Tom Tom Home

Last edited:
They've just released TTHome 2.2.2.83. No issues to report, and no obvious changes either.
V2.2.2.83 solved one of my problems wherein TTHome kept eating up my available memory at an alarming rate (I have 2G of RAM). Using Windows Task Manager, I could see that xulrunner.exe normally took around 30Meg +/-. When I tried to update, memory usage would vary up to 800Meg! V2.2.2.83 eliminated this problem. The other problem, which was apparently not addressed by V2.2.2.83, is that xulrunner takes 95%+ of the CPU resources. This slows down or even locks-up a computer. This problem can be eased by right clicking on xulrunner.exe & setting the priority to BelowNormal. It will still eat up almost all of the CPU resources, but will allow other programs to run when needed. Both of these problems occur on my desktop, but not on my laptop. I think TTHome is asymptotically approaching bug free performance.

V2.2.2.83 solved one of my problems wherein TTHome kept eating up my available memory at an alarming rate (I have 2G of RAM). Using Windows Task Manager, I could see that xulrunner.exe normally took around 30Meg +/-. When I tried to update, memory usage would vary up to 800Meg! V2.2.2.83 eliminated this problem. The other problem, which was apparently not addressed by V2.2.2.83, is that xulrunner takes 95%+ of the CPU resources. This slows down or even locks-up a computer. This problem can be eased by right clicking on xulrunner.exe & setting the priority to BelowNormal. It will still eat up almost all of the CPU resources, but will allow other programs to run when needed. Both of these problems occur on my desktop, but not on my laptop. I think TTHome is asymptotically approaching bug free performance.
I guess that's why it took so friggin long just to do a simple update!!!

I guess that's why it took so friggin long just to do a simple update!!!
Other than CPU/memory gluttony, the other problem is that TT's servers are constantly overloaded; they must have very minimal capacity in relationship to their user base. I monitor send/received bits when I try to update and most of the time there is absolutely nothing happening, so I guess we are just kind-of standing in line waiting for our turn for their server to send us a very 'tiny' file (to us TT's vernacular). Hopefully, they will improve.

I think that .83 is the same if not worse that the previous version. I see what you mean about the CPU getting bogged down. The only way I can get it to work is to shut down all other programs, and then have task manager running on top of HOME. It still takes 10-15 minutes or so. Does setting the xlrunner to below normal change anything else? Do I have to constantly reset that, or is it ok to leave it at below normal?

I've read about some people having some trouble with the new version of 'Home'. Just today, Home offered me to upgrade to V2.2.2.83. I told it to "ask me again later" and passed on it for now.

Is this version safe for WinXP? I'm still on 2.1.2.121

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've read about some people having some trouble with the new version of 'Home'. Just today, Home offered me to upgrade to V2.2.2.83. I told it to "ask me again later" and passed on it for now.

Is this version safe for WinXP? I'm still on 2.1.2.121

Thanks.
My biggest complaint was that it runs painfully slow, but I have found that if you open the HOME program first, click, Update Device, then hook up your Tom Tom, and then minimize the window that HOME is running in, the update only takes a minute or two. It has worked for me twice that way so far...

My biggest complaint was that it runs painfully slow, but I have found that if you open the HOME program first, click, Update Device, then hook up your Tom Tom, and then minimize the window that HOME is running in, the update only takes a minute or two. It has worked for me twice that way so far...

I suspect that was more coincidence than functionality to make it appear that the updating goes faster when the window is minimized; having said that, I'd say to keep doin' what seems to work. Voodoo and Black Magic seem to be our only salvation when dealing with the software, sometimes! :D

I suspect that was more coincidence than functionality to make it appear that the updating goes faster when the window is minimized; having said that, I'd say to keep doin' what seems to work. Voodoo and Black Magic seem to be our only salvation when dealing with the software, sometimes! :D
I thought it was coincidence as well, but it has worked three times in a row, and I'm going to try it again today. Other people have told me that it worked for them also. The difference was literally 15-20 minutes as opposed to 2-3 minutes. Of course, it could have been that chant I was reciting at the time...:D

It worked again today for me. I minimized the window that HOME was running in, and it took 2 minutes.

It worked again today for me. I minimized the window that HOME was running in, and it took 2 minutes.

You realize the TRUE test of your chanting an incantation will come when you download a map and try to keep it to less than 4 hours!!;)

Ask a Question