TomTom announces application for Android phones

Can't wait

Sweet! I think this will be excellent since I have a Galaxy Note phone with a 5.3inch screen and (if I can find a way of mounting it) a Galaxy Note 10.1. Glad TomTom have finally written this for Android since they have most of the market share of operating systems out there today.

The release is today. The apps is available on google play (beware of a fake not from Tomtom). TT says an announcement is forthcoming.

I installed this on my HTC Incredible 2 yesterday. Easy download and install. It works fine. Text is very small on my 4 inch screen.

Ditto on the "very small" text. The only people who will be replacing their standard nav units with a 4" phone are either wearing bifocals or too young to know what they are. Then again, I'm playing the app on a 720x1280 pix Galaxy Nexus, so perhaps the fonts will get bigger when the app is updated to properly manage the higher res screen sizes of the Nexus and Siii ... but for now, I'd rather read a fine print phone book. Good thing that the audio seems to be working pretty well, or I'd be unable to use it!

Ditto on the "very small" text. The only people who will be replacing their standard nav units with a 4" phone are either wearing bifocals or too young to know what they are. Then again, I'm playing the app on a 720x1280 pix Galaxy Nexus, so perhaps the fonts will get bigger when the app is updated to properly manage the higher res screen sizes of the Nexus and Siii ... but for now, I'd rather read a fine print phone book. Good thing that the audio seems to be working pretty well, or I'd be unable to use it!
Bifocals are not a panacea. The only convenient place to mount the GPS in my car is too far away for the reading lenses, and too close for the distance lenses.

When using the TomTom Android app with my HTC Droid Incredible 2, I depend upon the audio most of the time because of the vision issue. However, that issue goes away when using the TomTom Android app on my Nexus 7 tablet.

Unfortunately, the Nexus 7 doesn't have an internal cellphone, so I can't get HD Traffic on it - unless I can get a fully functional tether of the tablet to my phone, which has eluded me so far.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Unfortunately, the Nexus 7 doesn't have an internal cellphone, so I can't get HD Traffic on it - unless I can get a fully functional tether of the tablet to my phone, which has eluded me so far.

Carriers are much better at restricting / charging for tether these days.

That's why I chose T-mobile, they have the cheapest hotspot/tether rates I've seen so far. Indoor coverage stinks in my area, but they also have free wifi-based calling so indoor coverage doesn't matter any longer.

Ask a Question