Tomtom 750 Map Update Requires Activation

Grand. Thought as much. It now shows a red cross and indicates that I need to remove a micro sd card from the slot... I don't even own one of these cards. Think I have a twitch unit.

Cheers all. I'll let you know how far I get with TTS tomorrow morning

The problem is that Tomtom activated some sophisticated user-anonymous-data-sourced road additions in recent maps. This greatly grew the map sizes with all the newly added roads. And now many of the maps don't fit in the devices they were intended for. Further, Tomtom HOME gets all confused with insufficient space, and reports all sorts of incorrect errors that don't say "insufficient space"

So now onto solving the problem.

adiholl - the North_America_2GB map still fits if you clean up the internal Tomtom memory. First do this backup, then format the internal Tomtom memory. Then have Home install the latest application 8.351 (you may need update the application a few times). Don't install anything else like voices yet. Once you have the latest application, go to add traffic/voices -> items on my computer. And add in your latest map. Once added, go and add you desired computer voice and all the other updates you want. You probably can only fit one computer voice. And to answer your other question - maps are serial-number locked, you can put them on any SD, internal, etc, as they'll only work on the Tomtom serial number they were purchased for.

stumpy87, map activation codes are automatically installed via Tomtom HOME, you no longer need to enter them manually like you had to years ago. One of the occasional symptoms of running out of space is that HOME sometimes errors before it can install the activation code. The resolution steps are here, although if you have no map you may need to call Tomtom support to get a map reactivated for you. It's a bit more complicated as the Europe map is really big and there's no room to spare, but it's a common request that they'll have a ready answer for. Judging from the posts in this forum - expect long hold times.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's added roads causing the map bloat, or could it be IQR2 data? I noticed Navteq had to develop a better/more compact way to integrate TrafficPatterns with map updates. As it was, it was pretty tough to include that data and stay under 2GB. With the problem now solved it's being rolled out for a lot more devices. It could well be that TeleAtlas/TomTom is discovering the same problem.

Teleatlas says here that IQR data can be added with 2% increase to map size, so I didn't think it was the primary culprit. They refer to some patent-pending compression methodology that may have given them the edge over Navteq Traffic Patterns.

Also, even the non-IQroutes devices like the XL330S are experiencing map size issues.

I updated my earlier response to stumpy as I found TT support's 750 map-size response script.

I have had exactly the same problem with my Tomtom GO750. When I spoke to the support helpline they advised me that the device is shipped with about 17 languages so there is not enough space to allow the downloading of the new maps. They took me into the software of the Tomtom and deleted a lot of the languages that I did not need and then I went into the procedure to download the latest map guarantee and it then worked fine. From memory I think I went into Computer, double clicked the Tomtom icon, went into GB 2 and then deleted the languages that I did not need.

Hope this helps.

Now spoken to TT support. My problem with the map not coming pre-authourized was possibly due to my high end firewall/anti-virus software running on my mac (you know... just in case!). However, we didn't get to test the theory as my device would only show a red cross on the screen. After speaking to 3 different people and going through increasingly advanced procedures for reinstalling the software, the last support guy walked me through final reinstallation procedure. This did not work. I now have an email in my inbox from tomtom, asking that the shop I got it from swaps it for a replacement device as it has a hardware fault.

Must say that there are some tomtom support horror stories out there and although I still don't have a working tomtom, was a pleasant experience!

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully will be on this forum next helping, rather than asking for help!

Cheers
Ollie

Let us know how you get on, at least it sounds like you are getting somewhere now they are back in work, make sure you fully backup the new device before doing anything at all to it - Mike

Now spoken to TT support. My problem with the map not coming pre-authourized was possibly due to my high end firewall/anti-virus software running on my mac (you know... just in case!).

You need to make an exception for activex blocking for at least the HOME application.

.cab files (Microsoft proprietary zip-like format) is primarily used to deliver activex files. Some firewalls blindly assume that all cab files are activex.

See if you can download this link. If not, it's probably your firewall. If you fix your firewall and get the link working, try HOME again as it probably can revive your Tomtom without a trip to the store.

You need to make an exception for activex blocking for at least the HOME application.

.cab files (Microsoft proprietary zip-like format) is primarily used to deliver activex files. Some firewalls blindly assume that all cab files are activex.

See if you can download this link. If not, it's probably your firewall. If you fix your firewall and get the link working, try HOME again as it probably can revive your Tomtom without a trip to the store.

I am going to take it back as I can't actually get the TT device software installed and get to the point of installing maps on it. That link was fine to download so I doubt it was my firewall too. I have probably spent an hour on the phone with someone walking through resetting the device and have come to nothing. I am going to get it swapped as I don't want to mess about with it anymore. If tomtom have authorised a replacement I am not going to pass that up.

Mike - First thing I will do is back the damn thing up!!!

Ta

It should overwrite but sometimes Home doesn't cooperate very well. Also, there is a bug in the latest Home application that, even though you may select internal, it tries to write data to a card or both and vice versa.

My suggestion is to get a good reliable 4-gig sdhc card, the faster the class the better. Install the map on it. That way there is plenty of room for more stuff on both the card and internal, like mp3s, etc.

Many thanks for your advice/help. I have had no luck at all downloading various colour schemes posted by members. My PC says they are downloaded but all I get is a file about 40 kb. When I try to open them, I get a zero zip file message (nothing there). I don't usually have trouble downloading. I'm stumped.

Well, individual colour scheme files will not be that large. What are you using to try to open the files? And, just to play safe, make sure you're using a direct connection, not a wireless connection for the download.

Color Scheme download problem

Thanks for your advice.

I am still having zero downloads. I have tried using/not using Free Download Manager and Download'em All (Firefox add-on). Everytime I get a useless zip file about 40 kb. Maybe a PC problem but I can d/l from other sites without a problem.

TomTom Go Live 750 with same update problem

Just to add that I have exactly te same update problem as has been described in this thread. Rather frustrating to say the least. The update map was automatically installed on my device, but according to the device requires activating. Of course - I have no activation code and at this point I am reluctant to 'hack' folder contents to make things work. I'll try Tomtom support today, if no luck, its going back.

Cheers
epgs1

Color Scheme zip files problem

Could it be a firewall or anti-virus issue on your pc, by any chance?

My NOD32 AV is updated daily. It maybe something quirky with XP on certain sites. The message I receive when I try to open the file is "The compressed (zipped folder) is invalid or corrupted." Even though some color scheme files are larger than 40 kb, that's all that is downloaded.

Have I Made a Mistake?

I am waiting for my 750 to come (ordered it a couple of days ago) reading this thread makes me wish I hadn't bothered :eek: I'm retired & have the time to mess about with these sort of things but to be honest I can't be bothered. If I am intending to update the maps I just want to plug it in & let it do it, I don't want to spend hours stuck on the end of a phone line trying to fix what must be a flawed design. Also why should I have to buy a memory card as the internal memory isn't enough :confused: memory is really cheap why didn't they put extra internal memory in the thing from the beginning, common sense says that maps will only get bigger as more roads are built.

Should I try to cancel before it's delivered as after I receive it I will have to pay for collection?

What tool are you using to try to open the zipped files? Have you tried WinRar?

Located the problem. Firefox was sending the zipped files to another directory. For some reason an empty zip file was also created in my downloads directory.

Update on the TomTom issue (First Post)

I have had a call from the supplier of the unit and a new one is enroute and should be delivered tomorrow (Friday).

Todo List for Friday Evening (REVISION B)

1. Boot TomTom and set first settings (language etc)
2. Plug TomTom into Mac
3. Backup internal Memory to Hard Drive and make a DVD copy of backup
4. Don't backup using TT Home (good suggestion dhn!)
5. DONT FIDDLE WITH IT ANY MORE!!!
6. Open a well deserved beer

kontiki, has your's arrived? I'd imagine that TT will probably sort the map sizing soon if you want it upgraded, however do backup first. If they don't sort it, a micro SD card isn't too expensive. I know its no excuse for TT supplying a unit with insufficient internal memory but it is an option.

Cheers all

Last edited:

Ask a Question