Tom Tom Home

I posted this elsewhere on the forums as well. The Emulator on the Mac does in fact work, just not with the internal drive. When I have my SD card in, my emulator comes up, walks me though the setup (language, time, left hand/right hand etc) and then says "No Maps Found". This is because I don't have the map on my SD card. I suspect if I did have the maps there, it might work.

If I eject the SD card from the TT, the emulator crashes TTH.

My TomTom 3rd edition doesn't seem to have an SD card(?) Before using the emulator TTH asks to download a file. There is an error with this download on the Mac version (the BootCamp version downloads and works OK).

My TomTom 3rd edition doesn't seem to have an SD card(?) Before using the emulator TTH asks to download a file. There is an error with this download on the Mac version (the BootCamp version downloads and works OK).

I got that with .16 Mac version of TTH but have not seen it with the .26 version.

I got that with .16 Mac version of TTH but have not seen it with the .26 version.

I just got the .28 Mac version this morning and I still get the download error.

Well I didn't have any this morning when I updated my unit with .58 still installed (and I know I got updates with .58 installed) so it's possible there are no updates to be had. I also got the GPSFix update just prior to updating as well. So mine was fully up to date prior to updating TTHome - so I cannot comment on whether it works or not.
If I do end up with an update, I'll come back and edit. ;)

Well it doesn't surprise me that there are no updates - the maps are missing from the MapShare preferences again... LOL

I still have no idea if I am getting any POI updates or not. I wish they'd seperate the Map updates and the POI updates so we can know for sure (and of course I wish they'd document the changes as well!)

1:15pm AST I got a MapShare update with 2.2.2.83 installed.

Last edited:
I guess we have successfully tested their software for them again!!! At least they're quick to push out a new version after they identify bugs...:D

Yep. Same junk, new version number. Mine won't even boot up.
I get this message:

A copy of TomTom HOME is already open. Only one copy of TomTom HOME can be open at a time.

Maybe it's time to band together and start a Class Action Lawsuit against these guys.

OFF TOPIC, YET RELATED...
The 720 unit itself is no gem. Just went to Palm Desert for the weekend.
TomTom calculated a route that was 2 hours 43 minutes long. Not the way I usually go. I tried to get it plot my route (2 hours flat to 2 hours 15 minutes time wise). It would not let me redirect the route to the one I wanted.
Good thing I knew where I was going.

Oh, and after a full charge, the unit went dead after less than 1 hour. Specs say it has 5 hours of battery life after full charge. Yeah, right:confused:

Oh yeah, this was the email I got from them yesterday:

Dear Mr Barzman,

The emulator functionality should be operable with your TomTom GO 720 and HOME version 2.2 and later. Please make sure you have updated to the latest version of HOME by clicking on HELP > CHECK FOR TOMTOM HOME UPDATE. The current version of TomTom HOME for Mac OS is 2.2.2.28. You can always view your current version of TomTom HOME by clicking on TOMTOM HOME > ABOUT TOMTOM HOME.

If you are still experiencing issues with emulator and you have updated to the latest version of HOME, try the following:

1. Use DEVICE > DISCONNECT DEVICE and the remove your TomTom device from the USB cable.
2. Exit HOME by clicking on TOMTOM HOME > QUIT TOMTOM HOME.
3. Go into Macintosh HD > Users > TomTom > Library > Application Support > TomTom HOME > Profiles > [Random String] > extensions and delete the random string folder there. This folder typically has the format of 'Navcore.xxxx'.
4. Restart TomTom HOME and connect your device to the computer.
5. When you click on Operate My TomTom it will prompt you to download the latest emulator application from the server.

Please let us know if your issue persists.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Yep. Same junk, new version number. Mine won't even boot up.
I get this message:

A copy of TomTom HOME is already open. Only one copy of TomTom HOME can be open at a time.

Maybe it's time to band together and start a Class Action Lawsuit against these guys.

OFF TOPIC, YET RELATED...
The 720 unit itself is no gem. Just went to Palm Desert for the weekend.
TomTom calculated a route that was 2 hours 43 minutes long. Not the way I usually go. I tried to get it plot my route (2 hours flat to 2 hours 15 minutes time wise). It would not let me redirect the route to the one I wanted.
Good thing I knew where I was going.

Oh, and after a full charge, the unit went dead after less than 1 hour. Specs say it has 5 hours of battery life after full charge. Yeah, right:confused:

I'm curious. If you know where you are going, the route you are taking, why do you need your Tom Tom?
To each his own, I suppose. Try this to customize routes

http://houghi.org/tomtom/

If you know where you are going, the route you are taking, why do you need your Tom Tom?

:confused: :confused: I've often wanted to ask the very same thing.:confused: :confused:

Maybe it's just me......... but machines telling me where to go when i'm quite knowledgeable of where i'm going ? Don't make sense.

It is verifying routes that you know that will create trust for the unit when you are routing somewhere you are unfamiliar with.
Also getting used to the nuances of how to get the best results from the GPS is important as well. Knowing that usually the TT estimates are off by X amount, you can assume that any additional route you try and plan will probably be similar in outcome.
I know my way around to 95% of the places I've used my GPS to route me to so far... But I have no other chance to use it yet. If I realize the silly things the unit does, perhaps I can avoid those issues when I use the GPS to an unknown location.

:confused: :confused: I've often wanted to ask the very same thing.:confused: :confused:

Maybe it's just me......... but machines telling me where to go when i'm quite knowledgeable of where i'm going ? Don't make sense.

Yeah, and there are people that complain when the machine isn't as smart as they are! Cracks me up! :D I admit, it's kinda cool to have the map to look at as I'm driving around, but if I know where I'm going, and I've been there before, I don't plan the route with my Tom Tom, I use my brain brain!!!:D :D

I use my brain !!!:D :D

...... add a good Atlas to that brain and you've got the best Guidance System, bar none.

Even after using TomTom daily for the past 4 years, I still pre-plan all unknown routes using my Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.

atlas.jpg

...... add a good Atlas to that brain and you've got the best Guidance System, bar none.

Even after using TomTom daily for the past 4 years, I still pre-plan all unknown routes using my Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas.

Laminated pages, schweet!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I'm curious. If you know where you are going, the route you are taking, why do you need your Tom Tom?
To each his own, I suppose. Try this to customize routes

http://houghi.org/tomtom/

How do you get TomTom ONE 3rd edition to use this itinerary information? I put the .itm file on my TT in the itn folder and there doesn't seem to be a place to select this route. A limitation of this version?

Ask a Question