Tomtom keeps erroring / timing out during update

I've just bought an updated map set tried to update my tomtom maps on my TomTom XL (Black Edition)

I had problems getting tomtom home ton install the update tomtom application on the XL but it did it eventually.

However it then wiped my existing map set and tried copying the new one.

It now keeps hanging and aborting with an error.

I then took a windows explorer copy of everything that was left, reformatted and tried to reinstall. It keeps hanging with an I/O error on different files.

i've tried it on my MacBook (10.6.8) and my PC (windows 7) and both keep erroring with the error below. It's a diifferent file each time and looks like an I/O hang. If I try to copy stuff back using explorer, nearly every long file hangs.
Basically my TomTom is now a brick due to TomTom's update ... HELP!

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: G:\ttsystem
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
000003EE
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:14:42 GMT

Last edited:
If the "G:" drive is your TomTom, I wonder whether you ran into format problems. I'd try again, formatting with Win7. Select FAT32 format and do NOT select QuickFormat. If that works out, then connect your unit to Home again and you'll want to start with a reload of the firmware first (you won't really have a choice!) before you start trying to load the maps to your unit.

You may receive multiple firmware updates. After you have received the first one offered by Home, do a proper USB disconnect, power your unit down, power it up, and see if Home offers additional firmware updates. Rinse and repeat until no other firmware updates are offered. At that point, we'll deal with your map issue.

Ask a Question