TomTom Announces Enhanced Maps

The part I can't figure out is this:
"Debut of Pedestrian Maps for Berlin, London, New York, San Francisco, and Toronto featuring pedestrian-specific geometry, such as footpaths, garden paths and forms of way that are not accessible by car."

Given the relatively short battery life and size of the standalone units, they don't make very practical devices for walking routes. Even cell phones don't last too long when used in this mode for extended periods (thinking about their iOS and Android offerings). I wonder what the impetus was? For that kind of use, a purpose built handheld is far more practical, though OSM is about the only mapping solution, and isn't quite as complete.

That struck me as well. I just can't see the use because of the battery. And I wonder how (and who) tested in Toronto.

Nav4 already allows for so many route types ...

Fastest
Shortest
Most eco-friendly
Avoid interstates
Walking
Bicycle

The bicycle route is the same sort of problem, I would think, and add to that the size of these units (and where's the bike mount??) For pedestrian or biking, a small 'handheld' Garmin unit (good bike mounts are available) with OSM maps makes a lot more sense from an ergonomics perspective. I'm surprised that TomTom is spending time building maps for these larger units that include map data that cannot be followed by a vehicle. Perhaps it makes more sense on their iOS/Android products, but why waste the space for automotive maps?

This announcement is for their basemap (formerly Teleatlas division). They make it to pnds about 9 months later, so if this data makes it into PNDs it is likely debuting in map 960.

Most likely this is for non pnd customers, eg smartphone/smartwatch solutions. It would be nice for a phone/watch to pick up an automatic ofline download of a 5mile radius map every time you stop your engine to guide in local walking.

Ask a Question