tomtom one 3rd edition

If it supports itineraries (TT speak) or routes (Garmin speak), a.k.a. multiple stops. The One 3rd Edition is not one of those.

Hi chaps, I have used itinerary planning on the One third edition, but with the latest Navcore installed to the unit it certainly won't work.

Depending upon which version of software is installed to the One third edition it is possible to get the itinerary option working by running a custom menu on the unit, this was only possible on the original software supplied with the device when it first launched with Navcore 7,101 installed - Mike

Welcome to our side of the pond, Mike!!!

Recently, we have been having an influx of new users from the UK, mainly I think because the new owner (admin), Rob, lives in London! ;)

In any event, if you can see your way to drop in whenever you can, it would be great, if for nothing more than to see if questions by our UK members might be able to be answered.

I don't think it's telling tales out of school if I let others here know that Mikealder is a moderator of a terrific gps Board (pocketgpsworld.com) located in the UK.

There are few, if any, that know more about TomToms -- software and hardware -- than Mike.

And trust me, Mike is NOT a 'yes man' for TomTom, the company or the product!

Again, nice to see you here.................:D

can you put in waypoints in a tomtom like you can a handheld gps

I think we need to understand the question better. It seems to come from a user who has used Handheld GPSs and wants to know if the TT can find a waypoint (distination) by entering Lat/Lon.

The TT will accept Lat/Lon, but I think it will have a problem if it can't snap the position to a street. There are some 3rd party applications that let you take the TT "off road" by disabling the snap to road feature.

If that is the questhio, then check out "OffRoad"
Le Web Bazar !!! Offroad Navigator !!!

But, if the question wa about miltiple waypints on a route, then the previous answers are relevant. I think you can add one waypoint by using the "Travel Via" feature in the TT1 3rd.

waypoints on tt 3rd edition

what i am wanting to do it to ,when i find a great fishing place via roads is to mark this place on the road so i can drive back to it from different areas

Last edited:
Or consider running a custom menu on the device to get the full POI options available on the device, this way when you visit a location you can add the true location to your POI file on the device, the One Third edition has a crippled menu that removes certain options as supplied, a custom menu can offer you the full POI options. Its not difficult to do if you want the menu text just post asking for it and I will post up some details - Mike

I don't have a tt 3rd and don't know how similar it is to my one 125, so I don't think I can help on mikealder's custom menu idea.

But, another option is to create the POI directly in your 3rd.

This is how I would do it in the One 125, check the steps to your 3rd, and see if it works.

Go to Map corrections.
Correct a map error
Add missing POI
Choose a category (Beach, for example)
Select location (probably on map)

It will then ask you to name it, phone number, etc. I didn't carry it all the way out, because I'm set up to share my corrections and I don't want to add something that is actually bogus. Which is another reason why I use POIFriend. But, just a suggestion, there are probably people who know this better than I who can help.

Installing a custom menu:

Make sure you made a full backup of the device using Windows Explorer BEFORE trying the following.

Fire up Windows Explorer and connect your TomTom to the PC, shut down the TomTom Home application if it starts.
Your TomTom device will be showing as a drive letter, right click the drive letter associated with the TomTom and select New/ Folder Name the folder "SdkRegistry"

Copy the following text in to the application NotePad on your PC:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main menu 1 of 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main menu 2 of 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

Choose File/ Save As and name the file TomTom.mnu this needs to be saved in to the SdkRegistry folder on the TomTom.

Make sure you click the remove hardware option from the taskbar to safely stop the PC communicating with the TomTom, then unplug the cable, when the device boots up you will now have the full POI menu options available to you on the device. Note HelpMe and MapShare will both be missing from the menu as it isn't possible to add these functions to a custom menu. Don't select "Itinerary Planning" as that can crash the device on version 8 software, if you are running 7,166 the Itinerary option will work fine.

To revert back to the standard menu connect the device to the PC and go to the SdkRegistry folder using Windows Explorer, right click the TomTom.mnu file and choose re-name, name the file TomTom_old.mnu and the normal menu will return devoid of the POI options - Mike

Isn't it easier to add a specific location (in this case a fishing spot) by using Add Favorite (sic) and then 'GPS position' ?

You can always create a POI file (using Tyre or POIEdit) when you have time or the inclination so all can be shown on the map at the same time. Then share it here on the forum with other piscatorial friends so that they all know where the good spots are.:D

If I'm wrong then please don't shoot me, I'll just crawl back under my stone.:)

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

what i am wanting to do it to ,when i find a great fishing place via roads is to mark this place on the road so i can drive back to it from different areas

Lots of ways to record a spot, just like there are lots of ways to catch fish. :eek: It sounds like you are new to this TomTom stuff and are probaly thinking this is way too complicated. Living with technologically challenged daughters and wife and also helping my 83 year old in-laws, I have to think, "how could they do this?" It is realy quite simple.

I have a TT One 2nd edition with Navcor 7 but I am sure the technique will be very simular to yours.

When you get to that great spot with palm trees and biting fish,

Go to the MAIN MENU
Tap ADD FAVORITE
find and Tap MY LOCATION (GPS LOCATION)
If there is a "?" then you are too far from a street on the map and TomTom will not record your spot, move to the nearest street abd start again. If it dispalys an address (you can replace the address with a name like "Big Catfish Here"), you are done. Tap DONE

There it is. (See Chapter 9 of Manual)

Now for the fancy stuff:
You can only save 48 FAVORITES so if you do this alot, your older favorites will start to be erased.
What you might want to do is creat a POI catagory for FISHING, then you can ADD PIO from you FAVORITE list. Or you can add a GPS LOCATION directly to the POI catagory you created ("FISHING")

You can also change the name of your FAVORITE spots through MANAGE FAVORITES. The problem withthat is you loose the address by replacing it with a name. TT will get you there, however, just not display the address.

Note: The Manage POIs button is only available when all menu buttons are
shown. To show all menu buttons, tap Show ALL menu options in the
Preferences menu.

When you get real advanced, you can share your POI list with others on sites like POIfactory - but then again, you may not want to :D

The above posts contain good advice, but maybe more than you ar ready for at this time.

Good Fishing

Last edited:
The point is guys the One Third Edition doesn't have the Mangage POI menu option unless you run a custom menu on the device, so this option isn't available with a stock device - Mike

The point is guys the One Third Edition doesn't have the Mangage POI menu option unless you run a custom menu on the device, so this option isn't available with a stock device - Mike

That's interesting. Have you selected to SHOW ALL MENU OPTIONS in PREFERENCES?

Even without the POI options available, can you add a Favorite from the Main Menu?

All menu options are visible, the One Third Edition is rather unique with its below par menu structure - you do get the option to add favourites etc, but I prefer to use the POI functions via the ov2 files, having this disabled on the device by default is a major step in the wrong direction, but the custom menu can resolve the issue - Mike

Ask a Question