TomTom Announces new 930, 730 and 530 at CeBit

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

IQ routing is just what the doctor ordered. This real world information is so valuable. I have wondered when they where going to put it to use. I can not wait for these devices to come to market.

Any chance the 920 would get a software update to enable these features? I'm still in my 30 day window on my 920T purchase, so I'm wondering now if I should return it and wait for the new 930 to drop next month.

Any chance the 920 would get a software update to enable these features? I'm still in my 30 day window on my 920T purchase, so I'm wondering now if I should return it and wait for the new 930 to drop next month.
My guess would be you would have to return your 920...

I could see the IQ routing feature added to older units with a software update. The real world average speed information could be contained in a file similar to how you download a gps quickfix.

Let's hope that we'll see a SW update at least for the 920's since they seem to be the same hardware. That would make TT look like they care for their customers which is good for business.

Still looks like they're using the same ugly mounting system. Can't wait to get this thing to see if it powers on w/ the car's ignition.

That IQ routing looks interesting. I'd like to see it compared to the Nuvi 880's routing engine.

Let's hope that we'll see a SW update at least for the 920's since they seem to be the same hardware. That would make TT look like they care for their customers which is good for business.

In their press release Tomtom states:

"The TomTom GO 930, TomTom GO 730 and TomTom GO 530 will replace the current TomTom GO range."

This sounds like the 920,720 etc will be discontinued. That being the case we can hope that the software will filter down. As you say, the recent owners of 720's and especially 920's have bought so recently that they are unlikely to upgrade in any case. It would make sense to make the new features available if that can be done. The only problem is, if these capabilities are tied to specific maps as is the case with mapshare, one would have to buy the latest map to get these features. If I was the owner of a Go920 I would be unlikely to buy a 930 but I probably would spring for a new map. As I need the unit for travel to Europe, my past experience tells me that the Lane Guidance alone would make a justifiable expense.

So should I cancel my 720 order?

Just my luck.

I ordered a 720 today.

Does this announcement justify my canceling and waiting for the new 730?

I don't see why these new features would not be available for current x20 models.

The new x30 have the exact same hardware.

Last edited:
Only reason I can think of for them not to add these features in an update:

They want people to buy the new units. More $ for them.

The lane separation stuff is static from what I can understand. I guess it is similar to the map overlay but just for lanes.

As for IQ routing, I'm more than a little sceptic as to its implementation coverage. They have a hard time with MapShare integration and getting Home and their servers working right. I've been told the new 7.15 maps don't have any previous MapShare corrections over 7.10 to the point where some consider the 7.15 a downgrade from 7.10. While some large cities may have IQ routing data, such as London, England, I'd bet a lot of cities won't have any or too little to make much difference. Maybe in a year or two it will become interesting but seriously doubt it is interesting for the majority of us at the present moment and for quite a while.

I see this as more marketing hype than something well tested and implemented with known coverage. When I think the recent Montreal map has missing major highway entrance ramps, that have been there for over 40 years, I get to doubt the IQ routing would be something I would depend on. IOW, marketing is trying to lure customers to buy Tomtom but those customers will be disappointed in their expectations the same as for MapShare.:(

Just look at the way it is presented and explained here: http://www.tomtom.com/page/iq-routes and you will be convinced this is pure marketing b..ls..t!

Last edited:
The lane separation stuff is static from what I can understand. I guess it is similar to the map overlay but just for lanes.!
Yes, it is static.

Just look at the way it is presented and explained here: http://www.tomtom.com/page/iq-routes and you will be convinced this is pure marketing b..ls..t!
Have you tried it since you are so sure? I have tried it for a long time, and the routing and ETA is without any doubt better than on previous versions (at least where I live). If you have experienced something else, I would like to hear that.

Ask a Question