TomTom Map Update Service How to join?

I have a new 540s and can not subscribe to this tomtom feature. Has anyone successfully subscribed?

My problem is when I go to purchase the server returns some unexpected error.

ERROR: 236/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: %2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A

Pretty sure this is a server side problem, but tomtom support has not been able to help me much.

I have tried,

1) Installing Home on new machine, Macbook
2) connecting directly to cable modem with \out firewall or router in the way
3) Tried multiple different email addresses

At this point, pretty convinced that this may never work

Suggestions anyone?

I think the only thing to do is call support again. For your location, the payment server should be located in the US so there should not be an issue.

866-486-6866. This time, ask for second level support or somebody who can walk you through the process while you are online.

Ask them whether they want your money or not...........:confused:

The support folks says that the backend team has looked at this. The answer right now is

wait for the new maps and Home at the end of the month.

It is strange that they are not more interested in selling me this

Did you have an old Tomtom assigned to that email address? Re-using email addresses for different Tomtoms cause all sorts of weird subscription errors.

Try a new email address to see if it helps.

new email

This is the first tomtom unit I have owned, so there is no legacy to worry about.

I have tried 3 new email addresses after the first one failed.

The latest update from tomtom support is that this is still being investigated and they should
have some resolution in next few weeks.

So, I am waiting

The support folks says that the backend team has looked at this. The answer right now is
wait for the new maps and Home at the end of the month.
It is strange that they are not more interested in selling me this

If I were a cynical person I could come to the conclusion that they are trying to maximise their dollars in as much as once the new map is out you will have to buy that before you can purchase the subscription of maps.

I googled around a bit and the "payment server returned an unexpected error" error has so far always been a server glitch. Usually it comes back in a couple of days.

With the 540S being such a new model, Tomtom may have not programmed that model properly into their servers yet .

If you bought your 540S about 20 days ago (or less), I recommend waiting a few more days and use Latest Map Guarantee to get the free update. Hopefully in 1-2 weeks the 845 map update will be out.

Then you'll have 3 months for Tomtom to figure out the subscription issue.

I bet Tomtom support is hoping the subscription problem will be worked out by the February map release.

In my calls with Tomtom support they have pretty much accepted this as an issue with their
servers.

They kind of say, that the system is not yet ready for updates from 540s.

so, the plan is to wait. I have asked them about the costs of waiting and new map updates. They
have told me that I should have no issues since I am on record as having this problem.

We will see. They have always been extremely nice to work with on the phone.

Raise a Support ticket and confirm that telephone conversation so that you have written proof.

I did that when they said ALG would only be available in Canada in the second to next map issue.

When I contacted them at that time for the free map they tried to deny all knowledge of it even though I made them read the Support ticket to which they sent the usual boiler plate post that the problem is solved as I did not reply within 72 hours.

I have exactly the same issue with my new XL335S and XL340S (ERROR: 236/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: %2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A)

Have contacted support 3 times over the last few weeks. First suggestion was to create a new e-mail account did that, did not work. Tried all the following: installed on another computer, tried another network. The last call got a referral to a higher support level - apparently some of the new models (not all) have issues with the payment server that they are looking into. I have the same concern if the new map comes out before I get a subscription.

Progress?

This morning I tried updating again. Had some success, was prompted about a new map. was allowed to jone the yearly map update club and provided VISA information.

When I continue down the path, get prompted about a huge download followed by

unauthorized http 401 errors.!!!!!!

Got afinal receipt and the charge in on my account.

Called support and they say they are working on this and will get back to me. This is news t othem.

Does anyone at TOMTOM actually try their own software. Their software designers should be flogged

Typical server overload when a new map comes out. Give it a few hours and try again. Also, you should have no problem tomorrow.

The map download has an partial-download-resume feature. So if/when it fails partway through the download, go back to "update my XL" and the download should resume from where it left off.

Well, this is what I have done so far.

Turns out that the map subscription is not yet available!

tomtom support had me delete my current map and they did "something" on my system that allowed me
the opportunity to update to the latest map.

I can not believe they have designed this update scenario to be so "easy"

But, tomtom support has been very helpful and pleasent

Hi

They will have done one of two things.. Either reset your account, or issued you a new LMG. The errors you have experianced when trying to place a purchase is server load issues.

Hope all is working well :)

Vorlon

I now have the latest map. But, I am surprised they do not seem like they want to or are able to
sell subscription to the yearly update service.

For now, I will just wait until they figure it out.

I've been trying for 3 days now, on 2 computers, to update to the Map Update service for my XL 330 S that I bought just before Christmas, and I still get this.

What I want to know is, why can't I just buy the updated map from the tom tom standard website and just drop it onto my device? It mounts like a Normal FAT file system. Everything else seems to work.

For the record, I'm using Vista Home Premium SP2

ERROR: 298/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: An error has occurred. Please try again later.
An error has occurred. Please try again later.
Error code: 298
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment
Additional information: info = [object]
info.func = [string] payment/initiatePayment
info.args = [object]
info.args.deviceSerial = [string] RO3399A07184
info.args.pragueSerial = [string]
info.args.deviceCapabilities = [string] ArrivalSounds CarSymbol Caymann Documents Durham HDTraffic HomeBackup InternalFlash Itinerary MapOverlays Newyork Newyork1Dot6 NotAutomotiveEmbedded PlusBuddies PlusDownloadDynamic PlusDownloadGeneral PlusDownloadMap PlusDownloadPOI PlusDownloadRingTone PlusDownloadScheme PlusDownloadUpgrade PlusDownloadVoice PlusEphemeris PlusFixedSafetyCameras PlusFuelPrices PlusMessageNotification PlusMobileSafetyCameras PlusOnlineCamera PlusPushChannel PlusRoadConditions PlusTraffic PlusTripReporting PlusWeather Prague RDSTMC SDSlot StartupImage SuspendImage TTS TTSCompressed TTSNuance51 Traffic WarningSounds screensize=480x272
info.args.deviceParameters = [string] {"ApplicationVersion":"9667","ApplicationVersionVersionNumber":"8082"}
info.args.items = [string] 90073,80155
info.args.productlist = [string] 90073,80155

info.method = [string] POST
info.useCache = [string] false
info.dryRun = [string] false
info.xmluploadbody = [xml] <initiatePayment>
<contentidlist>
<content idurl="http://str1.id.tomtom.com/map/USA_and_Canada?version=835.2423" certificate="USA_and_Canada-81.meta.dct:AgAAABiwKM0akxd8qpQYDkodSrOIuEm8+RTzG6apG0N6vuwuloEf/+S7Z83NZApuBruB+XvaEsoey9fb5Gr/HGayg/ASprb9jOCpGr4cKZTpLJxd4zU9VncUAEMW35mL6CxA8o+xPwlFCDDYr4xjHrf9n9qCTmLzs04MFXhIXknCYj6k,"/>
</contentidlist>
</initiatePayment>

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:468
xmluploadbody: this.xmluploadbody
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:430
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:277
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 03:11:59 GMT

I've been trying for 3 days now, on 2 computers, to update to the Map Update service for my XL 330 S that I bought just before Christmas, and I still get this.

You have app 8.082, which is known for file-transfer corruption. Perhaps HOME disabled map purchases for that app to prevent corrupted installation.

Try the app remove/reinstall steps here, and then see if the map update works.

I did not do anything special. Reported the problem, waited like 6 weeks and it started working.

TomTom support did asst me during this time to update to the latest map. They had me download some file,
delete the files in some folder on the device and copy the updated map to the device. It was pretty simple.

They also offered me the map update at a discount because of the problem I had purchasing the
year of map updates.

Guess this is the manual way to update.

Guess I will not really know if I have honed until the next map update arrives.

Ask a Question