Go 500 EU - expecting spoken road names.

TomTom Model(s)
Go 500 EU
I am new to this forum, so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area.
When I setup my TomTom, it had no voices at all! I eventually restored the device and saved a couple of standard voices.
I was expecting my TomTom to speak road names, e.g. turn left onto New Road, etc, but my Go 500 doesn't.
Have I bought the wrong model, or do I have to download, buy add on(s)?
If I have bought the wrong model, which model should I have bought and will I have any problems returning/replacing it, as it is not faulty?

Please advise.

Jimbo

Your model should have a computer voice that can (and should) be selected. That's the one that speaks street names.

If you don't see one listed, change your language on the device from English_UK to English_US and then back to English_UK. Is the computer voice listed now for selection? (I think it is 'Jane' that you are looking for).

I eventually restored the device and saved a couple of standard voices.
Can you elaborate a bit on that?!? Not clear what you did when you say 'restored' and 'saved'.

Your unit definitely should have available at least one computer voice (text to speech that pronounces streets) and a few that are 'recorded' voices that just provide basic instructions.

Canderson.
To reset/restore I depressed the power button for about 30 seconds and this seemed to reset the device.
I then navigated (ho ho) to Voices and selected Jane, etc

Cheers dhn!
Have done as you suggested and now see 'Serena Computer voice - reads aloud street names'. I selected 'Serena' and a quick test confirms spoken street names. (When I did the reset above, I don't remember see 'Selena', but it's possible I simply selected 'Jane' coz I remember 'her' from my 710).
Think I am going to download (or even print) the idiots guide and do a spot of reading....
Thanks for your help.

Cheers all.
Jimbo

Ah, OK. A true 'restore' is quite another operation. What you did was simply to hard reboot it, which is often helpful.

Glad to hear you're hearing from Serena now.

Ask a Question