How i solved the map update problem on my tomtom 750

Well just bought a tomtom live 750 with 2 gb internal memory from pc world , ( not a bad price , on offer for ? 179.00)
stright home , downloaded tomtom home and conncet , wolla ! new map update for all europe, turkey russia etc.... and then bang ! there is not enought space on the device , for me as a computer engineer is was easy to see well , there is not enought space since the new map is bigger tha all the internal memory my tomtom has.
went on ebuyer and bought a micro sd 4 gb for ? 6.00 only ( with adapter :) )
next thig was to try to do the same thing and choosing the 4 gb as my device in the option , no luck !!! still saying the same thing, after lots of googleing and putting facts toghther i found a working solution ,all we need to do is to transfer the tomtom files into sd card and delete them from internal memory , because : a- tomtom will apply updates only at the same place the old map is and b- if map and file exist on both internal and external memory tomtom will choose internal one even if you tell to tom tom to choose sd.

So follow this and you will be fine :

1- buy a 4 gb micro sd memory and insert it into your tomtom

2- backup your tomtom ( in case anything goes wrong you can put it back like when you bought it first.

3-after backup go to my computer and compy all files and folders from your internal tomtom memory into tom tom sd card ( just select all, copy and paste)

4-go to tomtom home and manage device and remove all items from tomtom internalk meomory ( or simply goto tomtom drive in my computer and select all and delete all files and folders from internal memory {make sure the one which says tomtom not the new memory card you just inserted} )

5- in tomtom choose the device as you external sd card and then disconnect the tomtom ( with tomtom home )

6- you tomtom will work at this stage and as you know every thing is only on external sd card ( you jus deleted all files from internal memory !!! ) , so now connect the tomtom back to pc and choose the device as sd card , follow the updates now , you will no longer receive the memory error , ( please note that in the list of memories sd card standing above the internal one now as the active memory )

7- your all good after finishing the update disconnect the device it should be fine .

note : if you manage to mess thing up , you can always go back to backup and restore in tomtom home and restore the tomtom to original factory condition.:D

Welcome to TTF, Rama.

Silly that the users have to go through hoops to get the full European map but glad you discovered the method that will work.

Ask a Question