tomtom start 2 not switching on

Hi my tomtom start 2 model 1EX00 refuses to turn on i have a general idea of how to dismantle these units but just looking for a few pointers thanks dean Sorry i just need to add that i have been through the reset procedures but still nothing hapening

Last edited:
Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till the drum sound is heard? (don't know if that model has a dedicated reset hole)

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till the drum sound is heard? (don't know if that model has a dedicated reset hole)

No... the Start 2 is not a model that uses the power button for resetting.
There *is* a dedicated reset button, but it is INSIDE the outer case.

To reset your TomTom device, do the following:

1. Remove the Mount from the device by pressing the release button on the Mount.

2027_start_01.jpg2027_start_02.jpg

2. Pull the back cover off the device by holding either side of the cover and pushing the device through the centre of the cover.

2027_start_04.jpg

3. Use a straightened paper clip, or something similar, to push the reset button for at least 15 to 20 seconds. The reset button is on the bottom of your device.

2027_start_06.jpg

dhn... Until "the chart" gets updated, there's a very useful set of pages on the TT website that explains the reset procedure for every (I think) model.

The UK version is here:
Reset

Hi can ANYBODY help i have done all i can to try and bring my tom tom start 2 back to life with no avail
held the start button in for 20 seconds
removed the case and done the reset several times
i am happy to delve further in to the unit if somebody knows how to restart the unit internally i am an eiectrician so have a general gnwolage of the pcb and internal parts
any help would be welcomed thanks deano

Lets get a bit more information...
You say it doesn't turn on.
What exactly happens?
Do you hear any clicks or sounds from the loudspeaker,? Do you see anything at all on the screen?
Is it the same if you use the car charger?
If you connect the Start 2 to a PC, does the PC recognise it as a new mass storage device?

If the unit is completely dead and unresponsive, there is nothing to reset or restart on the main PCB,, About the only check you can do is disconnect the battery and check it's not completely short-circuit.

Is it still under guarantee?

Hi sorry for delay in replying no the unit makes no sounds ,there is nothing at all on the screen
but the computer will communicate fully with the unit
the unit is out of warranty

Last edited:
unit has been left charging for days but still nothing there are three leads on the battery any idea what the voltages between each cable should be, thanks for reply

but the computer will communicate fully with the unit

Ah, that's probably very relevant! That's the first indication that it is not completely dead.

If you fire up tomTom Home, can you use the on-screen emulator ("Operate my Start")?

No idea on the battery leads, I'm afraid. If you're keen you could Google for a new battery, then try to work out from any pictures what generic battery type it is and see if there are any spec. sheets on-line.

Ask a Question