TomTom One Third Edition question

OK, I was really planning on staking out BestBuy for the Limited Edition, but they just had the Third Edition online for $150, where I opted to pick it up in-store and avoid the lines on Friday (as well as the cold front). I'm somewhat disappointed that I had to spend $30 more and lose some functionality, but I have some questions about that.

As far as itinerary planning goes, I'm a college student, not a traveler. If, for whatever reason, I needed to do a long drive through a certain city, I could just navigate to that city first, then on to my destination, right? No reason to necessarily use the itinerary feature? Is there any possibility that this could be re-added in a future update?

And I'm also sad about the missing SD slot. However, is there enough free space on the built in memory that I really won't feel it unless I want to try to watch movies or something? Heck, I could do without maps of Canada if that would simplify things, but I picked this TomTom over the Garmin Nuvi because I know that having POIs is important and apparently the TomTom has more. I won't need to cut any out with the third edition, will I?

I'm really hoping that yall confirm my assumptions, as that'd make me feel better about bailing out of the hardcore black friday line. But on the other hand, I'd prefer a truthful answer... there's still time for me to change my mind lol

Edit: Oops, didn't realize this was in the tweaking section. Thought I had hit the back button. If this isn't the proper place, feel free to move it.

Last edited:
I' m new so I'll only answer yor most basic question. The only time you need to use your TomTom is whenever you require directions. You also have the option of ignoring route suggestions when the TomTom is being used. In other words, use it as you see fit.

Hope this addressed at least part of your inquiry. Enjoy your GPS!

Yea, well I mean if I go off to college, my parents have the routes they always drive on and the stops they always make, so I just want to be able to mimic those same routes since, if for some reason the GPS fails, my parents should be able to tell me where I am. But I believe the 3rd edition allows you to make a route through a POI, so I suppose I could always use that as the same type of thing. Come to think of that, how is that different from the itinerary planning anyway?

Still need the other questions answered, thanks for the help though!

yes, you can take your trips one city at a time on the tomtom. actually, the 3rd edition will do itinerary planning. it just takes a menu modification. and no, you're not going to watch any movies on the 3rd edition, but i think you may have enough room to even add a few poi's that you would like too add. the canada and usa maps are inseparable. you can delete the guam map. that will give you some room. hope i answered your question. but, you may still find a 2nd edition somewhere if you have the time to look. office stores, radio shack, etc. but on the second edition with the sd slot, you are not getting the most up to date maps nor a map upgrade guarantee. so that will cost you some coin for the map update should you decide that you want it. although i am not really too sure how much better the updated maps are compared too what is on the 2nd edition. the ability to have and use mapshare is the biggest advantage right now with the updated maps and you have that with the 3rd edition plus a map upgrade guarantee. you also will have to purchase an sd card for the 2nd edition if you want to use one with it. it doesn't come with an sd card.

Yes, updated maps are important, which is why I want either the 3rd edition or the LE. Like I said, I just grabbed the 3rd edition because it was only $30 more and I don't have to freeze outside for 6 hours. But as far as the maps on the 3rd edition... is there anything mapwise that I wouldn't be able to load? Does anyone have maps of the US that take up more than 1gb? I want the most accurate maps possible with the most POIs possible. Considering the 3rd edition is the newest version and the 2nd editions are being phased out, I'd have to assume that TomTom wouldn't make the map size an issue, but I'd still like to know that I'm not sacrificing anything as far as maps/POIs go.

the maps are the same for all of the units as far as i know. the difference being that of some details being left out to make the map smaller to fit on the limited space. the streets, which are the important part for me are i think all the same. and the points of interest databases are bigger on the units with the larger map sizes. this is where one advantage of the sd slot would come in, you can add all the databases you want. you can get sd cards up too 4 gigs that will work on the 2nd edition.

if you read around on this forum, you will find that the general consensus is that the 2nd edition is the better unit simply because of the sd slot plus bluetooth if that is important for you. as i said earlier, you don't get the map update guarantee and that will cost you some more coin.

i had a 3rd edition and took it back. i opted for the 2nd edition myself for the sd slot and then updated the maps to mapshare after the newer maps came out.

How customizable are the POI databases? Like I said, I don't travel too often, so could I just limit the POIs I want to a specific area? I'd like to be able to get the 2nd edition for the same price, but it seems like for $150 the 3rd edition is the only option :( Who knows, maybe the LEs won't sell out and I'll be able to grab one of those without camping out.

I really don't want to regret my purchase :(

the points of interest databases are as customizable as you want. i'm not sure about the built in databases. but you can make your own databases or download them from various sources including this board. here is another example of a place that you can find poi's www.poi-factory.com. you can download free software to make your own poi's, i think you can request poi's from that portion of this board that deals with poi's.

all in all, if you have already purchased the 3rd edition, you will not be disappointed with it. it is an entry level gps unit and simply will not have all the bells and whistles with it that a many times more expensive unit will have. it will get you from point a to point b and that is what counts regardless of how fancy or plain it is.

Yay! I was able to order the LE this morning for $119! So I'm going to cancel the order for the 3rd edition. Now, is there any immediate need for me to get a bigger SD card? I believe the LE also has built in memory, right? If I ever decided to get a bigger SD card, would a 2gb or 4gb card be more sufficient? If a 4gb card can actually be best utilized, I might as well pick on of those up on sale. I can get a 2gb card for $15 any time.

I just said I managed to pick up an LE, which has the SD card slot, bluetooth, and itinerary planning. I had ordered the 3rd edition, but I'm going to cancel that order. So, any reason to get the bigger SD card immediately?

no. you will know when it's time. when you want to install something and there is no room.:) or you can't upgrade something that you want too.

Itineary

yes, you can take your trips one city at a time on the tomtom. actually, the 3rd edition will do itinerary planning. it just takes a menu modification.

Does anyone know how to do this modification?

this worked for me when i had my 3rd. no guarantees.

first thing, make sure you have a current backup.

Secondly, understand that there are some trade offs on your menu selections available after you do this. You will lose that help function you have available now and there may be some duplicates of other menu functions, but the loss of the help item on the menu is the main one.

Thirdly, this worked when I owned my 3rd edition, but it was also under an older operating system than the current 7.161 or whatever it is now. But I imagine this still works with no problem other than the menu trade offs.

Go to this web site http://www.skux.net/tomtom/menubuilder2/index.php

I had my tomtom turned on and setting beside me when I did this so that I could reference the current menu options available and to put them into the correct order when I was building my new menu. There are also threads on here that discuss menu building. Just search for them.

If my memory serves correctly, the web site explains in detail how to build your menu and the directory you need to make on your tomtom to install the new menu. Tomtom will automatically see the directory and access the menu there, if you are not happy with it, simply erase the new directory entry along with it's contents and tomtom will revert back to it's original menu.

While you are building your new menu, make sure you add the itinerary option into your menu and it should work. It did on mine and the itinerary planning worked just fine and dandy.

Go ahead and try it, you aren't making any changes that you can't undo with a few simple key strokes.

Good luck and make sure to let me know how it works out for you.

Can You Add Mexico Maps???

I just got the Tomtom one third edition and was disapointed to see that their is no sd slot. I know it has a internal memory but what is the memory size?? I travel A lot to mexico and I am thinking of returning my tomtom to buy a nuvi since i know i can add new maps to the nuvi. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a full Mexico Gps maps?

I just got the Tomtom one third edition and was disapointed to see that their is no sd slot. I know it has a internal memory but what is the memory size?? I travel A lot to mexico and I am thinking of returning my tomtom to buy a nuvi since i know i can add new maps to the nuvi. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a full Mexico Gps maps?

No Mexico maps for TomTom. I don't know about Garmin, but make sure before you buy!

I thought about returning my 3rd Ed for an LE when I saw it was back on sale at BB, but I noticed the 3rd Edition has a 380Mhz processor vs the LE's 266MHz.

Won't that be a big issue with route recalculation and all that?

My dad got a Mio, an entry level one like the TTOne. We took a trip and a couple times we missed a turn, and by the time it recalculated the route, we were already past the next turn it was re-routing us to.

I thought that with the 3rd Edition being much faster, it would help with this, so I am not sure if I wanted to return my 3rd Ed. just for a Bluetooth connection for Traffic that may not even be that accurate.

Anyone have experience with this?

I thought about returning my 3rd Ed for an LE when I saw it was back on sale at BB, but I noticed the 3rd Edition has a 380Mhz processor vs the LE's 266MHz.

My 3rd edition box say 266Mhz CPU. I think maybe only the UK versions are 380Mhz or it's a typo.

My 3rd edition box say 266Mhz CPU. I think maybe only the UK versions are 380Mhz or it's a typo.

You are correct it looks like. Amazons description lists it at 380Mhz, but everyone else has it pegged at 266MHz. So I just bought an LE through Best Buy for $150 ($25 more than my 3rd Edition), but I think it will be worth it. I have more use for Traffic/Weather through my phone than dropping $129 on a traffic receiver I have not seen great reviews for.

Is it true the LE has full Navigon 7 and not the Lite? That would be great.

Thank you for your reply!

Ask a Question