TomTom Go 730 unuseable with no map found error during first registration

Just to provide update on this.

First thing that I would say is that NEVER BUY TOMTOM FROM HALFORDS.

Following success with my map update I found problem in connecting the device to computer. Only way to connect was by resetting the device which I thought was not right. The documentation says that place the device on the docking station and then switch it on but this did not prompt 'Do you want to connect to computer?'

I contacted Halfords again and they tried to convince me that there is no need to connect to cumputer as my map was up to date until 2001. But I knew that it was not. They also said that there is no need to download the map share updates. They refused to acknowledge that there is any fault and sait that 'We are only seller for TomTom. For any problem with this should be contacted to TomTomsupport' and also refused to excahange or replace it.

I then contacted TomTom support who tried to resolve the issue by flashing the bios which did appear to work temporarily. During my subsequent contact with TomTom (all within 10 day from the date of purchase) they agreed that there is a problem with hardware and organised return with Halfords. As I remember the TomTom support had hard time persuading Halfords to get grasp of the message "Customer Is Right" but they did succeed in that. And following morning Halfords exchanged the unit. I will now never buy an electroic product from Halfords and simialr other shops who do not have their own electronic support team.

Since then I am fairly happy with the device. However TomTom keep on updating Map and software very frequently with good reasons but with annoyance to the users. For example on the day when I exchanged the unit the unit's software was upgraded to ver 350. As a result the voice volume was significantly reduced.

Their user inrerface still needs big improvement. Should warn/advice the user before it downloads and updates the device. For example last week when the device software was upgraded to ver 351 it deleted my map alosng with all my downloaded POI and favorites. Luckily I had been burnt in the past and had kept a copy safely.

Hope all other TomTom730 users of West Europeam Maps are happier.

I would consider writting to Halfords main group head office, detail all the dates and issues you have had with this specific store and suggest some extra training is required for some of the staff at that shop, give them 7 days to respond before putting a copy of the letter in the hands of the local press (tell them you will do this in the main letter if they fail to respond).
At the very least I would expect a full apology, but you might get some store discount vouchers as compensation - even if you don't want to shop there again you could give them away.

I have had fun and games with Halfords before today, some stores (such as my local one) seem very good, well trained and polite staff, some others I have used don't have a clue about the devices they are selling - Mke

Ohh man, I so wish that was me in that situation with that store. I dare them to treat me that way. Glad it all worked out though.

Ask a Question