TomTom 750 freezes on "address page"

TomTom Model(s)
750 Live
I have had several instances where my TomTom freezes just after start up on the address page. It is still working in the background as the voice will still talk to me, but I can not do anything else with it. The only resolution is to attach it to my computer and do an update, but that isnt always possible. I was stranded in Belgium on a drive to Northern Italy and had to go and buy a map :rant:

Does anyone have a resolution to this?

Thanks

Did you try a drum reset by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Do an Explorer, not Home, backup. See here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Then use Explorer to remove the mapsettings.cfg file from the specific map folder. You'll lose your favourites, recent destinations, home location but sometimes this file gets corrupt and causes the symptoms you are reporting.

Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the USB Hardware icon in the notification area (bottom right) on the computer. Restart the unit and see if things are better.

Plan B:

You have the Explorer backup, correct?

If so, format the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Then restore the backup.

Connect the unit to the computer. If Windows operating system, then click on 'My Computer' on the desktop and highlight the drive representing your drive. Right click and one menu option should be 'format'.

Don't use quickformat (you want fat32 if an option) and ensure you have the Explorer backup first!

That's the home application. Not what app is on your unit. If you tap the bottom right of your status bar, the little box should show the app version. Think 9.45 is the latest.

Well, the only other suggestion I can make is this......

AFTER the Explorer backup and format of the unit ..............

Go to TT HOME, Manage my "DEVICE", delete everything from the unit and try the update again (in the new TomTom HOME app it is on the second page). At this point you might have to disconnect the device a few times and switch it ON/OFF to enable it to setup some important stuff.

Then copy back the voices folder, the map folder from your backup

So far this seems to be working, but problem is that now my tomtom will not accept postcodes only addresses which isnt ideal. How can I get this function back?

You may have lost the requisite files.

Have a look for a folder called simply "zip" in the root of your device. In that folder, you should find files called Great_Britain.postal, Great_Britain.tlv, and Great_BritainPostal.ver. If those are not present, we'll need to get these downloaded for you based upon your current map version. If they are present, then we have a bit more work to do.

Ask a Question