TomTom One vs. Nuvi 350

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2 / Jetta MK5
I've really been torn between these two units. I live in the USA and have always been told that the TeleAtlas maps were really geared toward the European audience. But now there is a new map update and it seems as though the map issue may be a moot point.

So between these two units, both of which seem pocketable enough to me, which was a main deal maker, I'm really wondering, of all things, is which one has the better window mount? I used to have a Garmin c320 and the glass mount was fantastic. I've heard horror stories about TomTom's suction cup mount... but that they may have upgraded it.

So what's the current story about the suction mounts for the TomTom One unit? Are they adequate?

Also, what does the TomTom experience provide that the Garmin or other brands to not.

Nice to be here!

Hi truthiness, welcome!
So what's the current story about the suction mounts for the TomTom One unit? Are they adequate?
My ONE mount has been stuck since day one....have not moved it, has not fallen.

they ONLY downside I can see is that you cannot buy another OEM mount. If you loose it or breaks it you have to buy the alternative mount system, which isn't all bad either.

Also, what does the TomTom experience provide that the Garmin or other brands to not.
I personally can't say anything about a Garmin, never owned one. Though before I got my ONE I was looking and according to Consumer reports, it was the 'best deal" (I subscribe). beyond that I know there are many many 'add-ons' you can put on your TomTom that a Garmin can't even think about doing....

It all boils down to personal taste.

Hello and welcome, truthiness. I'll jump in here as I owned a nuvi 350 awhile back. I liked it tremendously. What it has going for it is text-to-speech. The ONE does not provide this. But the ONE has bluetooth so you can grab weather and/or traffic, but if you'll read the forums, those are probably NOT reasons to choose the ONE. :)

The Garmin maps (provided by Navteq) are said to be better in North America, but with TT's new map updates, I would say this simply isn't the case any longer. My brother lives in a 5 year old neighborhood, my ONE finds it while the Nuvi 660 (same maps as the 350) still didn't have his street.

Test both in the stores, if you can. My personal opinion is that Garmin's maps are cartoonish. I much prefer the map look on the TT.

The Nuvi has "extras" that the ONE does not, like mp3 capabilities, photos, travel guides, language guides, calculator, etc. I never used these.

The ONE is SOOOOO much more user-configurable. Tons of voices, tons of custom POI, and quite a few 3rd party apps that mirror what Garmin offers.

For the money, I really prefer the ONE. But the 350 is an excellent unit. I liked it alot. Hope this helps you.

Oh, and the mount is great. But the nuvi's mount is great too. :)

I much prefer the map look on the TT.
Which is Customizable on ALL TomTom models... i don't know if Garmin can do that...

The Nuvi has "extras" that the ONE does not, like mp3 capabilities, photos, travel guides, language guides, calculator, etc.
But with FREE 3rd-party tweaks you can (or will be able to)

Oh yeah, one thing I really wished the ONE had that the nuvi has is the ability to change to a cool car icon on the map screen.

But to put this into perspective, the 350 is about $450 these days while you can get a ONE for $250.

thanks for the quick feedback.

All things considered, I'm probably going to try out a ONE next... the extra functions on the Nuvi are probably things I'd use rarely if at all. Just need to get from point A to point B and would like to be able to put the GPS in my pocket between rides. The extra $200 for the Nuvi is hard for me to justify.

How does the ONE function in a 'walking city streets' environment?

It has a "walking" feature. I myself have not used it, but it is there. The nuvi has this too. Honestly, for me - since I didn't use the mp3/photo/calculator/etc, the ONLY think I miss from the 350 is the text to speech. But is that worth $200? Not to me. :)

I love my ONE. As do most people in this forum. :)

Real Life experiences:

TT1:
1100mAh (last no more than 100 min)
Windshield Mount (stay on less than 24 hours in NOT-Sub-Zero Winter)
Tele Atlas New 2007 version 665, North America (extremely nice and great POI data base)
Signal strength: fast and responsive.

Verdic: Sold it after only 3 days of use. Because of Short-life battery, and poor windshield mount. I can't stand power cord hanging over my center console. And I can't find wall plug on my hiking route!!!! Other than that, I have no complain.

Nuvi350:
1800mAh Li-Po (last aroud 4 hours)
Windshield mount is STRONG!
Navteq NTV8 is Great. (still can't find many retail stores around my area)
Signal Strength: STRONG, Fast and responsive.

Verdic: Sold it after 1 week. There nothing I can complain about the NUVI, except its price.

Currently use: TT 510. (bought refurb unit from MacMall) strong signal, fast response, great map, LONG LASTING battery life. (2400mAh)
Price is only : $299.
________
Park Royal 1 Pattaya

Last edited:
thanks for the quick feedback.

All things considered, I'm probably going to try out a ONE next... the extra functions on the Nuvi are probably things I'd use rarely if at all. Just need to get from point A to point B and would like to be able to put the GPS in my pocket between rides. The extra $200 for the Nuvi is hard for me to justify.

How does the ONE function in a 'walking city streets' environment?
I had a problem with the windshield mount.... until I realise it was my stupidity for not attaching it properly. You'll have to grab the centre arm and push that towards the windshield for a really secure mount (I'm having a hard time releasing it b/c of the slope my windshield!). So ya, once you realise that pushing it in from the centre gives you a secure mount, you'll have no problems.

I've tried the walking feature. It's kinda cool but I was walking on sidewalks of roads accessible to traffic anyway so I couldn't test out how well it uses one-way streets and such.

My issue is the short 2 hour battery life but the car charger charges it fairly quickly. Even when you're using it and you plug it in when the battery is low, it'll be fully charged within the hour.

Garmins are overpriced.
Garmin & Magellan live in the days that they own the world, with no competitors.
If they don't wake up soon, they will get crushed - if not by TomTom then by very strong contenders like Mio.
Garmin is still strong in the hand held scene, but Delorme just came out with a strong unit (the PN-20).

I agree that Garmins are overpriced. I don't have any experience with Magellan. But a $200 premium for Text-to-Speech is too high for me. You can buy a TT 910 for less than you can get a nuvi 350 these days! Go TT!

I agree that Garmins are overpriced. I don't have any experience with Magellan. But a $200 premium for Text-to-Speech is too high for me. You can buy a TT 910 for less than you can get a nuvi 350 these days! Go TT!

YEAP...

Oh, did I mention you can replace (little higher 2600mAh) LG Li-ion battery yourself for your 510/710/910 for around US$10 Or use the Original spec for around $8?
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1139
510battery.JPG

And no, I can't find any replacement battery for NUVI series yet. (well, actually you can use Modified iQue's battery to fit in Nuvi. However, for $70 a pop, I might as well throw the nuvi away after one year )

And for TT1, forget about the battery replacement. The battery space on that TT1 measure 50mmx35mmx5mm. (I can't find any Li-Po battery with higher mAh to fit in there)
________
Colorado medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited:
These are all very good points. If battery life is one of the most important things to you, you'd be better served by a Nuvi (or a 510 or 910 model.) The battery life on my ONE is nothing at all to brag about. But personally, what's most important to me, is size. It's just so easy to travel with, and most of my trips are from the airport to hotel/from hotel to site and back/from site to airport again. These are typically 20-30 minute jaunts, so I charge the battery each night via usb. But that's just my personal situation, and obviously everyone's needs are different! :)

so is upgrading the battery in the ONE a possibility?

Also, do any of the TT's allow for geocaching to upload routes traveled to a PC?

so is upgrading the battery in the ONE a possibility?

Not that I know of. Well, I could modified Motorola A1300's battery to use w/ TT1, but it only has 900mAh. Worst than TT1 OEM.
Other than that, I can't find any Li-Po battery that will fit in there.

Also, do any of the TT's allow for geocaching to upload routes traveled to a PC?

I am "no clue" :p
________
CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:
for 250 + tax vs ~400... eh, not worth my extra 150. i wanted something cheap and simple. fits the bill nicely.

now only if i can get it to mount somewhere other than my windshield.

for 250 + tax vs ~400... eh, not worth my extra 150. i wanted something cheap and simple. fits the bill nicely.

now only if i can get it to mount somewhere other than my windshield.

hmm... I have played w/ Caliber P3600. It is actually also extremely easy to use. It come w/ a such strong windshield mount like Garmin.
Faster CPU @ 300mhz WinCE version 5 core than TT1. Navteq V.8 map. Highly "hackable" and "customize".

Only reason I returned it, because it also has pathetic 1230mAh battery.

I know I will be flame here..but between TT1 and Caliber P3600, I will take the Caliber. :p
( Because I don't need to spend extra on the windshield mount, also hack it to full function PDA :) )

p.s. I forgot to mention, Caliber can be SHUT DOWN w/ the power button. (yes, it can also be in standby mode) Unlike TT1, seems to be on StandBy unless SD card is removed.
________
Live ***

Last edited:
Did you guys see the new price on TomTom site ?

- 910 : 499$
- 510 : 399$
- One : 299$

Dealers may even sell for less !

Dealers do sell for less! Office Depot is selling for $249 this week, and you can routinely find a ONE on Amazon for about $279. Nice price! :)

And to "no clue"... I've never even heard of Caliber. Not that I'm a huge name-brand nut, but if it was between a TT or Caliber, or even a Garmin or Caliber, I'd most likely go with the brand I've heard of and who has more reviews and users. But that's just me personally. :)

Ask a Question