TomTom Go 730 unuseable with no map found error during first registration

I purchased a TOMTOM GO 730 this week from a high street store, UK. I used it for a few days with the factory settings and map without any problem. When I was satisfied that the unit is for me I then went to register this to TomTom site on the internet.

I loaded TOMTOM HOME version 2.6 following the instructions in the user guide. Following the registration it immediately downloaded and tried to load the latest European Maps. The download completed after 1.5 hours but the install of the map failed with the following error:
-------------------------------------------
ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/NoValidItem: Item was not valid after installation: Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(657)

in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:657
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:84
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1032
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:15:49 GMT
-------------------------------------------

This left the TOMTOM 730 with no map installed and no longer useable. On switching it on it gives the message "No map found" and nothing further can be done.

I tried to re-install the downloaded map via TOMTOM HOME but got the same error. Can anyone come back with a solution to this problem as soon as possible? (I am thinking to take the unit back to teh store for exchange)

Thanks and hoping a solution from the support team and experts.

Did you make a full backup before you let the Home software ruin your device? its not your fault the device isn't working, if you have a backup we can get you up and running again, if you don't have a backup I guess you should take it back to the store for a replacement as its defective.

When you get a new one make a full backup using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do any else with the device at all - Mike

A couple of things to check:
1. Do you have dot net framework installed on your computer. you can check by going to Add/Remove programs and see if it is listed (this is for a pc). If not, get it here . Install and try running Home again.

2. Do you have your download folders pointing to something other than c:\? Check in Home: Tools--?Preferences, Folder Preferences. For some reason, Home sometimes blows up if you've deviated from the default path. Further, if you're running Vista, the path Vista uses by default will not match what Home shows. That can cause issues.

No I did not backup as no opportunity was given to do during totomtom home registration.

dhn: The download drive is in C:. Which dot net framework version is required?

I think 2.2 or higher of dot net framework.

I would also consider uninstalling Home and grabbing it again from TomTom's site and try re-installing.

I have downloaded dot net framework 3.5 and in-installed tomtom home. But there is no map. How/where from do I get the European map and install? Since during fiist time registation it asked me for download but not this time.

Further to that I tried to install previously downloaded map using Tomtom Home's 'Items on My Computer' option. But unfortunately same error as reported on my first post appears. The satnav still shows 'No map found' and does not budge in furhter that is nothing more can be done.

By the way when I try to open downloaded file Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip file with winZip it failes to open with "It does not appear to be a valid archive" message. I am not so sure it is somthing to do with this?

It may......

Perhaps the file is corrupt? Did you try to dl it via a wireless connection? If so, try to dl using a computer directly connected to the modem/router. See if the new download is any better.

My PC is directly connecetd to modem/router with an ethernet cable. The first download was free. But now it does not give me an option to download it again - unless I pay more.

It might be quicker and more convenient to simply return it as defective and get another. Oftentimes these things can eventually be fixed given the time and patience. To me, not worth it for a brand-new device. Get a replacement 730 from the vendor.

By the way I did go to vendor this morning and they said that since this is a software problem I will have to contact TomTom Go support who will be able to help. But the support line does not open until Monday morning. I will give a call to them tomorrow.

In the meantime I managed to open the map file using WinRAR to repair. It appear that cname.dat file is corrupt. The WinRAR test shows the following error message:

! \Desktop\rebuilt.Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip: CRC failed in cname.dat. The file is corrupt

I wonder if it is posible to download this file from somewhere?

My PC is directly connecetd to modem/router with an ethernet cable. The first download was free. But now it does not give me an option to download it again - unless I pay more.

If you remove the downloaded zip file from the folder (move it completely to someplace else) and try Home again to see if it is offered.

Nothing , it does not offer anything.

I had also posted an email to tomtom support last night but looks like they neither do have 24/7 support nor an automated system to acknowledge the receipt of the issue.

Which UK store did you purchase this unit from?

I would go back and demand to see the manager, under the UK sales of goods act they are responsible to sort this issue out, you should not be messing around trying to fix an issue that isn't your fault, the words "this device is unfit for the intended purpose" tends to get their attention, after that mention traiding standards, but don't make an idle threat carry out the action to actually contact them (by mobile phone in store generally works very well, so get the number stored in the phone BEFORE you go to the shop) - the important part is to remain very calm and collected while doing this, don't let the store staff rile you in any way.
The retailer should replace the device if you have purchased it within the last few days, having to deal with TomTom support is not required - demand a new device or a full refund and source a replacement device from a different retailer - Mike

I agree with MikeAdler, a return may be your easiest step.

A couple of quick things to try:
1) In HOME, go to "update my go", and see if a newer application is available. If so download it and see if the map works.

2) if the above doesn't fix it, go to "more/remove items". Click the "items on device" tab, and delete everything under maps. Then go to "add maps" in home and try to download the map again.

MikeAlder: The store was Halfords in Aberdeen for you guys to take note of. Thanks for the info and support provided.

Good news is that after a long haul in my study with the satnav and internet, I managed to fix it by 9pm last night. Read on:

Last night I tried again trodding through all nooks and cranies of the TomTom Home menu options. 'Update my go ' showed there was nothing to update. So no use. But hiden within one of the toolbars on the top of the page showed that I map was waiting for me to download. I then downloaded (took 1hr 40min) and update the map (for 20 mins) without problem. The device is working ok now. I can see all that it can do.

Since then having learnt the lesson I have made several backups - (I would have done that as a routine but unfortunately the software did not give me opportunity when I was registering for the first time).

Careful examination showed that the first downloded map size was approx 1Gb and corrupt. The kosher European map size is roughly 1.8Gb.

I do not know if the tomtom support has responded to my issue sent on 25 April - as I am at work just now. But will post it here so that you are aware of their quality of support. (Not to have 24/7 email support was very annoying though).

Glad to hear things are ok and that you've made Explorer (right?) backups....

Yeah, as I said in my post of yesterday, suspected it was a wonky dl of the map file.

Ask a Question