Soon the 4th tomtom xl 330 replacement

:(
Soon the 4th xl 330 will be sent back as a replacement. The previous ones had the older map 835 and when I went to get the new map (845) it would crash and not load it. After many hours with tech support they finally tried to reformat the tomtom but it was so screwed up even Windows wouldn't format it.

My question:you guys probably have had these problems before (saw some in my search) so what's the best way to get the new map on it? I'll uninstall tomtom home, delete the tomtom folders whatever it takes.
I can do this on my desktop running 64 bit windows 7 ultimate or my wives running Vista or my lap top running xp. Don't care as long as I can get it on there without "toasting" the tomtom.

Zig 123

Out of the computers you have available go for the Laptop running XP as Windows 7 is known to be problematic with TomTom Home and even Vista 64 bit isn't in wide spread use so is a bit of an unknown.

When you get the next unit make a full back up to the Laptop using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do anything else at all, then install Home from the download directly from TomTom, register the device using a unique e-mail address that you haven't previously used with a TomTom device (even (e-mail address removed) is acceptable as far as the server at TomTom is concerned, just the format of the e-mail is checked and it doesn't need to be an address you actually use).
Next update the device before using LMG to grab the latest map (wait till at least next Tuesday before using LMG, and prior to doing so check the v850 maps have been released) - you have 28 days in which to use LMG so you might as well wait a few days to get the very latest - Mike

Do it delete old map first?

Ok, do back in windows, download new Home 2.7, update device via Home but uncheck new map unless it's ver 850. Got that but what about trying to install 825 mg on a 1 gig drive that already has 959 mg on it? Do I delete the old map in widows explorer or will TT home overwrite it by itself. This process is what screwed up the other TT's I have went thru so far.

Zig 123

Back up the unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Once you are sure the backup IS on the computer, delete the specific map folder using Homes' Manage my Device, Items on device, map and select to remove. Then you'll have space for the new map.

Ask a Question