Some Concerns re: new TOMTOM one

Background:
I have rented a few cars in the last year with a gps system. The last one being a Garmin midline model. My only complaint about the Garmin was that it seemed like I was typing a lot in order to set an address to travel to.

Nearly 2 weeks ago I took advantage of the Office Depot TOMTOM ONE sale. I have a few days left in deciding whether to keep it. ( I would have probably bought a nuvi 350 for $350 at costo if I hadn't already bought the TOMTOM).
Since I bought it I obtained the revised map DVD ($6) and a 2M SD to but NA maps on it

Issues & questions:
1) My unit when I brought it on a recent trip couldn't find any satellites for at least 5 min, I had to remove the SD card etc and eventually it worked . Is this typical? I hadn't updated any software etc , It was the unit as shipped to me.
I have since updated to the latest software tec
2) My unit shows only .5m megs of memory free., It this normal? It sometimes seems sluggish when entering address etc.
3)I was testing it out in the advanced planning mode and it was taking a long long time in planning a trip from michigan to LA.
4)I noticed that for POI i could find phone numbers of businesses only in the Map mode is this correct?
5)Are there any advantages of the TOMTOM ONE over the NAVI 350 ( assuming I will not be using any TOMTOM plus services)?
6) would i get better performance with just the us and canada maps , if so can I use them from the dvd or will my downloading the NA maps from the dvd prevent from from downloading the U s maps now?
Observations:
-Its recalculations appear to be fast ( when i go off route)
-On my recent trip once the satellite situation got resolved it got me where I needed to go in Miami and Miami Beach
-The was an error or temporary blockage in the map on Telegraph rd near the airport in michigan that appears to have been fixed with the new maps

1) My unit when I brought it on a recent trip couldn't find any satellites for at least 5 min, I had to remove the SD card etc and eventually it worked . Is this typical? I hadn't updated any software etc , It was the unit as shipped to me.
I have since updated to the latest software tec
No. Not typical. If you updated the app to version 6.56 and HOME to 1.5 you should get the QuickFix that will help this very issue.

2) My unit shows only .5m megs of memory free., It this normal? It sometimes seems sluggish when entering address etc.
You probably have all the POIs enabled. Disable them or only enable a few. Free RAM typically runs from .8-1.1MB depending on what other apps are running.

3)I was testing it out in the advanced planning mode and it was taking a long long time in planning a trip from michigan to LA.
This would have to do with available free RAM I would think. I never have a problem with quick routes when using advanced planning.

4)I noticed that for POI i could find phone numbers of businesses only in the Map mode is this correct?
You won't be able to get info on any POI while in Nav mode, you'll have to go to the browse map function.

5)Are there any advantages of the TOMTOM ONE over the NAVI 350 ( assuming I will not be using any TOMTOM plus services)?
Plenty of advantages... if you like a device that you can 'tweak' and customize, compared to a GPS only device. have you checked out any of the 3rd-party apps found throughout this site?

6) would i get better performance with just the us and canada maps , if so can I use them from the dvd or will my downloading the NA maps from the dvd prevent from from downloading the U s maps now?
All maps on the DVD are installable, provided you have space. You can only use one map at a time however. There has been great debates on the differences in the NA map vs the USA_Canada Map. Seems most like the NA map, more POIs. But the road data seems to be the same. This turns into personal preference.

PS... stick with the ONE. And stick with this site for all your TomTom questions/remarks. You won't be disappointed...with either!! ;)

Thanks!

What are the tweeks and 3rd party apps that you are talking about on here that would be most useful?
I'm still only showing .6 free memory
should I reset ?

Do you have an active route still? Clear your route. other apps are:
Tripmaster
suntime
Event_Logger
Media Player

to name a few...

tweaks...
ALL the custom POIs here
screen capture
Image Slide show

among others...

The ability to have TripMaster alone would sell me if I were on the fence. But I also come from a technical background and I woudl much rather have something I can tweak rather than something that can only be used as designed.

Not sure that will, but definately won't hurt.

I have TripMaster running on boot, suntime, and Event_logger running in the background. I have 1.1MB RAM free. Oh, an active route running too...

Everything seems to run fine and at a descent speed for me. But then, I have a "fast" SD card too. That doesn't effect free RAM though.

Not that I ever heard of. There is an option to select fastest, shortest, walking, bicycles...etc. Are you selecting fastest? Something doesn't seem right.

only about 15 seconds to cincinnati

Long distances seem to give it trouble. I am not sure if it's my Kingston SD 2 meg , I will switch it out when I get back home and use original 1 Meg card .
giving up the extra poi.

Try out with the original SD card.

also I'm assuming you were talking about RAM when you said "0.5 to 0.7 free" right?

If so, then maybe it isn't the RAM but the SD card that's slowing down the calculations. I routinely have 0.0 to 0.4MB of RAM free and I have no issue calculating a trip from BC to CA.

Indeed, to reinforce what Battom said, I do like the fact that you can customise TomToms. I can watch movies, play games and run custom POIs.

my SD card + another question

I bet it is my new card because things seem to be sluggish even entering addresses, I will download the new usa & canada map from the dvd I had ordered and replace my old maps with them on my original card i think i can live without all the extra poi's until i get better SD card
Anyone have recommendations at to model and brand of SD card that works well for them in their tomtom one?

Question
About Advanced Planning
I can do advaced planning with mapquest or google maps free on the internet correct?
what benefit would I get from doing it on the tomtom? once i have it advance plan it doesn't seem to retain anything when I turn it back on when I actually will be using it to go on the trip or does it? Am I missing something?

Card:

This is the one I have, got it for $27. Shop around, don't buy direct. Works great!
http://www.edgetechcorp.com/digital-media/proshot-130x-sd.asp

Usinghte TomTom for advance planning gives you a more accurate distance and time if you were to use the route TomTom provides. with the ones on the internet you can't choose "fastest" or "shortest" route... or any of the other route options TomTom has, easily.

thanks

FYI mapquest does have Advanced Options: Shortest Time,Shortest Distance,
Avoid Highways , Avoid Tolls ,
Avoid Seasonally-Closed Roads
Reverse Route .

Is there a way to save the Advanced planning so when I use it to actually take the trip any changes ( avoiding road etc )are reflected and I don't have to start from scratch?

I have never found Mapquest to be very accurate. sure it'll do it online and look nice, but if you print out the route and try to follow it, inevitably, I always run into a problem.

Advance planning saves. Not that I know of. But you CAN use Itinerary. you can also use TYRE to convert mapquest and Google maps to an Itinerary... (I use Google earth and TripMaster)

Just to answer a question posted earlier. the Rerouting is pretty quick
The ONE reroutes as fast as my 910.

Thanks P. I musta missed that...
tomtomusa.jpg

just tried my original sd card

The route planning was faster but took about a min to route from detroit to los angeles.
Also intereseting there is now 5M of free memory!
This is the oringal card with the original software i received with my unit I will be updating it to current specs soon and compare everything then.

Ask a Question