Tomtom one third edition 1GB Socket

TomTom Model(s)
one third edition
Hello,

Could someone please point me in the right direction..

I have a Tomtom one third edition 1GB and the USB socket at the bottom of the GPS has loosend. so I guess it needs some light welding with some soldering iron.

but i thought I might as well change the USB socket while I'm at it.

the question is I found a few on ebay for cheap dirt but can I use any tomtom socket for my tomtom.

for example this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pin-Fem...1646715915581041353&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

i look forward to your replies.

Thank you.

No idea, I'm afraid.
All USB sockets will all be so similar that it will be impossible to tell if that one is perfectly compatible without comparing it with the original one, side-by side.

If you are happy to try the micro-soldering required, why not just buy a "cheap dirt" spare socket and use it if it looks right once you're inside the TT?

Watch out for broken tracks on the PCB though. Often it's not the solder joints that fail, but the once the socket gets loose, the movement rips the copper right off the board.

Watch out for broken tracks on the PCB though. Often it's not the solder joints that fail, but the once the socket gets loose, the movement rips the copper right off the board.
this
iv done tech repair (small pcb for nokia)

if the socket is lose (the mounting tabs for the plug are broken or the solder is lose) then odds are it tore the pads off the pcb and its unrepairable

the solder pads are easy to tear off if not heated evenly when trying to remove it with a soldering iron

removing surface mount sockets is harder than removing thru hold components, unless you have a desoldering station, a heat gun could work too
the one i used was similar to this
http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_851.html

Ask a Question