Tomtom 750 Map Update Requires Activation

TomTom Model(s)
750 Go Live
Hi All,
Just over 24 hours after opening my nice new shiny 750 live, it is now not working. I plugged it into my mac this morning and a new updated map was offered. I downloaded this and installed, and now I need an activation code for the map? I have tried reverting back to the old map (stored on my computer) but this also now says that it needs activating. Before anyone asks about a backup, it is the first thing I tried to do and was told that my 'device did not support this feature'. I re-connected the tomtom several times to make sure it wasn't an error but I kept getting this message. Now, rather annoyingly, I can backup my tomtom.... in its non working state.

I have to wait until Monday (if tomtom actually are going to open on a bank holiday?!?) to get any sort of support. Has anyone got any suggestions/ideas of how to get my expensive new toy working again?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Ollie

TomToms no longer require an Activation code for the map. The activation process should occur when the map is installed on the unit.

Try downloading and running the ClearFlash tool from here. Run it 3 times and see if that helps.

Tried the clear flash and that didn't work. I appreciate everyone saying that tomtom doesn't require activation codes, but I'm afraid that is the error I am getting. Following the update, and now rollback to what should be the original map, I need to enter an 11 digit promo code for the map to work....

On the computer can you locate the downloads folder it uses, have a look in MyDocuments/ TomTom/ Downloads (on a Mac it might be a little different) - when you have found the downloads folder open it and look at the files associated with the map, how many files are present and what are they called.

You can give TT CS a ring using 0845 161 0009 if you are UK based? - Mike

There are no files associated with the map. There is nothing in the map folder. I had to delete the 'update' maps as they wouldn't actually fit onto the tomtom (really impressed that the latest map guarantee won't actually fit). I can't ring tomtom for another 2-3 days as it is xmas, weekend then a bank holiday (public holiday) here in the UK. I just can't believe how a brand new unit is saying it is not activated and needs a promo code. It worked fine until this morning. I have tried allsorts now to get it to just boot the map.

Any other thoughts?

I want you to look for the map files on your computer NOT the TomTom as Home downloads and stores the files on your computer BEFORE trying to copy anything to the device, if you can find these files and they are intact we can try a manual map install negating the use of Home - Mike

I am talking about the files on my computer, not the device. There are no map files in the download file. The only map files now on my computer are in a zip file in Documents/TomTom/HOME/FromDevice/

Thanks for your responses so far Mike

Just as a side, and in addition to just contacting tomtom, If I bought the UK & europe maps through home (as a new purchase) would they install as a separate map, thus allowing my tomtom to work?

I have been looking at various forums on the matter (and getting more and more depressed) and the main fix seems to be to buy the maps with a new license. I don't see why I should, seeings as my TT is only 2 days old but I need to start using is pretty soon so don't want the hassle of waiting a couple of weeks/months for TT to get their act together.

How has your experience been with TT support? (if you have used it at all). Below is a bit more info on my map & system.

This is the map I have currently installed:
ID=Europe_2GB.pna
build=2566
id=404914

and it keeps saying that my TT cannot use this map is it needs activating (with a promo code)

Thanks again for help so far. Not exactly how I envisaged spending boxing day!

Cheers
Ollie

Gibe them a ring once they open post Christmas and they should resolve this issue within an hour or so, have a look at the files in your map folder and can you see one with a double file extension ".meta.dct" if this is missing the activation code has gone AWOL and its easy for them to fix.

Please don't bother purchasing a new map as the v840 map is rghfully yours for free as part of the new device purchase, give em a chance to resolve the issue as I am sure it will get sorted in a day or two - Mike

MIke,
That .meta.dct file is missing from the map folder. I am running a file recovery program on the tomtom internal drive to see if it is recoverable as it was probably deleted in the update. I will post any result of my search. Thanks for your confidence boost in TT support getting my issue resolved. I will ring them and see what I can get out of them. Seems that people only post their bad experiences so that's all you see!

Many Thanks again. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Ollie

Hi ive got the same problem with my 750 i bought this morning, it came up offering me the free update so i clicked ok and now i need to activate it :mad:
Ive managed to locate the meta.dct file its in a .cab archive that winrar can extract.
what do i need to do to activate my map?

any help will be much appreciated.

Extract that .dct file to the specific map folder on your unit and restart your unit.

Adihol,
Where did you find the cab file? I am presuming that you backed yours up first or did yours come up saying that your device didn't support this feature?

Ollie

The updated map is initially stored on your computer. The path in a Windows computer is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map\

For example, the contents of my North_America_2GB cab file are as follows:
NAcab.jpg

Notice the highlighted file? That's the meta.dct file that should be extracted and copied to the map folder on the unit.

New map transfer issues

I purchased the latest TomTom NA map to take advantage of their map sale. My computer downloaded the map ok. The trouble came when I attempted to transfer the file onto my TomTom 730. I received an error message during a CS_speech file and the process halted. Up to now I have not needed an SD memory card in my unit. I assumed the new map would overwrite the old one. I removed one computer voice and some vehicles to free up some space for the new map, but I still received the same error message and the process again halted. I risked removing the old NA map to make more space but that didn?t help. As a temporary fix, I borrowed and inserted an SD stick from my digital camera, tried the transfer again and it worked. My problem now was to replace the SD stick and put it back in my camera. I did a backup using TomTom Home. I removed the memory stick containing the map and replaced it with an empty SD stick hoping to do a restore. Again I received an error message and process halted. My only workaround was to transfer the map on the camera's SD stick containing the map to the blank SD stick using the computer only, bypassing TomTom Home software.
I am wondering why the new map did not overwrite the original map during the original computer to TomTom transfer. It appears there was enough space on the internal unit to store the map, yet it asked for the memory stick. I am wondering if it is possible to transfer the map from the internal SD stick to the TomTom drive without violating some activation/password codes. This was a very frustrating and time consuming process. Thanks in advance.

It should overwrite but sometimes Home doesn't cooperate very well. Also, there is a bug in the latest Home application that, even though you may select internal, it tries to write data to a card or both and vice versa.

My suggestion is to get a good reliable 4-gig sdhc card, the faster the class the better. Install the map on it. That way there is plenty of room for more stuff on both the card and internal, like mp3s, etc.

That's how I run my North_America_2gb map, on a 4-gig sdhc card. It does make life much easier.

You can copy the map folder from your existing sd card to the 4-gig card.

The updated map is initially stored on your computer. The path in a Windows computer is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map\

Notice the highlighted file? That's the meta.dct file that should be extracted and copied to the map folder on the unit.

I don't have a downloaded map in this folder. It is the original map that came with my TT that is not registering. As I was unable to backup my TT, I saved the map to my PC before updating (through the copy to computer in 'manage my device') and it is this map that I have reloaded that now won't register. I have the .zip and .toc files but there is not a .cab file anywhere. I hope TT is answering the phones tomorrow and can sort this. I am getting a bit worried that my nice new TT is going to be useless.

I have soft reset the device several times. From the conversation above, it seems like the license file has gone missing when I updated to the new map version and won't be restored by just resetting. I just don't get how I cannot download the map my tomtom was shipped with and revert back to that.

Ask a Question