TomTom 750 and 950

sbr

Hi

I'm considering one of these units and have a few questions before I buy one.

1 - What is the difference between the 750 and the 950?

2 - Can these be set at an average speed (e.g 50 MPH) like the old TomToms? The reason I ask is I drive a truck and the new ones can't be set at an average speed.

3 - I have low bridge warnings in ov2 format from my old TomTom - will these still work on the new TomToms?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 950 includes North American maps in addition to Europe (and the additional 2GB of memory required to make that happen), and a crude but sometimes effective inertial navigation system that tracks your position when in tunnels or otherwise out of GPS view.

2 - I don't recall ever seeing a TomTom unit 'average' your speed - I'm guessing so that you know if you're OK on those stretches of road where they like to check your average for purposes of 'revenue generation'? Both are capable of warning if you're over-speed, though.

3 - You can take your old *.ov2 files and load them onto any of the old or new platform TomTom units.

Hi, thanks for the response.

The average speed thing - it's not really to do with speed cameras, it's more to do with the estimated time of arrival the old ones gave you when you set your average speed manually at say 50 MPH. This is quite important to me in my particular job.

I've tried the actual truck version and even that doesn't do it properly. The new models estimate the speed automatically, which is great if I'm in a car but not so much in the truck.

Thanks again. :)

I don't recall that a TomTom ever allowed you to input your average speed, either. All of the current units will assume you are operating at whatever the average road speed is for all traffic at a given day of week and time of day when estimating your ETA. If they used to support that feature, I can understand why it might be helpful under certain circumstances where your vehicle must operate at limited speed. However, unless you stay on a motorway where you know you can achieve your average, I don't know how the unit would predict your ETA anyway. If you look at miles (e.g., 10 miles to the destination), it's an easy mental calculation to see it would be 5 minutes at 50mph, but again, that assumes you can actually go 50mph all the way to your destination, even on average.

What model did you have the allowed for the input of an average (not maximum) speed?

Check the setting on your 720, canderson. Wonder whether the planning preference for not selecting a road above a speed limnit of X mph is what is meant.

Yes, that's what my last sentence was about: "...allowed for the input of an average (not maximum) speed? "

it was possible to limit the MAXIMUM road speed, but I never saw one that would allow you to suggest an AVERAGE speed to the device such that it would project an ETA based upon that, and that's what the OP is asking about. I just don't remember ever seeing that.

Another small difference, the 950 has EPT (simulated GPS reception while in tunnels) but the 750 doesn't.

The 950 certainly has an option in "Planning preferences" for "Always plan for limited speed, where you can set a maximum speed.
I believe that adding a speed maximum there will affect the time calculations.

Another small difference, the 950 has EPT (simulated GPS reception while in tunnels) but the 750 doesn't.

You mean this feature in particular :rolleyes:?

..and a crude but sometimes effective inertial navigation system that tracks your position when in tunnels or otherwise out of GPS view.

The 950 certainly has an option in "Planning preferences" for "Always plan for limited speed, where you can set a maximum speed.
I believe that adding a speed maximum there will affect the time calculations.
Yes, it does definitely impact the projected ETA. I am wondering if it isn't that "max speed" feature that the OP is recalling vs. some sort of "average speed" feature?

You mean this feature in particular :rolleyes:?

oops7yt.gif

Ask a Question