Tomtom 730 obsolete?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
My newer Tomtom Live 1005 died so I fired up my old TT 730 which had been a reliable work horse. Unfortunately after updating Tomtom Home software, I tried to update the GPS fix and it was refused connection to the Tomtom server. I also discovered the touchscreen to agree with the "terms and conditions" did not respond to repeated touching, so no map was able to load. I realize Tomtom has discontinued updates, maps etc. for this model, but I was still hoping to use it as a GPS. Is the 730 refused connection to satellites? Do I now have a Tomtom paperweight? I apologize in advance if this has been already discussed. Thanks.

There was an update for your 730 that resolved a problem that happened last April. You'll need to get Home to at least provide the firmware update to get around the problem of how the current date is calculated.

Still, without the GPSQuickFix file, you'll need to leave the device out in an open sky for up to 12 minutes for it to acquire the necessary satellite information to figure out where it is after all this time.

If you ignore the GPSQuickFix update, can you update the firmware for your device? Home should be suggesting something to you.

As for not being able to get the screen to respond, try poking the end of a toothpick or paperclip GENTLY into the reset hole in the bottom of your unit. See if that does any good with regard to screen response.
Another screen response problem I've seen is where the device has not been used for an exceptional length of time, and the screen seems to cease responding to anything but a solid poke. It could also be that the screen has lost calibration. Poke around in various spots, not just the recommended one for the Ts and Cs to see if you can get a response.

Many thanks for your prompt reply and advice. I have uploaded the error message I receive every time I've tried to connect with the TomTom server. I am using the latest version of Home. As for the LCD not responding, I have tried resetting it many times without success. It might need a new LCD screen.
Also when i tried to do a restore from a previous backup, it can't proceed because it doesn't recognize the SD memory chip.

Attachments

• tomtomerror.jpg
    tomtomerror.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 376
The "server refused connection" error usually happens when antivirus/firewall software on the computer or your network is preventing Home from accessing the TT server. It's a bit of a misnomer. It's not that the server is refusing connection, it's that Home can't hit the server. It can also happen if your network requires a proxy connection or is part of a closed network (e.g., business internal network).

If you know how to open a good old fashioned DOS command line window, type
TRACERT HOME.TOMTOM.COM
and see if you can get as far as TomTom in Amsterdam (on Level3.net) with the trace after a dozen hops or less.
Would be interested to see what your machine does with that. If that works, it's time to look at antivirus/firewall issues.

Your PC IS seeing the internal memory of the device, but is NOT seeing the SD card as a 2nd drive?

The culprit turned out to be my Tinywall (Tiny firewall). I should have clued in but I thought perhaps the TT server was refusing connection from older units. I managed to get an update but am still having an issue with a non-responsive screen which makes the unit useless. Do you recommend any replacement screens? There's quite a few offered on Ebay with various prices. Since no map updates are available for the 730, it might not be worth the effort. Thanks for all your assistance. Much appreciated.

As you suggest, there are a TON of 4.3" screens out there on eBay that would fit your 730. I haven't bought one from anyone in years. One of the reasons for price difference is that a few of them are just the digitizer. It's a complicated process to swap just that piece on the screen. Better to get the entire LCD/digitizer assembly.

That said, your original premise is correct. The 730 is technically obsolete, though the reasoning behind this is a little shaky. The 730 as it sits (sans SD card) simply won't hold a decent sized map now that TomTom has added so much new geometry to the North American map. Rather than messing about with 'regions', or rather than taking into account that a user might have a memory card that would help, they have abandoned just about everything that doesn't have more than 2GB of internal memory. New devices are 8GB and even those are just barely squeaking by with the maps that TomTom can generate now.

So I wouldn't depend upon your 730 as a daily device -- just something to get you by until you can sort out what to get next.

What happened to your 1005, by the way?

So I wouldn't depend upon your 730 as a daily device -- just something to get you by until you can sort out what to get next.

What happened to your 1005, by the way?[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if it was a 1005 but that was model listed on my TT Mydrive software. The bill of sale said model 2535 but I never could figure out GPS manufacturers' penchant for multiple, confusing models.
My 2535 with traffic and lifetime maps worked very well. Unfortunately there was no SD slot so I was limited to partial maps. That was okay until black and white code started to appear when booted more often than not. I thought a replacement battery would do the trick but during the install a critical ribbon cable was ripped rendering the screen unresponsive. I ordered a digitized screen from Alibaba and managed to install it successfully. TT worked for awhile longer but then refused to turn on. The light shows it is on and receiving power, but pressing on the on/off button does nothing. Considering the age of this model and TT's end of Lifetime Maps, it is probably not worth an expensive repair.

Ah - the black and white screen would very likely indicate that all you had was a stuck power button! That's the screen you get if you hold the button down past the normal time (about 20 seconds usually causes it). Wish we had heard from you sooner. I wonder if you don't still have some kind of power button issue going on there.

Yes, at this point, anything with less than 8GB and an external card slot (where you'll quickly want to install a 16GB uSD card) is a losing proposition. The level of detail in the maps has just gotten too big for smaller devices.

Yes, at this point, anything with less than 8GB and an external card slot (where you'll quickly want to install a 16GB uSD card) is a losing proposition. The level of detail in the maps has just gotten too big for smaller devices.[/QUOTE]

Tomtoms are not as popular as they once were in Canada. Garmin appears to have captured the market. Whether it was a combination of questionable TT quality, poor customer service, cell phones for GPS, or cars coming equipped with GPS units installed, not many major retailers sell Tomtoms. My cousin in FL picked me a new-in-box TT Tomtom Via 1505TM GPS - 5” LCD on some US buy and sell site. I don't know much about this model except it is new and has Lifetime Maps. I'll pick it up next month. We often preferred the TT's interface, features and routing than Garmin's.

You mentioned that that TT 2535 may have a power button issue. Is there an easy fix or a hack or are parts involved? The power button illuminates but pressure and repeated pressing on the on/off button does nothing. Thanks in advance.

Your initial failure mode was likely that it was stuck down. Now, with what sounds like the reverse problem, hard to say. You know how to disassemble it since you replaced the screen. If it's the power button, you should be able to do a visual check without the additional plastic in the way. See if you can press it directly. Careful with the disassembly!

As you suggest, there are a TON of 4.3" screens out there on eBay that would fit your 730. I haven't bought one from anyone in years. One of the reasons for price difference is that a few of them are just the digitizer. It's a complicated process to swap just that piece on the screen. Better to get the entire LCD/digitizer assembly.

I did buy a screen with a digitizer for the TT 730. Unfortunately when removing the old screen, the clips that release the screen's cable may have got damaged. There's nothing to keep to keep the new screen's cable in place. I have the grey clip but the two tiny flanges on the cable's slot that lock it in place fell off. I have tried inserting the screen cable and securing it with Gorilla tape but it there's no image. Is pressure needed in the slot to make contact? Any suggestions will be most appreciated. I thought this was going to a relatively easy fix - but it wasn't.

You lifted the latch too high, breaking it. I only takes a few degrees of motion to release the flex cable. More than that and the latch breaks. FWIW, see warning here, although it's a bit too late >> https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/720-730-920-930-battery-replacement-tutorial.14261/ (you'll find the warning in Step 3).

Yes, the broken clip is what keeps pressure on the cable to keep it in electrical contact with the connector. There is an OUTSIDE chance that one could do something permanent with glue and weight on the old latch, but I wouldn't put much hope in that. Further, this is a tough surface mount part to replace, even if you could find the part.

You lifted the latch too high, breaking it. I only takes a few degrees of motion to release the flex cable. More than that and the latch breaks. FWIW, see warning here, although it's a bit too late >> https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/720-730-920-930-battery-replacement-tutorial.14261/ (you'll find the warning in Step 3).

Yes, the broken clip is what keeps pressure on the cable to keep it in electrical contact with the connector. There is an OUTSIDE chance that one could do something permanent with glue and weight on the old latch, but I wouldn't put much hope in that. Further, this is a tough surface mount part to replace, even if you could find the part.

Many thanks for your reply. Those self-help videos on YouTube were misleading as it made the screen replacement it look like a snap. One video showed an old screen cable easily removed and the new one inserted, with no clips involved. I have inserted and wiggled that cable every which way but still no image. I assume the cable has to come in contact with both sides of the connector. It appears I may have that expensive paperweight after all. The TT 730 was a very good unit and saved my bacon when I was totally lost in a Buffalo NY snowstorm many years ago.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Many thanks for your reply. Those self-help videos on YouTube were misleading as it made the screen replacement it look like a snap. One video showed an old screen cable easily removed and the new one inserted, with no clips involved. I have inserted and wiggled that cable every which way but still no image. I assume the cable has to come in contact with both sides of the connector. It appears I may have that expensive paperweight after all. The TT 730 was a very good unit and saved my bacon when I was totally lost in a Buffalo NY snowstorm many years ago.

Quite amazing. I managed to insert the grey clip to secure the screen cable and TT fired up. The bad news is - the new screen is as unresponsive as the one I replaced. It doesn't matter where I tap on the screen, it will not move beyond the I agree box. I'm stumped.

Ask a Question