TomTom Traffic Subscription now $59.99 !!!

TMC or PHONE

Does this link work on the TMC or the Phone connection.
It is time for me to renew and I have the TMC receiver.
I hate the thought of having to pay $59.95 for the service.

Thanks
hollisav

Does anyone have the cellphone data-based traffic subscription? Is it still working.

I have a GO 630. I currently have the RDS-TMC receiver with the free 1-year subscription (thru July 2010). It works pretty well, but I really don't like the antenna wire. I just got a smartphone with a data plan, so I was thinking about using the Internet-based traffic that used to be available through a cell phone.

I have not been able to get a straight answer about the cell-phone method from Customer Sales, the web site, or TomTom Home. Maybe it's dead?

The web site has "TomTom Services --> Lifetime Traffic Updates". This is the RDS-TMC receiver-based traffic. If you go to the "coverage" tab, it will send you to "totaltraffic.com", which is the Clear Channel "Total Traffic Network". The description is under Total Traffic Network | Faq Answers . HOME allows me to buy "TomTom Traffic" with a one-year subscription for $59.99. The description is very vague, and it does not mention the RDS-TMC receiver. I would guess that this is the RDS-TMC subscription, since I used HOME to register it the first time, and I would expect that HOME would "remember" it. But I can't find a way to get to any "lifetime traffic".

3) Customer Service knows absolutely nothing. They just tell me to use HOME with my GO630 attached.

Sigh. I'll keep trying

The high prices on traffic services TomTom charges will drive me to another manufacturer when my included traffic subscription is up. I might consider purchasing a lifetime maps/traffic subscription for my existing 730. If TomTom doesn't change their current model in the next few months though I'll just find another solution that is priced more reasonably.

Lifetime traffic is done via a traffic antenna, and so far is only available with the purchase of a "lifetime traffic edition" new Tomtom. The lifetime antenna is new and is combined with the power cord, so it's less wiring clutter. No news on whether/when Tomtom will sell the antenna standalone.

PLUS traffic is the bluetooth traffic, and is being phased out by Tomtom. There is no mention of it any longer on the Tomtom website. You can purchase it directly within Tomtom HOME by going to add traffic/Tomtom traffic.

But beware that Tomtom is very finnicky with pairing to phones. Make sure you can get your free bluetooth weather service working first, before attempting to buy bluetooth traffic.

Ask a Question