TomTom XL 4ET03 shutdowns abruptly once power button is released

Hi guys,

My TomTom XL model 4ET03 has a weird issue. I have tried a lot of things to fix this issue but no luck.

When I try to turn on the device, it shuts off/powers out as soon as I release the power button. When this happens, I hear a click sound from it's speakers.
If I keep the power button pressed, I get to the diagnostic screen:
YqVYdMW.jpg

I am not sure why Sector protection says No and is highlighted with a red box around it.

TomTom boots into the storage mode when its connected to PC. It's just when it tries to boot normally, it shuts down abruptly with a click sound from speakers.

Things I had tried:

Resetting TomTom using the reset button, it didn't fix the issue.

Updating TomTom using TomTom Home app, no luck.

Backing up all files on to PC and deleting all files from TomTom and then tried to start. It just shows the red cross screen.

Tried different NavCores but no luck.

Tried running clear_flash.exe, still the same issue.

Once I was giving up on the software front, I disassembled it to check the battery, The battery was fully charged as it showed 4V on multi-meter.

I checked the power button for any signs of damage etc.. I didn't find any issue.

I would appreciate any help and advice as I am out of ideas. I am not sure if it's a software or hardware fault.
If there is a faulty component on the motherboard, I could replace or re-solder.

Thanks

I'm betting it still is a battery problem.

However, I think your model is considered End of Life by Tomtom, meaning no more map or other updates.

I had already tried a different battery. The original battery was good too, it was at 3.8V on multi-meter but I tried the replacement battery for peace of mind and had exact same result.

Did the battery hold at ~3.7V or more during actual use when unconnected to an external power source? It's possible to see a good charge voltage drop to poor levels once loaded properly by the device.

"Tried different NavCores but no luck." That can now be a secondary issue. Your current bootloader 5.5282 can't be rolled back, and won't work with anything but the very last release of firmware for your device.

Did the battery hold at ~3.7V or more during actual use when unconnected to an external power source? It's possible to see a good charge voltage drop to poor levels once loaded properly by the device.

Yes the battery did hold to its stated voltage. But I had changed the battery with the replacement to have the exact same issue.

"Tried different NavCores but no luck." That can now be a secondary issue. Your current bootloader 5.5282 can't be rolled back, and won't work with anything but the very last release of firmware for your device.

I'll update it with the latest navcore and see if it changes anything.

I had updated to latest NavCore and it made no difference.

dOViMa6.png

YNoGUGW.png

Here is a short clip I took to show the problem. I didn't use the power button, I pressed the eject button on TomTom Home app so it can boot normally. As you can see, as soon it tried to boot normally, it powers out.

Video: https://sendvid.com/a39ptk7b

Even though it may not affect your power on problem, I see that you do not have a map installed on your device.
If you click "Install items from computer" is there a map that can be installed.
If not, close down HOME, connect to PC as an external drive and drag the map over from your PC backup.

Even though it may not affect your power on problem, I see that you do not have a map installed on your device.
If you click "Install items from computer" is there a map that can be installed.
If not, close down HOME, connect to PC as an external drive and drag the map over from your PC backup.

I am not sure why you say that because in the screenshot, you can see there is 1 map installed taking up about 200 MB on the internal memory.

I said that because of the screen shot. I presume that even the UK&ROI map would be larger than that.
When you check your device as an external drive, which map does it show as installed?

4PfBYbu.png

Any idea about the power issue?

I am starting to think it might be failed component on it's motherboard.

Sorry, none of us surpasses canderson in that department.
Do yourself a favour, shutting me up in the process, right click on the UK&ROI folder, then properties at the bottom and see what size is displayed. If that matches what HOME says I've been barking up the wrong tree.

Wow, I didn't realise that the K&ROI map was that small.
Now, it's up to canderson if he can get get you out o that hole.

Guys I have a little update.

I took out my power bank that outputs 2.1A, plugged it in. Pressed the power button and released it. Something was different, it didn't power out. I waited a few seconds and it booted up as if nothing ever happened.

LFp0PSW.jpg

I let it sit there for a bit but then it powered out :/

I tried turning it back on while it was plugged in and I heard a very high frequency noise, it wasn't loud or anything, I am not sure if it was from the speaker or the motherboard getting fried. And it felt kinda warm from the back of TomTom. It didn't turn on. I unplugged it from the power bank.

I am pretty sure the problem isn't with the battery. It can't be that both batteries are dud. I am going to ask one of my mates for his TomTom, he's got same model. I'll test all the batteries on his TomTom just so the problem is isolated and it isn't just the battery.

Last edited:
Another update, I got hold of my mate's TomTom. All three batteries have the same effect on my TomTom. So the problem is with my TomTom and not the batteries. All of them work fine on my mate's TomTom.

I tried looking for a faulty IC component but I don't see any burnt marks or smell.

I have took a picture of the board from the both sides:

x6ETPQj.jpg

wP5ts78.jpg

@canderson Would you have any idea what could be the issue? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

Ask a Question