Tomtom XL Live (UK Model) Reset Issue

TomTom Model(s)
XL Live
Hi everybody

Has anybody bought an XL Live within the past month or so & have it reset during use for no reason? I have.

Just a short story just incase somebody else has had the same problem.

The unit was only 2 weeks old before this issue began. I would set up a route and before it even told me where to go it resets itself.

After 4 days of this I contacted TT support who when through the default script. Do a 'hard reset', make sure the unit is updated, do a complete reformat.

In the end I had them send me an RMA. Sent the unit back on a monday and had it back the following thursday with a note saying there was no fault found.

Lucky me....

Although I did make sure to note down a few details from the unit prior to return.

Comparing the details as shown in the 'Version Information' I found out not only had they downgraded the software on the unit but they installed the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map when I only had the United_kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland map.

So after doing another software upgrade I have found that there was another update to the unit which so far has not made the unit reset. This is the first day i've been able to check the units operation.

Unfortunately I am unable to reload the Western map as my unit does not have enough space to store it on, although HOME does say that it will shrink it and allow me to select certain sections of the map for me to use, but it did not work.

I will update this post if after a week the unit is faultless or if I have to return it again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre return info

App 9.054.531676.2, OS 515773
(1024, 26/5/2010)
64 MB RAM (free: 26.4 MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map: 'United_kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland' v855.2884
Language: English UK

Post return info

App 8.420 (1258/091116) OS:344822
64 MB RAM (free:17.2 MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map: 'Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB' v845.2645

Post return Update info

App 9.058.568435.2, OS 541764
(1030, 25/8/2010)
64 MB RAM (free: 27.0 MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map: 'United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland' v855.2884

If you made a copy of the Western_Europe map to your computer before you did any updates then it will be possible to put that map back on the unit. You say that it won't fit, well there are plently of voice files in the "voices" folder that can be removed to free up space.

That said you now have a European spec device rather than a regional one that you originally purchased, the European spec device had more memory built in. TomTom will have added the device to your account so once connected via Home it knows what map you are entitled to hence the UK&ROI v855 download - Mike

You say that it won't fit, well there are plently of voice files in the "voices" folder that can be removed to free up space.

After looking at what my unit currently holds there is nothing I can remove to create more space.

Here is whats on my unit

Application (1) 13.1Mb
Maps (1) 214.3Mb
Voices (1) 0.7Mb
Point Of Intrest (7) 0.6Mb
Car Symbols (14) 0.4Mb
Start-up Images (1) 0.4Mb
Shut-down Images (1) 0.3Mb
QuickGPSfix Data (1) 0.2Mb

Installed Items = 255.6Mb
Device Memory = 1958.5Mb
Free Space = 1702.9Mb

If you copy the UK&ROI map to the computer then delete it from the device you should have enough room for the European map which includes the UK&ROI within the data - Mike

I have tryed that but the map folder is 2.07Gb in size

MapFolder.jpg

As you can see there is alot of info here that wont fit.

Are there files that I can remove to fit the entire map onto my device or is there another way?

If your model does not have Voice Recognition (I'm NOT talking about text to speech), then you can dump the cspeech.dat file.

cspeech_GBR.dat can be removed as thats for voice recognition which needs a microphone, your hardware doesn't have a microphone so doesn't support ASR (Advanced Speech Recognition) so thats 21MB saved.

What is confusing though is your first post states the unit was supplied with the European map installed so it must have fit. Or are you trying to install a newer European map as the latest maps are much bigger and need to be downloaded in one of four zones in order to fit the limitted memory - Mike

Sorry I forgot to say that the weston map supplied with my device was an out of date map. So using the Latest Map Guarantee I have been able to get the latest map.

Home should be offering you the zoned maps, see if there is anything of help on This Page, if not TT CS phone number from the UK is 0845 161 0009 - Mike

Well it's just been over a week and already the unit has restarted 3 times. I've managed to get a quick video of the unit rebooting and have sent another question to Tomtom with it attached.

YouTube - XL Live Reboot

Ditto: similar problem

I've had a very similar problem
My TomTom Live XT (Europe maps) behaves in a similar manner - repeatedly
When I switch it on, It fails to quickly find a valid GPS signal, then after a short period it will spontaneously restart itself.
The restart will happen whatever you are doing at the time such as attempting to set a destination or going through any menus.
It also appears that during the same period it is unable to contact the TomTom servers using the Live services.

In the worst case my device repeated this restart process for over an hour. - during which it had a clear view of the sky and QuickGPS data that was less than 48 hours old. plus the car was no more than 500m away from the last location at which it had been switched off.

I've had the device for just over a week now and this spontaneous resetting behaviour has occured at least 4 times. However the first occasion was the worst - normally it settles down after 1 - 3 restarts.

Had a reply from Tomtom 4 days later only to be told to do the same thing I did to my unit the 1st time it went wrong:mad:. I had told them to check my history regarding the issue but they just ignored me:confused:.

I'm hoping that the next email I recieve from them will be my RMA that I asked for.

Well it's been over a month and so far I've had a replacment unit, had to wait about 2 weeks to get my live services back up and running. And now the replacement unit is rebooting itself.

Is this model of TomTom like Vista?

Can you check something for me, please? Do you have mapshares enabled? If so, switch so that all mapshares are removed and see if rebooting continues.

Hi dhn

I did a reset factory settings and disabled map share today and a few hour later it restarted again.

Tomtom are looking into this issue again. Hopefully

I am having the same exact problem with my XL 340 M here in the US. I am planning on calling Tomtom on Tuesday to see what can be done about it.

Well after a lot of back and forth with tech support they finally have sent another unit. Not an xl live but a go 750 LIVE. Lets hope that this unit is better than the one i curently have. It better be as is more expensive than my current one.

Well after a lot of back and forth with tech support they finally have sent another unit. Not an xl live but a go 750 LIVE. Lets hope that this unit is better than the one i curently have. It better be as is more expensive than my current one.

I also have the same problem with XL LIVE. I tried to downgrade the software to a lower version V8.5, then it is not resetting. But instead it pops up the "welcome to XL 340" demo animation every 3 mins, even when I am driving. I had to upgrade it back to V9.0, and it resets itself again. Does anyone have any solution for that? It already drive me crazy. I am about to throw it in the garbage and buy another one.:mad:

Welcome to TTF.

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. Go to the scripts folder and delete any files you see in there.

That should end the demo from appearing.

Ask a Question