be nice to get a sense of how quickly Tomtom is using this new tool to fix maps.

Ask a Question