TomTom U.S. Traffic Subscription now $24.95?

TomTom Model(s)
Navigator 6 (PocketPC)
According to TomTom's Aug 30th 2007 News Release, a subscription to TomTom Traffic is now $24.95/year. However when I go to TomTom's site and look to subscribe to Traffic, it's at $54.95/year. :confused:

Has TomTom not updated their online ordering, or is the news release a typo? :(

what I don't get is why RDS has a subscription cost. I thought it's free via the radio hence the elevated price tag over TT's traffic subscription.

what I don't get is why RDS has a subscription cost. I thought it's free via the radio hence the elevated price tag over TT's traffic subscription.
I don't understand it either, but here in the States and Canada - it costs, while in Europe it's free. Maybe has something to do with government regulations (ie. $$$). :rolleyes:

Oh, and I confirmed with TomTom that the $24.95/year is the actual cost for TomTom PLUS Traffic and it's in effect now.

I don't understand it either, but here in the States and Canada - it costs, while in Europe it's free. Maybe has something to do with government regulations (ie. $$$). :rolleyes:

Oh, and I confirmed with TomTom that the $24.95/year is the actual cost for TomTom PLUS Traffic and it's in effect now.
oh? but I thought the free-trial ends in Nov.

oh? but I thought the free-trial ends in Nov.
According to TomTom, they told the traffic trial was dependent on when you registered, and it also may depend on the TomTom device. But there's no specific trial expiration date. All new TT devices should have a trial traffic period.

I don't understand it either, but here in the States and Canada - it costs, while in Europe it's free...
It has nothing to do with government regulations.

In North America the RDS-TMC data providers (ClearChannel and Inrix) operate the service as a commercial venture. They charge an annual subscription for using the service. I believe that they restrict its use by restricting the availability of the TMC location table (they may also encrypt the TMC messages, not sure about that).

To be able to use TMC you must have the location table. It is the location table that enables an incident to be related to a particular area on a road.

In most of Europe, national governments provide the location table, not commercial companies. They are also responsible for transmitting the TMC messages. They do both for free (well, with our tax money).

Without knowing the correct location table, you cannot use the TMC messages (as your device doesn't know where the incident occurs). This is why simply buying a TMC antenna in Europe will not get you TMC traffic in the US. This also explains why you would need a firmware update to be able to use TMC receivers in the US, you need the ClearChannel location table.

Big announcement for RDS-TMC receiver but...

...I'm still a little frustrated by the fact that it was originally announced as being an optional accessory back when I purchased my 720 yet it wasn't available (just like voice recognition). Now they make this big announcement on the site saying that it's now available via tomtom.com and major retailers yet no one has it nor can give a release date!! I checked the same Best Buy locations that had the 720 available and they all say that they "doubt" that they will carry the accessory for whatever reason.

...I'm still a little frustrated by the fact that it was originally announced as being an optional accessory back when I purchased my 720 yet it wasn't available (just like voice recognition). Now they make this big announcement on the site saying that it's now available via tomtom.com and major retailers yet no one has it nor can give a release date!! I checked the same Best Buy locations that had the 720 available and they all say that they "doubt" that they will carry the accessory for whatever reason.

Given the low subscription price for the traffic, I'd say go with TT Traffic instead (assuming you have a good GPRS plan with your cellphone provider).

Given the low subscription price for the traffic, I'd say go with TT Traffic instead (assuming you have a good GPRS plan with your cellphone provider).
I'd have to agree. I've found TomTom's PLUS Traffic to be pretty accurate, at least where I am in Southern California anyway.

Since I have an unlimited data plan as is, the 25 bucks a year is well worth it for avoiding the mess that is the DC Beltway.

I wish that I could

I would opt for the GPSR traffic option via cellphone if my phone and service were supported. I have a Motorola Q via Verizon which is CDMA and will not work with the traffic service via bluetooth. I can't win LOL

:eek:

I would opt for the GPSR traffic option via cellphone if my phone and service were supported. I have a Motorola Q via Verizon which is CDMA and will not work with the traffic service via bluetooth. I can't win LOL

I have a motorola Q silver and traffic works fine for me....you need to make sure have "tethering" enabled from Verizon for an additional $15/month.

I have a Verizon TreoWX, and it works.
Make sure your phone has bluetooth, internet service, and supports DUN (dial-up-networking)
Turn bluetooth settings on your phone on, and make phone discoverable
On TT, go to menu and select "Tom Tom Traffic"
It will ask you to set up wireless data connection, select yes.
Next, before setting up wireless data connection, follow the prompts to set up the bluetooth link between your phone and your TT. Starting here, lasting through the entire process, keep an eye on your phone as it will prompt you for a password (0000). It will prompt you to do so multiple times, if you fail to do so within a minute or so, the set-up attempt will fail, and you'll have to start over.
After that is complete, it will attempt to set up the wireless data connection choose to set it up manually.
access point name: vzw3g
Username: mobile#@vzw3g.com (mobile# is your cell phone #)
Password: vzw
Dialup #: #777
DHCP: "auto"
DNS: "auto"
logon script: leave it blank

If this doesn't work, turn off both devices, then try again. Took me a couple times to establish link.

Also, in the "dial-up#" field, TT places a default *99 there
once you have set it up, then try to do at least a weather update, just to make sure you are connected. Once you are connected you can try to up date traffic. If it fails, then call customer support at Tom Tom, 866-486-6866. They can re-set your user name and password so you will be able to log on. This is were I had to go because i was getting the old your subscription has expired message. When I called them they re-set the account. It is still free at least until November as far as I know.

No Data Traffic for US!?!

I manually set up data connection on my TMO BB 8800...confirmed by getting the weather.

However, the main thing that I was interested in is traffic and I don't see a data traffic option for the US on the TomTom site or on TomTom Home software. In the plus services only the European traffic option is offered and on TomTom's website, US is not listed as one of the countries that has data traffic avail.? This seems strange considering the number of people that mentioned having data traffic and who are in the US.

Anyone have any more info on this? Thanks.

This page doesn't list the US:

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=3&Lid=4

This page does list the US in the chart:

http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=rds-tmc

Steve

Last edited:
newyorkone, using TT Home, it doesn't say USA....but it does cover USA.

I have the service and it does work very well....Here is Central, Florida.

PSJ aka Marc

According to Tom Tom support, the fact that US traffic isn't listed is a Tom Tom Home glitch. (surprise, surprise) When you buy the subscription, it covers the US. Mine is working nicely and it's well worth the $24.95. It's already saved me several times.

Ask a Question