Spoken road numbers, format query.

Hello everyone,
I've just this week got my first ever Sat Nav, a TomTom Go 750 Live, and have just discovered this site. During my first journey with the TT I notice that when speaking road numbers the unit refers to the road as, say for the A630, "A six hundred and thirty" rather than "A six three zero. And for the A1024 as "A one thousand and twenty four" rather than "A one zero two four.
My question is, can the format of spoken numbers be changed?

Renaming or removing cphoneme.dat does not address the issue of numbered roads being spoken as numbers, such as FM 1484 being spoken "FM one thousand four hundred eighty four." I have just started my search for a solution.
Cheers,
kev

Yeah, that it won't do.........but if you read through the link provided in the previous post, you'll see some ways to alter appropriate .lex files that may help........but it's not easy to do.

dhn
I have read through several of the active threads in search of a solution to this & most are a mix of fixing TTS speach (mostly general TTS pronunciation) with a few references to the road number format. It is very hard for me to find & follow the threads that are relevant. I see a sticky for "Number Enunciation" & it seems to target the issue, but I want to be sure that relevant research finds it's way to this thread. I understand that the context of the road number, such as a preceding US, Hwy & I or such may be a factor in how the numbers are handled, but I see no reference to FM (farm to market) road designation. I don't want to loose track of the research being done on this & fear that work being done on spoken road numbers may be buried in general TTS speach discussions.

Any suggestions & help is appreciated. Like what to search for to find relevant posts. Maybe a common terminology to describe the issue?
Thanks,
kev

You might want to experiment with the .rex file. This files sets the rules for regular expression for the normal roadways here in the USA (Highways, Interstates and Freeways). I think that you would need to setup a separate rule for FM roadways. This would only work if the provided TT maps somehow distinguish the FM roadways as being different from regular roadways. I kinda understand the process but actually doing it is way beyond me. Good luck in your search.

Thanks, I will take a look. I am OK with copying or editing existing data, but adding content? Not so much. Hopefully someone will blaze the trail & I can follow.
Cheers,
kev

Was just thinking about this & it dawned on me that I want the numbers spoken properly in all cases. Regardless on the context, I would like 123 to be spoken one twenty three. Numbers should have the same rules whenever they are encountered. The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that this is a basic English speech issue & not related to type of road. I understand that there are specific rules for speech synthesizers to pronounce letters individually instead of making a word out of a string of letters, so a string of numbers should "obey" a global rule. I am sure there are more aspects that make this a very complex issue to implement, but I think it is worth pursuing. Hmmmmm, just thought that the 2 digit numbers are spoken properly & it's the larger numbers that go astray. Maybe breaking the larger numbers into 1 or 2 digit segments would work. 1484 is currently spoken "one thousand four hundred eighty four", but 14_84 would probably be spoken "fourteen eighty four". Anyway, I better stop now, 'cause I don't really have the skills to make any of this happen.
Cheers,
kev

My TOMTOM now says Fm fourteeneightyfour instead of Fm one thousand four hundred eighty four road. I renamed the road from Fm 1484 Rd. to Fm 14 84. With a space between 14 & 84. I did it to a couple other Fm roads too. Sounds perfect now. I did not choose to "share" the name change, because it does look a bit different on the map. Actually, on map browse, the name is Fm 14/84, but on the unit screen it is Fm 14 84. It was a bit tedious to change the name, as you have to select segment by segment to get the whole road, unless I have missed something. It would be nice to be able to select the whole road at once. I will explore this further. I'm jazzed.

Cheers,
kev

Ask a Question