TomTom Traffic Subscription now $59.99 !!!

TomTom Model(s)
Go 930
Hi all,

I just bought my 930 a month ago and was starting to get the hang of the traffic feature (when to listen to it, when not to) and my trial ran out... I too had seen it in Home just a few days ago for $25 or $30 as a previous thread here mentioned... but now, it's not in Home at all as a buyable service, and even going to their website does not let it appear when I click on "Buy traffic" it takes me to a "Download Home" link...

Anyhow, I called customer service and they could not get to buy traffic either... they said this is probably due to the price change.

"What price change?", I asked... "it's $59.99 now", was his response!!! Since end of July.

This is just outrageous really... you've got Navigons giving the stuff away for free for life, others giving a year... and TomTom is only giving me a free month, and expecting 60 bucks thereafter on a $450 dollar device! To make matters worse, I use my cellphone to connect to traffic (I had the data plan anyway) so they can't even say this money goes to broadcast the info through the FM towers or anything, I'm accessing this through the net... every online traffic site I've seen charges at most 30 bucks a year, without mentioning all the free ones.

This is really discouraging... I had a cheapie Mio and just took a peek at GoogleMaps on my Palm 700p and for the most part got very similar results wrt traffic. I really really like the 930 but man, a 140% price increase sure is hard to swallow...

It's " still " usd 29.95;)

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/traffic.php?&Lid=4&selector=true

TomTom Traffic - 1 year subscription Beat the traffic!

The TomTom Traffic service provides you with updated traffic information anywhere you need it, in your home country and also when travelling abroad.

The TomTom Traffic service is currently available for Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States and the United Kingdom.

You only need one subscription to receive the most up-to-date traffic information in each of these countries, provided that you have a TomTom Map of the country. This service is not available for Canada. price: USD 29.95

Sweeet!!!

Thank you!

Now, a question... I got cust serv to extend my trial just now after calling again to confirm that it was $60 supposedly (they still said it is)... so they gave me a three month extension... if I buy this now will it do away my trial months or will it go on top of it?? It would still be worth losing the 3 trial months rather than risk the $30 link being deactivated I guess... might as well try and post back my results...

Ok, not sweet...

When I clicked on the link it did show as $29.95, but when I clicked on "Buy" at that link, it took me to a "Cart" page which listed the service as $59.95 as the cust srvc rep had said... :mad:

Ugghghgh.

I checked the buy link before I posted and it showed my cart as 29.95.

I just now went back and followed the link and again my cart showed 29.95 at checkout.

Make sure you have " logged in " to the tomtom website....also make sure you have checked your location ( at top of webpage ) as United States.

PSJ aka Marc

I had the same problem as Jester747 finding a way to signup for traffic today. Thanks for the link PSJ. I am good for a year now :)

I just went and tried it and if I select any country of use except Austria the price is $59.99. If I leave Austria selected the price is $29.95. Odd huh??

I just went and tried it and if I select any country of use except Austria the price is $59.99. If I leave Austria selected the price is $29.95. Odd huh??

Strange:confused: same here....but seeing how traffic works in "all" the countries listed better jump on that cheap price " Austria " price:D

PSJ aka Marc

Ok, sweeet again! It does work! I guess I was trying to be smart and selected "Great Britain" since they speak English and that triggered the 59.95... I then selected some other country, other than Austria and got the same result. So yeah folks, stick with Austria.

Oh, also, I went to check "My Services" now and it says I have traffic until 07-11-09 , which I'm guessing is November, which would be my year plus the three months they gave me free.

Hopefully by the time I have to renew TomTom will come back to their senses and charge something more reasonable...

Thanks for the help!!! :D

The only time I ever looked at the pricing for traffic, it was listed as $54.95 for the United States. This is a good find though.

BTW, I got a free one year traffic trial when I called and told them that my traffic antenna wasn't doing me any good due to no coverage in my area. (at the time I had a 920T) Right now I'm good until May 17, 2009 and haven't paid a dime for it.

This is just outrageous really... you've got Navigons giving the stuff away for free for life, others giving a year... and TomTom is only giving me a free month, and expecting 60 bucks thereafter on a $450 dollar device! To make matters worse, I use my cellphone to connect to traffic (I had the data plan anyway) so they can't even say this money goes to broadcast the info through the FM towers or anything, I'm accessing this through the net... every online traffic site I've seen charges at most 30 bucks a year, without mentioning all the free ones.

From what I understand, the traffic service included free with Navigon units is just incident data - no delay or flow information is provided - making the service useless if you want the GPS to adjust your route to avoid delays and reduce your travel time.

Garmin charges $60 for their TMC service. Their cost doesn't factor into what it's worth to me. What makes it valuable is the accuracy and comprehensiveness of the information, and the ability for the GPS to utilize the data to adjust my route - the latter of which you can't get from some other web-based service.

If I go to and from the same place daily (I don't, but many people do), I might be satisfied with a non-integrated traffic report, as I could re-plan the route myself. But when I'm going to an unfamiliar area (which I often do), I don't have that option, since the incidents I hear about on the radio (or via some other source) don't register as being on or near my route when I'm not familiar with the area.

Is it worth it?

I have a TomTom XL 330 and live in Western Canada.
I am wondering if purchasing the Traffic Receiver is worth the purchase along with the Traffice subscription?

I don't see a lot of traffic detail expect for the larger cities in North America

Not good in Western Canada

Nothing in the west. Used to work in Toronto and it was supposed to work in Montreal, but I see on the page where you buy the subscription they say it won't work in Canada at all.

I have a TomTom XL 330 and live in Western Canada.
I am wondering if purchasing the Traffic Receiver is worth the purchase along with the Traffice subscription?

I don't see a lot of traffic detail expect for the larger cities in North America

As far as Toronto traffic is concerned, I wonder if we're getting confused here. As far as I know, the datalink TomTom Traffic service does not cover Toronto, but the TMC FM channel does. Can anyone confirm this?

I checked the buy link before I posted and it showed my cart as 29.95.

I just now went back and followed the link and again my cart showed 29.95 at checkout.

Make sure you have " logged in " to the tomtom website....also make sure you have checked your location ( at top of webpage ) as United States.

PSJ aka Marc

Their web site needs some work. I'm logged on. The country is selected. I click the "Buy" link under traffic and it brings me to the traffic information screen. No changes to the cart. No option to buy.

Link Still Works

FYI the link above still works. I clicked on it left it selected for Austria, but it in my shopping cart and when I went to check out I put in all my information and then pressed check out. I gave me an error message saying that it didn't work try again so I figured the link didn't work anymore. I got out run a few errands and lo and behold I come back and I get receipt via e-mail that for my purchase of TomTom traffic for $29.99.The server was down for a bit but after I activated it I checked TomTom Plus services on my TT720 and the gave me 1 month free on top of the 1 year subscription.

I had a Navigon 7100 for a couple of months last year before I replaced it with the 720

The "lifetime" TMC worked very well in my opinion and it did in fact show traffic delays (expected delay times) for most reports.

The GPS had too many other issues though for me to be able to hang onto it - really questionable routing and a nearly useless POI db.

The 2 main reasons I went with the 720 where the Plus service and the Mapshare - The Plus service turned out to be a bust for me as it was very flakey at best when using my blackberry and verizon service and unable to work at all with my current treo and sprint service

mapshare - i have yet to see it serve and real use.

I think I am probably done with TT when it comes time to replace. Will go back and look at Mio again (had one of those until the wife took it and I loved it) and will look at Garmin again.

Plus Service

Odd, PLUS service is rock solid with my BB Curve + Sprint.

I had a Navigon 7100 for a couple of months last year before I replaced it with the 720

The "lifetime" TMC worked very well in my opinion and it did in fact show traffic delays (expected delay times) for most reports.

The GPS had too many other issues though for me to be able to hang onto it - really questionable routing and a nearly useless POI db.

The 2 main reasons I went with the 720 where the Plus service and the Mapshare - The Plus service turned out to be a bust for me as it was very flakey at best when using my blackberry and verizon service and unable to work at all with my current treo and sprint service

mapshare - i have yet to see it serve and real use.

I think I am probably done with TT when it comes time to replace. Will go back and look at Mio again (had one of those until the wife took it and I loved it) and will look at Garmin again.

Odd, PLUS service is rock solid with my BB Curve + Sprint.

I had intermittent problems using TomTom Services with my Verizon 8330 and TomTom Go 920. Sometimes it would work seamlessly, other times I would have to restart one or both devices to get it to work. Sometimes the Blackberry would restart on its own while the TomTom was trying to connect to it.

On the other hand, I've had little or no problems with my Nextel i580 (now using a Boost Mobile SIM). A much cheaper alternative to tethering on Verizon, and a lot less headaches too!

It's " still " usd 29.95;)

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/traffic.php?&Lid=4&selector=true

TomTom Traffic - 1 year subscription Beat the traffic!

You only need one subscription to receive the most up-to-date traffic information in each of these countries, provided that you have a TomTom Map of the country. This service is not available for Canada. price: USD 29.95

Thanks for Link. From TT Home they want $59.95 but at the link above it can be had for half price. Too Cool!

Edit: Reading above, you must Select Austria as your country. As that is the Default choice and the US isn't listed, I left it that way and got the $29.95. It covers access worldwide so the country selected does not make a difference

Last edited:

Ask a Question