The Ultimate Tour Guide

TomTom Model(s)
TT ONE
I have been thinking about this for some time now, but have not found it actually implemented. I am relatively new to the world of GPS ownership, so maybe it already exists in some form or fashion. If it does, please? do tell.

The idea starts with a Mashup, consisting of some mapping software (available from the WWW), and a database where people from the public domain could enter events that happened at specific locations in the world. Perhaps, it could even be a mashup between Wikipedia and Google Earth (as an example).

I would call it something like, PD HIP (Public Domain Historical Interest Points). One could run PD HIP (or, browse to it from their browser). Outline a geographical area, and download all those Historically Interesting Points directly on their TT1, as perhaps POIs. Each HIP would also contain a file (mp3, or wav perhaps).

When actually driving around this area, as you approach this HIP, the story would unfold. For example, you could be driving someplace in the Gold Country of California, coming up to where gold was first discovered, and an interesting narrative of what happened, when, and so on, making the trip interesting for the whole family. I think it would be very important to keep this Public Domain, so as not to allow historical revisionists to distort what really happened there.

I believe Garmin has this feature in one of their nav systems.

You can have voice record so that when you pass the POI, it will read out stuff (e.g. say you recorded some cool facts or history about that site).

Ask a Question