TMC Traffic In Canada, TomTom lets you down

OK....so I have read this in a few threads on this site...and I want to understand who else is in the same boat as myself.

I purchased the 930T about 2 years ago...under the specific promise of life-long access to TMC via the included RDS-TMC receiver. It finally dawned on me that Tom Tom is expecting that people in NA fork over significant cash (something like 50 Euros per year) to "allow me" to receive TMC broadcasts here in Toronto after the first year.

TomTom support claims this could never have been offered to me.

Reading their site here : TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems
I don't find any mention that Canada requires any type of renewal....only the U.S. customers.

So...I am massively annoyed now...to the point that I think I will never use TomTom products again, or promote them to people that ask. Is anyone else here in this boat? Does anyone have any more information?

I feel like I've been ripped off. I believe that I paid the initial fee up front when I bought it....so why can't TomTom stop the greed wagon and let me receive my traffic data??

In North America (which includes Canada, eh?) the first year of use with the rds antenna is included in the cost of the antenna, after that the renewal is about $60 US/year. In Europe, the subscription is free for life.

While this all may seem unfair on the part of TomTom, it isn't a 'rip off'. The subscription cost was always a known issue from the start, just as a monthly fee for the 740 Live (which we don't have in Canada) is mandatory for continued functionality.

Sorry...I don't agree. This fee was not known to me from the start...then again, I was an early adopter.

I distinctly don't remember any mention of a yearly fee for TMC. However, I do remember being told it's one fee up front. It seems to me that TomTom has changed their Cdn policy somewhere over the course of the last two years. I have seen several other people on this site mention the same belief in other threads.

Was this a side effect of early adoption of this RDS-TMC receiver that came with the 930T?

I still feel I've been ripped off. I didn't get what I signed up for, and to make matters worse.....to get what I want will require $60 per year. And what about the page I referenced?? Clearly there is no mention of yearly fees for Canadian customers. This really is a giant crock of you-know-what.

Sorry...I don't agree. This fee was not known to me from the start...then again, I was an early adopter.
You must have been as the 930 was first sold in Canada in the last week of May 2008, before the 930T was offered.
I distinctly don't remember any mention of a yearly fee for TMC. However, I do remember being told it's one fee up front. It seems to me that TomTom has changed their Cdn policy somewhere over the course of the last two years. I have seen several other people on this site mention the same belief in other threads.
I distinctively remember reading up on the UK site that it is an up front fee only.
Was this a side effect of early adoption of this RDS-TMC receiver that came with the 930T?
Since you say that you got traffic for two years I was wondering if you got a European unit. But then again, the European antenna is different from the North American so that couldn't be it.
I still feel I've been ripped off. I didn't get what I signed up for, and to make matters worse.....to get what I want will require $60 per year. And what about the page I referenced?? Clearly there is no mention of yearly fees for Canadian customers. This really is a giant crock of you-know-what.
Since your referenced web site clearly shows as Canadian and the 1* foot mark ONLY spells out USA you should have a good case in demanding at least a one year extension.

I suggest you raise a Support question and attach a screen print of that page in addition to cite the URL.
Also, make sure you supply the POP (proof of purchase) receipt.

When writing be factual and polite but clearly state your demand.
Good luck..

Traffic via mobile phone connection not available in Canada!

I was just told by a TomTom service rep that Traffic via Bluetooth/mobile phone link DOES NOT WORK in Canada. I bought this unit with the intention of using traffic but now high and dry. Is this true? Is anyone else out there in Toronto (or elsewhere in Canada) using bluetooth connection to a mobile phone to receive traffic? Help!

I know that traffic via rds-tmc antenna DOES work in the Toronto area but that's not what you are asking, I know.

In this link, it appears that Traffic Plus is NOT available in Canada at all.

Ask a Question